Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 9, 13, 9:25 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG
Posts: 724
Richard Anderson interview with Travel Weekly

In this Jan 9th article, he discusses Virgin Atlantic, geographic coverage, New York's expansion, and a couple other topics…...

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...hard-Anderson/
__________________
Getting there isn't half the fun - it's all the fun.
cmh flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 12:09 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LAX - san fernando valley, CA
Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
Posts: 1,150
Awwwwww he did not mention the desk.
__________________
KRYPTONIUM MEDALLION CHARTER MEMBER
***** Vote for Rin for best in show in 2012 *****
LADELTA777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 4:34 am   #3
mdb
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: DTW DL DM,TK Gold,SPG Gold,Hertz Pres Cirlcle GP Mich
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADELTA777 View Post
Awwwwww he did not mention the desk.
+1
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:30 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 10,731
C.E.W. just died a little more.
tkey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 7:54 am   #5
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MCI; MAN;
Programs: Delta DM
Posts: 5,986
I thought it was quite a good read - he did the poker face bit on South Pacific -but glad I read the article.
GRALISTAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:44 am   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL GM, BA Gold
Posts: 7,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR View Post
I thought it was quite a good read
Agreed. He is quite thoughtful I think.
pbarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:29 am   #7
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 198
i actually like the guy.
reef58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 10:12 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,072
Fairly informative even if he's a bit shy about getting into the Virgin details.

The comments on the MAC international concourse expansion at MSP could indicate more INTL traffic in MSP's future.

Though I would say his comments about MLT were a head scratcher. The move has been criticized as poorly thought out since most of the key management opted to take a package and leave. Then the claim that moving MLT to ATL for better Delta.com integration make me think he doesn't know what's going on. MLT's IT is staying in MSP. Frankly, I can't imagine any IT worker moving to ATL given unemployment levels down there.
motytrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 1:43 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia & MM, SPG Plat, Hyatt, AA, VX, :rolleyes: titanium, PWP!
Posts: 13,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post

Though I would say his comments about MLT were a head scratcher. The move has been criticized as poorly thought out since most of the key management opted to take a package and leave. Then the claim that moving MLT to ATL for better Delta.com integration make me think he doesn't know what's going on. MLT's IT is staying in MSP. Frankly, I can't imagine any IT worker moving to ATL given unemployment levels down there.
Just wait for Bob Kupbens to give his magic treatment to MLT...
__________________
The unofficial SkyMiles slogan: what have you done for us lately?
itsaboutthejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 2:12 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MSP/PVG/SFO
Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Posts: 14,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef58 View Post
i actually like the guy.
+1, way better than Doug Steenland was for NWA. Interesting investments at SLC and MSP (internationals).
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 2:27 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL GM, BA Gold
Posts: 7,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
The move has been criticized as poorly thought out since most of the key management opted to take a package and leave.
Criticized by whom? Departing employees and MSP civic leaders would seem to have their own agenda, no?
pbarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:15 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 107
I'll tell you-- I'm a big fan. The difference in DL between now and just 5 years ago is huge. The biggest difference is the employees; they're no longer anywhere near as surly.

And you have to hand it to the guy-- he bought a whole frickin' oil refinery. Only time will tell on that one, but he thinks big.

The other really brilliant thing I think Delta did was that Amex Platinum MQM transfer bonus a few years ago; I generally would spread my travel around, and fly the lowest cost carrier-- but getting FO status was like a taste of crack, and as my travel patterns have increased dramatically, it's been an easy choice to stay with DL. (Doesn't hurt that I'm out of NYC, where a T fare to SFO is under $300 rt-- or that I'm 6 for 6 on upgrades since hitting PM.)
wrytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 9:24 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: TPA
Programs: Delta Skymiles - FO
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrytoast View Post
but getting FO status was like a taste of crack,
This line....FTW
houserulz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 10:32 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, 1MM, Starwood PLT
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrytoast View Post
I'll tell you-- I'm a big fan. The difference in DL between now and just 5 years ago is huge. The biggest difference is the employees; they're no longer anywhere near as surly.

And you have to hand it to the guy-- he bought a whole frickin' oil refinery. Only time will tell on that one, but he thinks big.

The other really brilliant thing I think Delta did was that Amex Platinum MQM transfer bonus a few years ago; I generally would spread my travel around, and fly the lowest cost carrier-- but getting FO status was like a taste of crack, and as my travel patterns have increased dramatically, it's been an easy choice to stay with DL. (Doesn't hurt that I'm out of NYC, where a T fare to SFO is under $300 rt-- or that I'm 6 for 6 on upgrades since hitting PM.)
I agree that DL has greatly improved. Now if you call FO crack that is just funny. You must have been on a really bad carrier before if you think that get's you much.
grahampros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 13, 11:02 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 107
People knock FO all the time, but being able to sit in an exit row for free is a huge, huge benefit for someone tall. Also, before the credit card boarding nonsense, not having to stress about overhead compartment space was very nice as well. And priority security at busy (non-NYC) airports doesn't suck, either.
wrytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.