Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Oh don't worry, the rev based redemption system will be coming too. Remember, the initial announcement was just the beginning. Things will be done in phases, and MQMs will be a thing of the past in a couple years and it'll be pure revenue based.

You can kiss your intl BE awards goodbye then, although I'm sure bubba and a couple others will be happy about that so they can sit up front with the rest of the non-revs and not have to see the riffraff pax who got upgraded or are on an award ticket.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Actually, that is not what LedgeT posted at all.
I forget the exact details of who posted what, but I do remember discussion about the codename Polaris release and EoS, along with the phases and 2012 timeline... which they're running about 12-18 months behind.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
We also don't know if the MQDs are only accrued when buying airfare from delta.com directly.
Not likely. This would be majorly disincentivizing, as so many corporate travelers have to book through TA. They would effectively kill any chance of success with that strategy.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:30 am

I wonder if MM still get FO without the spend?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by timmy83
Not likely. This would be majorly disincentivizing, as so many corporate travelers have to book through TA. They would effectively kill any chance of success with that strategy.
Corporate contracts could be made exempt.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Perhaps the DL social ambassador team is here and hard at work... this could've been an experiment to see our reaction.

Although, that assumes that anyone at DL cares about FTers opinions. lol. We're probably too small of a revenue subset to matter.
O hai!

Currently Active Users 490
(133 members & 357 guests)

javabytes, acjflyer, akcae, akonradi, alee0729, arthurhs, ATL787, atlocal, baccarat0809, BamaGirl, BHArt, blagger, blug, bobsmo, BOISJC744, bpe, CarmenOM, Carpboy823, catwings01, CGandM3, chebert999, chickenwing11, chipahoy82, crescidp, currentjer, DaChief, DALPlanefxr, davakkar, davetravels, davisew, Deemus7, dgxoxo, dieuwer2, DiscoPapa, djk7, DJMeatBall, dk240t, DL Platinum, DL2SXM, DLCorpGirl, DLdweeb, DLroads, downhillskier, dsldog400, eturowski, exwannabe, FC flyer, FireEmblemPride, FleetwoodMacPenguin, FlyAO2, flyertalk77, fti, GH83, GMill, GogoSF, hmbdude, holtju2, i_fly_to_much, jason885, jayenoh, jchan2, Jib, justforfun, kcmo57, kerrymac747, KevSki, kfrucker, lsumegan, Luggage Tag, LW50, mAAine_flyer, mbaker0936, mcblowfish, McGoogles, mendel k, MikenFla, mikepa, monitor, mrdebit, mrredskin, MumbaiFlyer, N639DL, Nick22, NYTA, Oakshadow, Orion316, PainCorp, peersteve, PhillyInvestor, poppabear, Pushkin59, RealHJ, roknroll, rusrocket, ryandc99, rylan, Sabai, satish_ny, Scandalrag, sccaflagger74, sectflyer, sethb, sharktums, SkyTeam777, Smaug, spamkiller, stpaulone, superpanjy, TheMadBrewer, timmy83, tnpackfan, ToledoFlyer, TravelingBear, travelsensei, tristans, trvlguy1, TurtleSVS, VladQ, Vuelos, vxmike, wco81, whooperatw, WScottsdaleInsider, xmurphy, zld
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Can DL possibly be more inept when it comes to 1) clear, honest communication of policy with customers, and 2) distribution of said policy?

And another thing....why does DL hate MRs? Often they happen on Saturdays when loads are lighter and DL chooses to offer attractive fares. Why are those folks punished by filling otherwise empty seats at prices DL has established?

Last edited by DLdweeb; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by currentjer
So this impacts only US-based members?
Not that hard to change your address or grab a po box in Canada to forward your once a year skymiles cards and credit card spam to your home address.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I forget the exact details of who posted what, but I do remember discussion about the codename Polaris release and EoS, along with the phases and 2012 timeline... which they're running about 12-18 months behind.
It still doesn't align with this. What LedgeT posted was that there was a switch to revenue-based earning and burning. Release 0 was communication, Release 0.5 was basically the launch of the earning schedule, Release 1 was revenue-based earning, and Release 2 was on hold.

