9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Subscribe
Quote: and is the lounge staffed and equipted to accomodate an unexpecting 300 plus people?

What are the hours for getting passports stamped?

Seriously folks, if you have google earth, fire it up and take a look at how small the Island is and where it is in relation to other Islands and and Continents. You really are pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
I think the SkyClub there is out of biscoffs. Unacceptable.
Going by data I took from the avherald, the plane was N705DN. It looks like the plane landed back in Atlanta about an hour ago.
Quote: Looks like the DL pilots did an amazing job of getting that 777 down on a dot of an Island in the middle of the Atlantic, especially after piloting the plane for X amount of hours. Tremendous skill and great job.
^^^^^^

Absolutely right. You're talking about a 777 here. That is a big mother freaking plane. To manuever that bird from 35K+ feet down to a tiny island in the middle of the atlantic ocean all on one engine aiming for 10k feet of runway space. Incredible feat I say. Good Job delta pilots.

not to mention ASI isn't exactly equipped to handle 300 pax who unexpectedly arrive. Thanks for the report african7
Quote: why not? addd some excitment to the divert.
Sharks in the ocean around Ascension Island. Plus, my group didn't do so well on the raft exercise during Road Warrior Training.
Quote: ^^^^^^

Absolutely right. You're talking about a 777 here. That is a big mother freaking plane. To manuever that bird from 35K+ feet down to a tiny island in the middle of the atlantic ocean all on one engine aiming for 10k feet of runway space. Incredible feat I say. Good Job delta pilots.

not to mention ASI isn't exactly equipped to handle 300 pax who unexpectedly arrive. Thanks for the report african7
Somewhere I read that ASI isn't even equipped for instrument landings, which sounds incredible. Let's remember too that that 777 landed on the tiny island in the middle of the night. I wonder whether there's a story about emergency vehicles using their headlights to light the runway. The entire island might have been awakened to prepare for the arrival....emergency medical (very limited hospital there), getting food for the passengers, etc. It would be almost scary to see such a big plane descending.

I bet some folks in ATL had a sleepless night too waiting for the emergency to be resolved, maybe at Boeing and GE Aircraft Engines too if they were consulted about the mechanical in flight....I hope we'll learn some of that story someday.
Wait, how did she send you an SMS from 35k feet over the middle of the Atlantic?

Quote: My girlfriend was on the flight from JNB to ATL Delta 201. The plane was delayed an hour due to it being heavy and apparently to hot so they had to wait for it to cool down. It was a full flight with no empty seats.
She sent me an sms at 3:45am my time on the 10th Jan. Saying they had to make an emergency landing at Ascension Island due to the plane losing oil and having engine problems. She said there was a streak of white coming out of one engine. Once i spoke to her a few hours later she told me about the whole ordeal. Apparently when they started descending everyone was asleep and she got up due to being anxious about descending in the middle of the ocean. They told her theyre having issues with an engine and will be performing a emergency landing. They also asked her not to say anything. She sat back down. Only about 15-20 minutes later did they make an announcement about the landing with no clear details on why or where.
The landing was very rough with emergency crews everywhere. I don't know how long they stayed on the plane. They disembarked and had to wait around. No delta personnel assisted them only the military attended to them. When i spoke to her they were just sitting around still waiting for information. They were kept somewhere on the airport with bunk beds and very limited facilities. They weren't allowed to leave the airport at all. Even though some of passengers complained and at least wanted to go down to the beach. Later on in the day around 2pm the Captain came finally came out and gave them the first information about what happened and it also was the first contact with the passengers from Delta. Apparently one engine had failed and they were leaking oil and losing oil pressure. Shortly after that she smsed me again saying a plane that had landed had clipped their wing while landing. The army had told the passengers their plane was the biggest that has ever landed there.
They were waiting for a plane to fly in from Atlanta. She wasn't sure if the crew would be changing or kept the same. The Atlanta plane was delayed and she called me at 9:55pm on the 10th Jan (my time) saying they were finally boarding the plane and should be leaving shortly.
She has confirmed they have arrived safely in ATL this morning.
I hope this has helped if I find out anything more i'll keep you posted.
I just want to say on her behalf that Delta was very unprofessional in the dealings with their passengers even though i understand that it is an emergency and they were under stressful conditions but there was no communication or updates on what was going on.
I hope somebody got a good picture of the two DL 777s parked on ASI.
Landed
Rescue flight landed earlier this morining. Had clients on the flight - rumour has it they lost an engine and power on original aircraft hence the diversion.

Here is a link to a write up in SA news. http://www.news24.com/Travel/Flights...ilure-20130111
Dl 201/09 jan
Here is a link to a news article in South Africa on the flight.
Quote: She has confirmed they have arrived safely in ATL this morning.

I hope this has helped if I find out anything more i'll keep you posted.
I just want to say on her behalf that Delta was very unprofessional in the dealings with their passengers even though i understand that it is an emergency and they were under stressful conditions but there was no communication or updates on what was going on.
It's good to know she's stateside --- how did they handle things like meals, restrooms, showers, access to luggage and were the Brits equipped to handle the checked luggage?

Years ago, my parents were stranded in Cold Bay, Alaska for 24 hours and while there were steaks on the plane, they got to eat canned beef stew.

Bob H
Quote: Somewhere I read that ASI isn't even equipped for instrument landings, which sounds incredible. Let's remember too that that 777 landed on the tiny island in the middle of the night. I wonder whether there's a story about emergency vehicles using their headlights to light the runway. The entire island might have been awakened to prepare for the arrival....emergency medical (very limited hospital there), getting food for the passengers, etc. It would be almost scary to see such a big plane descending.

I bet some folks in ATL had a sleepless night too waiting for the emergency to be resolved, maybe at Boeing and GE Aircraft Engines too if they were consulted about the mechanical in flight....I hope we'll learn some of that story someday.
Didin't even think about that aspect of the divert. Good point. Since it seems the ship in question is back in Atlanta, must have been a quick fix.
Quote: Didin't even think about that aspect of the divert. Good point. Since it seems the ship in question is back in Atlanta, must have been a quick fix.
They sent a second 777 over to get the pax, original ship is still at ASI.
Quote: They sent a second 777 over to get the pax, original ship is still at ASI.
The article here: http://avherald.com/h?article=45bee9df&opt=0

Has a comment by a reader mentioning that his father was flying the out there to bring the old ship back (and presumably with a bunch of mechanics) and is planning to be there for a week.
Quote: saying a plane that had landed had clipped their wing while landing.
Is the plane still in ASI?

That could be a costly accident.
Quote: Is the plane still in ASI?

That could be a costly accident.
Better a clipped wing than a 777 on the bottom of the ocean. Also, once on the ground, perhaps maneuvering perfectly into a parking space wasn't a high priority--low oil pressure and an engine out would mean some risk of fire, even if small.