Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
btw, it seems MU's business award availability on PVG-LAX/JFK is back, and availability is good. Great news, except that there's a fuel surcharge of about $150 each way.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Korean Air (KE) has really good availability when they are not in the blackout season. ATL - ICN - HKG all on KE would work pretty easily as it isn't impossible to get multiple seats. You'll have to call Delta for availability, but in my experience the call centers are getting a lot better at performing/knowing how to perform a long sell.

China Southern (CZ) is another potential, but will cost more as they have fuel surcharges (YQ) that are currently collected and nothing direct to HK. China Eastern (MU) also operates flights to HKG, but I don't think they have anything direct from ATL and would need a few connections inside the US and then route through PVG...not optimal, but you could make it work. If you want help I'm more than happy to keep discussing over PM.
I appreciate the info. I think when I end up taking the trip, I will definately look into that. Are the fee's usually high? Being from Atlanta also it would also be cool to get on that Airbus 380. Never been on a double decker before.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by edh101985
I appreciate the info. I think when I end up taking the trip, I will definately look into that. Are the fee's usually high? Being from Atlanta also it would also be cool to get on that Airbus 380. Never been on a double decker before.
DL recently stopped collecting KE (and VA) award fuel surcharge. It may be a glitch, and it may be back. So, if you intend to fly KE I'd suggest that you book soon.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Thank You very much blug, this will be a huge help to many! ^
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Thank You very much blug, this will be a huge help to many! ^

I second that. Easy to read pictures and simple instructions. Well done!^
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:10 pm

Why wait? You need to plan ahead as waiting will only cause you to waste more time on the phone lines with delta!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txrandom
Are questions about Delta RTW Awards fine? If so, can you book Delta partners like MH?
Did you check out the RTW thread in the links section?

Hello,

I have a question. I am fairly new to all of this, and have not used any of my miles except for delta. I plan on taking a trip to Hong Kong next year. What would be my best way of going from Atlanta for 2 economy tickets at 70k each?
DL metal is possible but very hard. I'd focus on KE, CE, CI, and CZ. If you do that, you may need some DL metal to get you to JFK or LAX.

I rewrote that several times and it still comes out harsh...haha.

It's just frustrating to see a lot of the hard work that mnredfox put to use wasn't being used. He's done an excellent job at condensing information in one location. I will applaud the fact of asking a question in this thread instead of starting a new post
I think this brings up a good point here. I do think we all need to be friendly to newbie's, but also need to kindly remind them to read the basics (FAQ's, linked threads, doing searches etc), and go from there. That's half the battle of learning.

And I do agree, I've learned for lots of FAQ/sticky threads and that's what they are there for.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:17 am

Why wait? You need to plan ahead as waiting will only cause you to waste more time on the phone lines with delta!

If I could book it now, I would. I am still short a few miles, and I am waiting to get the rest. Also the person who is going with me is in the Air Force, and he needs to figure out what his schedule is looking like, and he wont know for another month.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I think this thread's initial posts have been built up to the point now where we should be thinking about the right plan going forward. I like the idea of having an info thread that's kept up to date and where the posts that are put into it are basically providing updates that are used to revise the original posts or to ask clarifications (such as if a policy is still in effect). That thread could prominently link to a "clinic" thread where posters can ask for help and advice. That way we're not asking newbs to read a massive thread in its entirety before they start asking questions. We can refer them to the info thread and ask them to read the first four (or whatever) posts because all the important information is in them.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think this thread's initial posts have been built up to the point now where we should be thinking about the right plan going forward. I like the idea of having an info thread that's kept up to date and where the posts that are put into it are basically providing updates that are used to revise the original posts or to ask clarifications (such as if a policy is still in effect). That thread could prominently link to a "clinic" thread where posters can ask for help and advice. That way we're not asking newbs to read a massive thread in its entirety before they start asking questions. We can refer them to the info thread and ask them to read the first four (or whatever) posts because all the important information is in them.
Agreed. Just got your PM, will respond.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Updated from PM feedback.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:45 pm

Skymiles and Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm new to frequent flyer points. Just a basic question: Can Delta Skymiles be only used for super saver awards on Alaska Airlines? Alaska Air is showing 27.5k miles for a one way trip from Orlando to Honolulu and I'd like to use my Skymiles.
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by coachsandy
I'm new to frequent flyer points. Just a basic question: Can Delta Skymiles be only used for super saver awards on Alaska Airlines? Alaska Air is showing 27.5k miles for a one way trip from Orlando to Honolulu and I'd like to use my Skymiles.
Thanks for your help!
Welcome to FT!

Yes, you need super saver inventory on AS to redeem SkyMiles for the flight.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:51 pm

Thanks mtkeller.
Does the super saver award travel apply to ALL Delta Skyteam partners?
If I look to fly on Hawaiian Airlines, would it need to be at the super saver award level?
Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by coachsandy
Thanks mtkeller.
Does the super saver award travel apply to ALL Delta Skyteam partners?
If I look to fly on Hawaiian Airlines, would it need to be at the super saver award level?
Thanks!
Yes.

However, Dullta will charge you at mid level for HA flights.

HA inter-island flights (HNL-CTS/HND/KIX/FUK/ICN, and HNL-US48, you can't redeem DL miles but - but you can AA miles):
* must be available on hawaiianair.com at low, then they may (not guaranteed will) be available to DL
* DL will price at mid-mileage, including if you add an HA inter-island flight to any trip to or from here that is at low, adding the HA inter-island flight will reprice your whole itineary at mid
** DL does have, once in a blue moon (quite literaly, may be one flight once every 6+ months) an HA inter-island flight at low level, but that is rare, once every few months one flight, and always 11pm or 5am one then at best; so generally if HA is available at low, then on DL you can (may be) get it at mid, that is the rule

P.S. AA miles are much more valuable for HA flights than DL miles...but that's the case all around then, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.