There was no mention of what look to be a minor re-jiggering of MQMs earned for a handful of fare classes or the addition of a minimum spend threshold. There was no incremental, phased approach mentioned in LedgeT's info and certainly nothing like what we see here. LedgeT may still ultimately be proven correct on the construction of a possible future program but what has been posted here in no way aligns with it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Can DL possibly be more inept when it comes to 1) clear, honest communication of policy with customers, and 2) distribution of said policy?
Again, this all follows their clear policy of being disingenuous with their customers. Dropping immediately effective changes from the sky, announcing an exciting new corporate social media team who is both silent and effectively useless at disseminating information or helping with questions, and sharing with us through website leaks appear to be a part of their policy. I wish it wasn't like this, but it appears to be their means of interaction with paying customers. That said, I don't know if any of the other legacy carriers are better from this perspective (although I am ignorant towards their social presence)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
The other thread was all about mileage accrual and redemption. This announcement (so far) seems to have been all about Medallion qualification. Two different topics.
My point here was that Polaris Chicago is here (quite late, but is now here at last), that's all. And Polaris Chicago is not faring well. And obviously the current award search is just a temporary band-aid solution, thrown in that doesn't look or function consistently with the rest of it. It was said that FBATR would be aligned with Polaris Chicago release timing. That did not take place (but Polaris is here). Obviously DL chose to release the early alpha version of Polaris Chicago out live first, without FBATR, given that it still has countless bugs and issues (and core design flaws) to work out with it.

That was my only point, that Polaris Chicago is here. So if that part of the seemingly leaked memo is true, well, the rest of it is also likely true (at least, back from that time, though the priorities and timelines have likely changed considerably since then). If Polaris Chicago came, as was said there, well, the rest also will likely come, but just like Polaris, likely quite a bit late, and not quite as originally envisoned by DL.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RealHJ
My point here was that Polaris Chicago is here (quite late, but is now here at last), that's all.
?

http://polarischicago.com/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by DLdweeb

And another thing....why does DL hate MRs? Often they happen on Saturdays when loads are lighter and DL chooses to offer attractive fares. Why are those folks punished by filling otherwise empty seats at prices DL has established?
In the CEO letter on Dec's Sky Magazine, Richard Anderson kept emphasizing how important it is to have direct and honest communication with customers. It was a joke, really. Direct and honest communication means telling customers not only how great you are, but also what your problems are and how you are going to fix it. This never ever happens with DL.

DL's philosophy is to treat customers as morons. They make it appear to some people that Skymiles is such a great program; DL's credit cards are such great value; DL's 3-tier award is so great, etcetc.

And it does work in many cases. I have a friend living in NYC with no DL status who keeps using the DL Gold Amex without a clue how to wisely use DL miles.

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Don't forget that many of us probably already have firm travel plans for Spring and Summer. It is outrageous to change the rules come March 1st for airfare already booked. Not to mention the short notice (6 weeks??).
No one held a gun to your head and told you to buy tickets on Delta for Spring or Summer in advance. Take some personal responsibility already!! Delta can and does divulge changes at will, this isn't some secret in the airline industry..........or any industry!

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
So, based strictly on what others have said, I'm not freaking out about this. I'm a new FO, discovering just how prevalent some medallion status is. In my mind, these changes are tailormade to make people in my position feel a little less worthless. Basically, I travel frequently for business (but am no road warrior), once-a-monthish, and regularly for personal reasons, 4 or 5 times per year. Being a hub captive, my fares are high and most of my travel is on Delta. I did the math and with travel already booked in 2013, I'll have ~18K MQMs and have spent ~$2600. Within that total is a trans-atlantic flight, which changes the equation a bit, I realize. When it's all said and done this year, I'm expecting to be bumping up again 50K MQM for the first time (I only moved to Minneapolis and Delta in late 2011) and it seems like I'll be pretty close to $5K in spend as well. Probably a little bit over, in fact.

What would make me sad/apprehensive is revenue-based accrual. I've managed a Europe award ticket and two domestic tickets with my accrual to date. I'd hate to see that upset. Then again, maybe it would work in my favor..That, remains to be seen.

Incidentally, I saw a powerpoint recently where Delta spells out its HVC (high-value customer). Adults, 25-54, HHI of $100K+, Member of at least one FF program, Travel frequently, primarily for business.

Additionally, they are "Always connected to technology, and need connectivity to be successful," "Proud of their status and want to be separated from the pack."

Lastly, it described in great specificity who it wants as its future HVC: people starting families later, people who thrive on an amazing social experience and social validation (rather than expensive status items), people who love storytelling experiences, people who will pay more for comfort and services, but also look for a VIP deal. Especially, they're looking to people who are digital and ecommerce natives.

Not all of that applies, but it starts to, I think, address that shift. So, people who purchase economy comfort, that spend is suddenly recognized by the medallion program through MQDs. Same with their Trip Extras. That, to me, says "people who will pay more for comfort and services, but also look for a VIP deal."

Anyway, I've prattled on too long about something that's not even official. But I thought I'd offer some first-hand experience about what this new earning scheme would mean for me, as well as how it fits in with where Delta's going with its future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.