Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)

Found it online during a search 3 minutes ago...(instead of "get the popcorn..." I decided to put the note "let's see"- IMHO there are pros and cons in changes)

Summary-
(a) dollar spending will come effective in 2014, with an option to meet them through amex.
This rule Seems to apply only for US based members (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
(b) some changes to certain fare class fares (see M fare rules below- no more 50% MQM bonus, but see also J/F bonuses increase to 100% MQM).
(c) The link to additional details on dollar spending (here) is not working on the updates news at this time, but based on the range published seems to at 10 cents a mile if one fly only the minimum miles per qualification (I would guess by the range of dollar spending published, see also gj83 post below. But, the more you fly the lower the actual cost per mqm may be for you).
(d) rollover remains

my initial thoughts:
I actually find the changes interesting (and that is a positive note)--Some changes seem good, some are not as good. So far, I do see more positive than negative.
It seems that pure mileage runners may have a "bump", but even that depends on the amount of MR/way in which they budget it. In fact, if one conducts alot of MR's they would have no problem maintaining (and even increasing) status.

After reading the "news and updates", I do find that some points may require a little clarification (I also added/linked o other questions that were raised in the thread, so it can be used as a list of F.A.Q.- if anyone wants to scan through the thread and collect the rest of the F.A.Q's I can add them here as well, or a mod can take over the post and do that):

1. I can't tell which airline partner earnings are changing from reviewing the website. (aside from the clarification for for certain partners below, which may be the only changes). Can anyone verify/clarify on that?
2. In addition, I do see some interesting questions raised below ( e.g. meeting MQM and not meeting MQD, what would be the rollover? e.g. if one earned 55,000 MQM but made the MQD for silver, would they roll 30,000 MQM? see also here and here,)
3. spending on delta: how would (if any) spending with JV flights, and skyteam partners count? would codeshare flights count towards spending? would it matter if it is a delta coded ticket (006xxx) or a different airline coding (e.g. 057xxxx)
in fact, there are few additional scenarios here [some examples, there are initial 8 different options on the basis of 2*2*2 options...(flying DL metal/other metal)*(flying DL tkt number/other)*(flying DL flight #/other airline's flight #)]:

John purchase 057 tkt flying on DL metal.
Jane purchase 055 tkt flying AZ metal on a DL codeshare number
Jin purchase 006 tkt flying on AF/KL metal on DL codeshare number,
Jim purchase 006 tkt flying on DL metal (assuming this one is counted),
and there are additional options (e.g. using 006 tkt to fly AF JV tkt with a segment that is on AZ, etc.)
see also sd1024 question about Alaska's flights

4. someone will ask it at some point- would $ spending thresholds rollover?

5. Vouchers: Would VDB or choice benefits vouchers used for to purchase tickts apply to the dollar threshold? (see BamaGirl's posting)

Request from fellow FT members: please PLEASE let's try keeping the discussion on-topic. We all have strong 'feelings' about it, but it would allow us and the official reps. to have a real Q&A discussion

Link:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-updates.html# (Note- at this time, it seems that it was taken off the website's news and updates section)

from delta.com

Earning Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs)
Beginning March 1, 2013, the MQMs SkyMiles members earn on select fare classes will change:
For Delta-marketed flights, the MQM bonus for First/Business F and J fare classes will double from 50% to 100%, and Economy M fare class will no longer earn a 50% MQM bonus. This change will apply to tickets purchased on or after March 1, 2013.
The above changes also will apply to F-, J- and M-equivalent fare-class tickets on Aeromexico-, Air France-KLM-, Alaska-, Alitalia-, and Virgin Australia-marketed flights. This change will apply to travel flown on or after March 1, 2013.
The MQMs you earn on certain other partner-marketed flights will adjust for travel flown on or after March 1, 2013. Visit delta.com/partnerairlines for details by carrier.
Please note that the way you currently earn redeemable miles is not changing.
Learn more about earning MQMs on Delta- and partner-marketed flights.
Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) - Coming Next Year
Beginning January 1, 2014, SkyMiles members residing in the United States (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will qualify for Medallion status based on an additional threshold – the member’s annual spending with Delta, which will be measured by Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria.
The threshold ranges from $2,500-$12,500 MQDs depending on Medallion level.
Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.

Last edited by DLroads; Jan 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Woah. It is here.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Clicking on View details for each Medallion level and additional information takes me to Requested Page Not Found.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:13 am

so should we assume:
$2,500 Silver
$5,000 Gold
$7,500 Platinum
$12,500 Diamond?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Doesn't seem that bad. Losing the 50% bonus on M stinks, but all in all not bad.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
You'd think that an announcement of major programmatic changes would be accompanied by a functioning website describing said changes. Clicking on "View details for each Medallion level and additional information" for the proposed MQDs yields a "Requested Page Not Found" Come on DL, if you're going to announce stuff, at least do it properly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Interesting. Wonder if they broke this website early or something like that (given that the links don't all work)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Now I can finally say "Don't tell me I didn't warn you!"
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
So B and Y classes still earn the 50% MQM bonus?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Doesn't seem that bad. Losing the 50% bonus on M stinks, but all in all not bad.
Agree about the M-fare changes but really like the Fand J class increase in MQM bonus.

Ultimately Delta is rewarding those that spend money with them-what a crazy concept

No changes to rollover-that is very good
No changes to reward redemption levels-very good

Would have liked to see a level about Diamond but that is also okay

All in all a very realistic program
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLroads
Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) - Coming Next Year
Beginning January 1, 2014, SkyMiles members residing in the United States (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will qualify for Medallion status based on an additional threshold – the member’s annual spending with Delta, which will be measured by Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria.
The threshold ranges from $2,500-$12,500 MQDs depending on Medallion level.
Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.
I don't get it.
Do you need to qualify for both the MQD and MQM threshold, or do you need to qualify for the MQD or MQM threshold?

Originally Posted by Smaug
So B and Y classes still earn the 50% MQM bonus?
How about S fares?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
You'd think that an announcement of major programmatic changes would be accompanied by a functioning website describing said changes. Clicking on "View details for each Medallion level and additional information" for the proposed MQDs yields a "Requested Page Not Found" Come on DL, if you're going to announce stuff, at least do it properly.
couldn't open it either.

delta.com ----- speechless.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't get it.
Do you need to qualify for both the MQD and MQM threshold, or do you need to qualify for the MQD or MQM threshold?
Both, it appears.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
The MQDs are going to hit folks who have been "roll-overing" their way to status on off years. I think it's nearly impossible to get FO the first time without either spending 2500 OR having the AMEX. I also think most DMs have plenty of spend as well. But if you roll over 24999 and fly 25001, you can get to GM for under $5k.

Thank goodness my little piece of DL plastic solves everything!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't get it.
Do you need to qualify for both the MQD and the MQM threshold, or do you need to qualify for the MQD or MQM threshold?
You have to hit both. I thought the text was relatively clear.

FWIW, the info has been taken down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.