Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jediwho
For people who have Amex Delta Reserve card, how many MQMs can be gifted every year and also how frequently? If it is one time a year, I am assuming the max that can be gifted would be 24,999 points. Thanks.
The Reserve card can have two 15K MQM "mileage boosts" for reaching $30K and $60K in spending. AFAIK nothing prevents you from gifting both of them to the same person. (Your assumption is sort of off to begin with, I think -- the recipient might not need the full 25K to move up a level anyway)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
The Reserve card can have two 15K MQM "mileage boosts" for reaching $30K and $60K in spending. AFAIK nothing prevents you from gifting both of them to the same person. (Your assumption is sort of off to begin with, I think -- the recipient might not need the full 25K to move up a level anyway)
Thanks! The gifting option is at the end of the year, right? Could my wife also gift me MQMs she earned by flying on DAL along with MQMs she gets by spending on the Reserve card?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks! The gifting option is at the end of the year, right? Could my wife also gift me MQMs she earned by flying on DAL along with MQMs she gets by spending on the Reserve card?
The 15K MQM boosts become available shortly after the statement closes when the $30K or $60K spending threshold is passed. The cardholder then has 90 days to decide whether to keep them or gift them (after 90 days they are automatically deposited into the cardholder's account).

MQMs earned by flying cannot be gifted. A person can, however, hold both a personal and a business Reserve card.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Multiple credit card MQMs

When I've maxed out my Reserve card 30,000 MQMs can I get another card and get more MQMs?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I should be AA Exec Pat in two months and have a business class flight end of Feb 2017 from LAX to Europe on AF/KLM but sold by Delta. That would get me close to 18K MQMs for the 25K challenge for Delta Diamond.

When should I request for the challenge and how much time do they take to approve the request.

Also, I have applied for Delta Platinum and will be getting the Reserve in a month or two. My guess is that I should be able to rollover these miles to next year. Would these count towards the 125k that I eventually will try to do during the remainder of the year to get to Diamond if I have transferred before completing the challenger?

What would be the best way/timing to maximize and make it easy for me to get the status match that coincides with my already booked business class to Europe and then to get to Diamond next year?

Last edited by jediwho; Jun 8, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by rokeeffe
When I've maxed out my Reserve card 30,000 MQMs can I get another card and get more MQMs?
Literally answered in the post above yours You could have personal/biz DL Reserve and personal/biz DL Plat and get 100K MQMs from $220K annual spend.

I should be AA Exec Pat in two months and have a business class flight end of Feb 2017 from LAX to Europe on AF/KLM but sold by Delta. That would get me close to 18K MQMs for the 25K challenge for Delta Diamond. [...] Also, I have applied for Delta Platinum and will be getting the Reserve in a month or two. My guess is that I should be able to rollover these miles to next year.
If you qualify for DM via match, you won't rollover any MQMs unless you also go over 125K MQMs for the year, assuming the terms for your DM challenge are like the published terms for the publicly-available challenges:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...challenge.html

See also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

Last edited by Zorak; Jun 16, 2016 at 9:59 pm Reason: can't believe no one noticed/pointed out the math error :o
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
When did DL start doing challenges to Diamond? I thought Platinum was the highest status available for a challenge.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
When did DL start doing challenges to Diamond? I thought Platinum was the highest status available for a challenge.
Me too; I assumed OP has a targeted challenge, similar to how AA doesn't offer EXP challenges in general but there are people who get them through work etc.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:27 pm

Please let me know if this makes sense. I got Amex DL Platinum card a few days ago -- my statement closes on the 5th:

* Get 10,000 MQM after $2,000 spend
* Earn 14,500 MQM before end of the year
* Spend $24,900 till December 30 and another $100 the next day to get 10,000 MQM and roll it over to next year.....this seems far fetched and I am not sure if this would work.
* Roll over at least 24,500 MQM to 2017 and hopefully 34,500
* Get Delta Reserve next year for 10,000 MQM
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:54 pm

Only MQMs in excess of one of the earning thresholds are rolled over.

If you are currently at 0 and plan to earn 10K MQMs for the $2k AMEX spend signup bonus, fly 14,500 MQM by year-end, and spend a total of $25K on the AMEX for another 10K MQMs, you will have earned 34,500 MQMs, qualify for Silver, and rollover 9,500 MQMs into 2017.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Only MQMs in excess of one of the earning thresholds are rolled over.

If you are currently at 0 and plan to earn 10K MQMs for the $2k AMEX spend signup bonus, fly 14,500 MQM by year-end, and spend a total of $25K on the AMEX for another 10K MQMs, you will have earned 34,500 MQMs, qualify for Silver, and rollover 9,500 MQMs into 2017.
Thanks. But is there anyway to time the 25K spend in such a way that I get them next year and not this? Say hypothetically, I get just 5K from flying, 10K MQM from the signup bonus and 10K from spending $25 K -- I complete my spending on December 31st, would Delta give me the Gold status for a few hours for that day?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:37 am

Thanks. But is there anyway to time the 25K spend in such a way that I get them next year and not this? Say hypothetically, I get just 5K from flying, 10K MQM from the signup bonus and 10K from spending $25 K -- I complete my spending on December 31st, would Delta give me the Gold status for a few hours for that day?
1. No. AMEX MQMs from spend thru 12/31 will post as 2015 MQMs, even if your statement closes in January, and in the case of the Reserve even if you wait until 2016 to claim them. It'd probably be worth your while to go thru some of the AMEX threads in the DL forum, for example

End of Year MQM Boost on Delta Amex Platinum
Delta Amex MQM Bonuses
Delta Reserve bonus MQM question (MQM's deducted if purchase returned?)

2. If you first hit gold (or any level) any time during 2016 you'll be gold for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017 also. But note that gold is 50K MQMs and your example only has 25K = silver.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:24 pm

If the answer's in here somewhere I apologize in advance for not finding it!

I hit the $25K Amex spend threshold, which has confirmed my Silver for next year; I'm 9000 MQM shy of Gold now, and will hit it by Fall regardless of the answer to my question.

With a $25K Amex spend on the Delta Amex Platinum come 10,000 bonus MQM - BUT, in my case, the spend was spread over two separate Amex Platinums (one personal, one business). Will the combination-spend qualify me for the 10,000 MQM, or do I need to hit that threshold all on one card?

Why I care is I fly MSP to LHR next month and would like to use the Skyclub free with Gold status.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by BSAChris
... Will the combination-spend qualify me for the 10,000 MQM, or do I need to hit that threshold all on one card?

Thanks!
Per card. No combining $$s. Sorry
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
If I am a platinum medallion now and a book a flight sometime in 2017 today and I fail to re qualify for status in 2017 do I still get platinum benefits such as comfort + upon booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.