Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well finally got the itin to work. 35K each way, however the Africa-US had some painful taxes and fees (think YQ). Here's what I got:

EBB-KQ-NBO-KQ-LHR-DL-JFK-DL-IND

DFW-DL-ATL-AMS-KL-KGL-KL-EBB

I guess in today's day and age getting this for 35K OW isn't a bad deal. Even the DM agent called it a "steal". Would have preferred to have less segments but not a lot of options out of EBB to the US.

I guess I still just refuse to overpay for a ST itin, good thing partners are still at a standard level.
I refuse to overpay for a ST itinerary too... Glad you could find such a long itinerary for 35k miles. That's great!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I am flying Allitallia ticket , air from YYZ (delta) to JFK to FCO

Would it be best to enroll in Allitalia FFP or use my Delta Sky Miles

Would mileage accumulation be the same? flying business D return C
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by traacs
I am flying Allitallia ticket , air from YYZ (delta) to JFK to FCO

Would it be best to enroll in Allitalia FFP or use my Delta Sky Miles

Would mileage accumulation be the same? flying business D return C
This thread is for questions about booking tickets using Delta SkyMiles that have already been earned. It sounds like you already have a cash ticket and are asking which program you should credit the earnings to. The answer to that depends on things like what your current status is with Delta, what your future travel patterns look like, and also the distinction between miles that can be redeemed for award travel vs. the "miles" that count towards elite qualification and whether you care more about one than the other, or both.

This page on Delta's web site describes what you would earn if you credited the flight to DL:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../alitalia.html

You may also be interested in WhereToCredit:

http://www.wheretocredit.com/

and the consolidated "Which ST program should I sign up for?" thread in the generic SkyTeam forum
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Delhi to DFW one-way award travel in economy

Is delta.com the best way to look for availability?

Or should I go to partner airlines websites?

Anything that I gain by doing the search on phone meaning can the reps find something which is not already on delta.com?

In particular, trying to avoid Russia airlines which hit a $100+ surcharge on flights leaving from Moscow and entering USA...any way to work around this?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Is delta.com the best way to look for availability?

Or should I go to partner airlines websites?

Anything that I gain by doing the search on phone meaning can the reps find something which is not already on delta.com?

In particular, trying to avoid Russia airlines which hit a $100+ surcharge on flights leaving from Moscow and entering USA...any way to work around this?

Thanks in advance.
If you're looking for flights ex-EU to the US, this is Delta's doing: they charge "international origination fee" of several hundred dollars for award tickets out of Europe, regardless of the carrier. Avoiding Aeroflot won't eliminate this fee.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akcae
If you're looking for flights ex-EU to the US, this is Delta's doing: they charge "international origination fee" of several hundred dollars for award tickets out of Europe, regardless of the carrier. Avoiding Aeroflot won't eliminate this fee.
The international origin fee out of Russia is 93 EU for both Y and J awards which is not all that unreasonable and clearly not "several hundred dollars". Not nearly as bad as many other European countries (particularly the ones that also hit you with APD/"Solidarity" taxes). J awards from France have a airline surcharge of 178 EU and a solidarity tax of 45 EU. From the UK, you get hit with a 144.50 GBP airline charge and 150 GBP UK APD tax for J tickets.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Any reports on how easy/difficult it is to use Skymiles on AR (Aerolineas Argentinas) short haul flights w/in Argentina and South America? (Either cabin)
Old May 2, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any reports on how easy/difficult it is to use Skymiles on AR (Aerolineas Argentinas) short haul flights w/in Argentina and South America? (Either cabin)
Have you tried booking? AR award space shows up on DL.com just fine.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by akcae
Have you tried booking? AR award space shows up on DL.com just fine.
I just joined and have 0 points.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
With Delta elites now officially receiving upgrades on Aeromexico, does that apply to companions? I will be Delta gold while my companion (same ticket) has no status. Thank you !
Old May 12, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska
Smile Looks like Delta/AmEx came through for us

Well, I think I have good news. I am Platinum Medallion with the Platinum AmEx card and just booked a flight in August using a companion certificate for my wife, and was told that starting in Aug, flyers & companion cert flyers are now eligible for all the usual Medallion upgrades! As promised, we were both immediately upgraded to Comfort+, and I was even told that we'd be eligible for being upgraded to first class. Glad to see that Delta/AmEx realized how to bring back the appeal of these certificates/credit cards. I'm withholding final judgment until others have the same experience to make sure this wasn't an aberration.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by beatnavy77
Well, I think I have good news. I am Platinum Medallion with the Platinum AmEx card and just booked a flight in August using a companion certificate for my wife, and was told that starting in Aug, flyers & companion cert flyers are now eligible for all the usual Medallion upgrades! As promised, we were both immediately upgraded to Comfort+, and I was even told that we'd be eligible for being upgraded to first class. Glad to see that Delta/AmEx realized how to bring back the appeal of these certificates/credit cards. I'm withholding final judgment until others have the same experience to make sure this wasn't an aberration.
This was an announced change; it's for real.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Now AMEX/DL just has to eliminate the Y restriction for companion certs for PLAT Cards and this will be a real benefit.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
This was an announced change; it's for real.
Yup. Request for C+ cleared within a couple minutes for one segment of the cert trip I booked for this June. We'll take exit row on the return as all C+ aisle seats are already gone. UG to F request box is checked (but not holding my breath).
Old May 14, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Now AMEX/DL just has to eliminate the Y restriction for companion certs for PLAT Cards and this will be a real benefit.
Why would they do this? The FC cert on the Reserve is one of the main elements of how they market/justify the higher AF (the other two being SC access and more MQMs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.