Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Cargo Pet Debacle - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:10 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BobH
Did anyone suggesting taking a cab over to Delta cargo from wherever the bus dropped you off? Shouldn't have been that expensive or time consuming.

Bob H
They suggested that there was a shuttle bus of some sort. I told them that I simply wasn't doing that. How many hours would I hafto allow for that? 2? I had a very late night planned in The City, and I believe my flight was around 11AMish. I don't think I should have had to change my plans, or pay for a taxi when I wasn't going to get what I was promised!

As I think back on it, I had to be at the main post office when they opened (I think at 7AM) to mail some things home that I bought in NYC, and I think I took a train to the airport around 8:30, so I really couldn't have left any earlier.

Last edited by davetravels; Jan 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rwoman
Was it not possible for the cat to travel with someone in the cabin?!
Seriously? You want me to fly the cat to Rochester in cabin (not possible anyway as she's too vocal to subject passengers to that much protest for 6 hours), turn around and fly back to Phoenix, and then drive the car cross-country when for the same price I can just ship the cat to my sister via Cargo?

Really?

FWIW, the cat has outlived all of my healthy relationships, which makes her special in a twisted sort of way.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Seriously? You want me to fly the cat to Rochester in cabin (not possible anyway as she's too vocal to subject passengers to that much protest for 6 hours), turn around and fly back to Phoenix, and then drive the car cross-country when for the same price I can just ship the cat to my sister via Cargo?

Really?

FWIW, the cat has outlived all of my healthy relationships, which makes her special in a twisted sort of way.
Wow, it was a genuine question...I was not attacking you over trying to get your pet transported across the country...just asking if it was a possibility, which it clearly was not.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
...and then drive the car cross-country when for the same price I can just ship the cat to my sister via Cargo?
Not meaning to attack but I imagine there was a good reason why the cat couldn't ride in the car with you?

I moved cross country this summer with my German Shepherd and shipping him as cargo didn't even cross my mind when I knew I was going to be driving anyway. He made a great road trip companion!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TTT
Not meaning to attack but I imagine there was a good reason why the cat couldn't ride in the car with you?

I moved cross country this summer with my German Shepherd and shipping him as cargo didn't even cross my mind when I knew I was going to be driving anyway. He made a great road trip companion!
I've moved only from one time zone to the next (Chicago to NC) and almost went insane with my cat in the car. Yowled through 16 hours in a car. Some pets are NOT good at traveling.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM

Really?

People do mileage runs for less..... I don't see why that's so bizarre? Especially if you care so much about this pet - with all the horror stories that go on about them. You also probably could've paid a friend or someone's college-aged kid a few hundred bucks to do it for you (or anyone in the mileage run forum!)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The agents at the ticket counter do not handle cargo, and not accepting it was their only option to comply with the regs which are intended to keep the pet safe.

They should have told you the cargo hours, especially since you booked a redeye...seems reasonable. That is really where they dropped the ball.

I don't think pets can go DASH any longer. In fact, I think DASH is only accepted at cargo anyway these days...?

The only way my pet (dog) is going in a cargo hold is if there is no other way, i.e. moving overseas.

That cat would have been in the car with me. Then again I would never have a cat, so what do I know? (sorry I had to)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitkat77
I've moved only from one time zone to the next (Chicago to NC) and almost went insane with my cat in the car. Yowled through 16 hours in a car. Some pets are NOT good at traveling.
Fair enough. And I guess dogs may be better car animals than cats (assuming, never had a cat).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by TTT
Fair enough. And I guess dogs may be better car animals than cats (assuming, never had a cat).
I spent 4 not-fun days in a car with a yowling cat (RIP), but I probably would have been sick with worry if I'd sent him as cargo.

It seems to me that the problem here is that DL Cargo and regular DL are completely separate operations and there was just no way for the desk staff to deal with the problem of the OP. I don't think I would blame them for not knowing what to do. DL Cargo, on the other hand, really dropped the ball.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
Welcome to WNY and our >2 feet of snow and single digit temperatures (last night was a rare occurrence, allegedly).

I can't help with the rest of the post, but as a Rochesterian I wanted to say greetings and welcome.
+1 As someone who flies out of ROC quite a bit welcome to our corner of the world... ROC is a pretty decent airport to fly in/out of....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Continuing to play "Blame the OP". No one has the right to question why Jeff chose to ship his cat as cargo, altho other cat owners have at least provided some support. He is not asking for help in choosing a way to get his cat from point A to point B. We don't need to know why he made the decision. He is only asking for advice as to how to deal with the problem that occurred during the process. Cut him some slack.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Continuing to play "Blame the OP". No one has the right to question why Jeff chose to ship his cat as cargo, altho other cat owners have at least provided some support. He is not asking for help in choosing a way to get his cat from point A to point B. We don't need to know why he made the decision. He is only asking for advice as to how to deal with the problem that occurred during the process. Cut him some slack.
+1 ^
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP got the answer they were looking for - write to Richard Anderson. Since this thread will exist for eternity it may be helpful to flush out other transport options for those searching in the future.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by TTT
You sir are definitely a dog person. Telling a cat to shut up, eliminate, or drink/eat is simply not working.

Double ^^

By the way, it is almost impossible to take a CAT (NOT a lap dog) in the cabin. I have been refused several times due to "passengers with severe allergies". I am always amazed of people that reserve the right to comment on aspects on which they obviously have no clue about.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
Telling a cat to shut up, eliminate, or drink/eat is simply not working.
There are pills for shutting up pets and relieving anxiety, unless allergies to meds are involved as well. Remember the "baby Benadryl" incident?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.