FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2012 Purchase MQMs is back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1411077-2012-purchase-mqms-back.html)

DCAproducer Nov 6, 2012 8:23 am

Will Delta Sell MQM's Again?

Remember last year's MQM sale just before the holidays?
Anyone heard any rumblings if they will do it again?

While I still have several trips in my cue for the rest of the year, I'm may run about 2000 short of PM. I'd rather just spend a couple hundred on MQM's rather than MR.

I checked my e-mail history and DL's MQM purchase promotion came out Dec 1 last year and expired on Dec 15.

FlyDeltaJets87 Nov 6, 2012 8:31 am

I'm hoping they do. I did an MR to make Gold this year and will clear Gold by about 1,000 MQMs this year once everything posts, but I may still buy a few MQMs to help wih rollover and ensure I at least maintain Silver for 2014 since my travel schedule is looking lighter in 2013 than it is for 2012.

tubesoxs Nov 6, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 19634024)
I'm hoping they do. I did an MR to make Gold this year and will clear Gold by about 1,000 MQMs this year once everything posts, but I may still buy a few MQMs to help wih rollover and ensure I at least maintain Silver for 2014 since my travel schedule is looking lighter in 2013 than it is for 2012.

Can you roll over purchased MQM's? I though that wasn't allowed.

FlyDeltaJets87 Nov 6, 2012 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tubesoxs (Post 19634171)
Can you roll over purchased MQM's? I though that wasn't allowed.

I don't know - I guess that's a good point and one I'll have to check for in the details before I purchase any. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I mean, if someone needed 1,001 MQMs to qualify and bought 2,000 miles, I would hope DL wouldn't make them waste the money for 1 MQM and lose on 999 MQMs. But this would be my first year purchasing MQMs (if I do decide to do so), so I have no idea whether you can roll them over or not.

Selendia Nov 6, 2012 9:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 19634024)

Why would you buy MQM to get silver? Doesn't seem worth it to me. No sky priority, unlikely upgrades. Only advantage might be free bags. I would just get the DL Amex credit card instead for the free bags. Gold or Platinum (or Diamond) would be worth it though.

fti Nov 6, 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Selendia (Post 19634282)
Why would you buy MQM to get silver? Doesn't seem worth it to me. No sky priority, unlikely upgrades. Only advantage might be free bags. I would just get the DL Amex credit card instead for the free bags. Gold or Platinum (or Diamond) would be worth it though.

I agree, or try to find someone on CC to trade you their gift FO status for something. The only real benefit of FO vs. DL AmEx is being able to book preferred seats. But even then you can buy them on a flight-by-flight basis probably cheaper than FO status.

FlyDeltaJets87 Nov 6, 2012 9:25 am

The people who say it isn't worth it must have forgotten what it's like to have no status. And I've done pretty well even as a lowly Silver. I get upgraded maybe 25-30% of the time. I realize I don't usually fly routes like ATL-LAX or to other heavy-elite markets but I still do alright. Silver also gets me access to priority seating, most importantly, the exit row. At 6'4, being able to select the exit row at booking is a HUGE perk. Free access to EC at check-in. And better priority in an IROP situation, for which I found the value of when flying home just a couple days before Christmas last year. And by having both Silver and the Delta AmEx, I can get two free bags instead of just one. The DL AmEx gets you one free bag and Silver gets you one free bag, for a total of two free bags, and since I often travel with golf clubs in addition to a suitcase, that's $50 saved each trip. So yes, I would pay for MQMs to make Silver. Even if they're nowhere near the benefits that GMs, PMs, and DMs get, the benefits are there for us.

CarmenOM Nov 6, 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer (Post 19633971)
Remember last year's MQM sale just before the holidays?
Anyone heard any rumblings if they will do it again?

While I still have several trips in my cue for the rest of the year, I'm may run about 2000 short of PM. I'd rather just spend a couple hundred on MQM's rather than MR.

I checked my e-mail history and DL's MQM purchase promotion came out Dec 1 last year and expired on Dec 15.

cue/kyo͞o/
Noun:
A thing said or done that serves as a signal to an actor or other performer to enter or to begin their speech or performance.
A long, straight, tapering wooden rod for striking the ball in pool, billiards, snooker, etc.

queue [kyoo]
Noun:
a file or line, especially of people waiting their turn.

;)

puddinhead Nov 6, 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 19634241)
I don't know - I guess that's a good point and one I'll have to check for in the details before I purchase any. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I mean, if someone needed 1,001 MQMs to qualify and bought 2,000 miles, I would hope DL wouldn't make them waste the money for 1 MQM and lose on 999 MQMs. But this would be my first year purchasing MQMs (if I do decide to do so), so I have no idea whether you can roll them over or not.

Last year's AMEX promo's MQMs rolled over.

Frogbone Nov 6, 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 19634381)
I agree, or try to find someone on CC to trade you their gift FO status for something. The only real benefit of FO vs. DL AmEx is being able to book preferred seats. But even then you can buy them on a flight-by-flight basis probably cheaper than FO status.

How does this work? I am not familiar with "CC".

dll Nov 6, 2012 9:57 am

I hope they make it an option - I too am a couple thousand miles short and although I do have some travel planned in the next month or so (which I haven't booked) I was hoping to book a different carrier's nonstop flights instead of a lengthy layover in ATL. If I have to go DL for the MQMs I will do it!

NYCflip Nov 6, 2012 10:06 am

Worth is dependent on each person and their flying patterns. Yes, you can get some of the benefits from an Amex DL card, but as mentioned above (in addition to having a dedicated phone line that is slightly better than kettles), there are some intangibles that the card won't get you, even as a "lowly" FO. I was an FO not too long ago and 8/12 upgrades was more than worth it, twice with non-status companions! Also, some airports do allow FOs priority check in, etc.

FlyDeltaJets87 Nov 6, 2012 10:24 am

Will purchased MQMs count towards rollover or do you lose the ones you don't need for status?

fti Nov 6, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Frogbone (Post 19634498)
How does this work? I am not familiar with "CC".

CC = Coupon Connection. Once you are on Flyer Talk for something like 90 days and have at least 90 useful posts (not "+1" type posts) you have access to CC. You can "trade" various travel-related items, including status gifts that many PM's and DM's get. Usually a much better value than buying MQM's, depending on how many you need to buy.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 19634765)
Will purchased MQMs count towards rollover or do you lose the ones you don't need for status?

There is no differentiation between various "types" of MQM's. So if MQM's continue to roll over, ones purchased or earned by flying or earned from AmEx will have the same characteristics.

I don't disagree with you that FO has more benefits than just having a DL AmEx card, but I think trading for status is probably a better value for most people than buying MQM's to attain it. But you wouldn't be able to do that until at least next month or January.

MSPeconomist Nov 6, 2012 11:30 am

I tried to click back to see the two posts and my computer seems not to like him at all. It put my browser into some sort of a loop.