Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LBJ
I should have said the program that starts Dec 1.
And what program is that?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
My Christmas gift would be if DL stopped giving MQM's via car rentals, CC's (yeah I know this one isn't going away), hotel stays, promos, and selling outright. Make elite something earned by flying.
+1 greatest gift ever. Make them all RDM Skypesos.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: NW WP
One of the main reasons there are cheap seats out there for mileage runs is precisely because DL does NOT believe they will sell the seats. Selling 25,000 MQM's for $1000 (or less), which is effectively what you are advocating, is a surefire way for out-of-control Medallion inflation.
First, I am not sure the cheap seats are based on a belief they will not sell. They are available only early, and so they sell first. If Delta made those cheap seats available at the end just before takeoff, your point would make more sense.

Second, my point was about the smart thing for Delta. Anytime you can get money for nothing, it's smart. And still have the product left to sell. So if you can get $250 for a seat from a guy who doesn't intend to fly, and $250 for the same seat from someone who does fly, that one seat has doubled your income. I don't know any business that wouldn't take that.

Imagine McDonald's running a BOGO Big Mac special. And you just give them the money and not take the Big Mac. Then they sell that Big Mac to someone else. Now they got the money for two sales, but only had to make one product. So their profit margin has more than doubled.

As for inflated Medallion ranks, Delta doesn't care about that. So the smart thing for Delta doesn't take that into account. The only downside for Delta is judging oversells.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, Omni, Marriott
Anybody heard any update or further rumblings on this? My November was lighter on travel and short of about 3k of mileage runs, i'm going to fall short of plat this year...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by theskunk
Anybody heard any update or further rumblings on this? My November was lighter on travel and short of about 3k of mileage runs, i'm going to fall short of plat this year...
I hope they sell, I am gonna miss out on Plat by about 3 segments or so! #DamnSandy
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by cfischer
+1 greatest gift ever. Make them all RDM Skypesos.
You have EQUAL opportunity to increase MQM's along with everyone else, it's not like you can't take advantage of the same promotions and with rollovers no matter how many you earn you wouldn't lose them.

Stop being a hater. You aren't a better person because you sat in a seat for hours.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Silver, Ritz-Carlton Rewards. National Car Executive
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
You have EQUAL opportunity to increase MQM's along with everyone else, it's not like you can't take advantage of the same promotions and with rollovers no matter how many you earn you wouldn't lose them.

Stop being a hater. You aren't a better person because you sat in a seat for hours.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how the MQMs are earned if the same status/benefits are acheived. It's not like you can look at a stranger with a Diamond tag at the airport and say "He earned ALL his miles BIS! He's too cool!"
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by ATLdoc
At the end of the day it doesn't matter how the MQMs are earned if the same status/benefits are acheived. It's not like you can look at a stranger with a Diamond tag at the airport and say "He earned ALL his miles BIS! He's too cool!"
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Azzuristar
I hope they sell, I am gonna miss out on Plat by about 3 segments or so! #DamnSandy
I assume you needed the 1500 miles/MQM from three segments...since segments do not roll over.

At least you still have time to see if you can work in a MR if needed.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
I assume you needed the 1500 miles/MQM from three segments...since segments do not roll over.

At least you still have time to see if you can work in a MR if needed.
I had everything laid out, but the missus needs to get to India and AI is the only option there. (being affordable non stop et all)

Which means no more MR's and no more jets for me the whole of December.

I will end up 3 possibly 4 segments short.

Also can someone for the love of God, plz point me to where I can vote? I want one of those logos as well!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I had everything laid out, but the missus needs to get to India and AI is the only option there. (being affordable non stop et all)

Which means no more MR's and no more jets for me the whole of December.

I will end up 3 possibly 4 segments short.

Also can someone for the love of God, plz point me to where I can vote? I want one of those logos as well!
You can find info on Talk Board candidates and voting here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-open-551.html

Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by reef58
FO is worth more than a Amex card. EC seats, I am running about 50 percent on upgrades. I get to select preferred seating. When I get upgraded I get sky priority boarding? The biggest benefit is rollover, which you do not get with Amex.

Also if you get a reroute you get booked in Y class fare, and head to the top of the upgrade list. I was number 1 of 20 or so from SLC to ORD and 2 of 60 or so ORD to ATL.

Please stop with the FO is worthless. The jump from nothing to FO is much bigger than FO to GM.
I <3 companion UG!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Here is the URL

http://www.flyertalk.com/talkthevote/

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Nov 14, 2012 at 8:53 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by bustrav8yrs
you have equal opportunity to increase mqm's along with everyone else, it's not like you can't take advantage of the same promotions and with rollovers no matter how many you earn you wouldn't lose them.

this x 10000

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
If Delta sells 5,000 MQMs for $495 and an itinerary where you will earn 5,000 MQMs for $250, DL is already coming out AT LEAST $245 ahead if you buy the MQMs instead of taking the MR for $250 r/t (esp. if that $250 includes taxes and airport fees, which DL doesn't get to keep). Your butt being in a seat still takes up more fuel than if the plane was empty. DL still provides you service on the plane (I was upgraded to F so I received a meal and booze and such), even if minimal, so was the price of my ticket. I then used four different SkyClubs during my mileage run, and the snacks and amenities I used will come out of DL's pocket for that. It doesn't take a lot before you realize what DL spent to transport my butt was more than the $250 I gave them, and that's why I think DL is very smart to offer these MQM options over MRs.
booze costs <$1 per mini. the money they may have lost is just the marginal income if they sold another seat.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
And on top of that, DL may have sold that seat to someone for a higher fare. Those of us doing MRs are looking for the lowest fare possible. We often don't care where we go, as long as it's cheap so we can maximize MQMs per dollar spent. DL's profit margin on a $250 transcon flight where 5,000 MQMs are earned? Probably negligible at best, more likely a loss overall. DL's profit margin for selling you those 5,000 MQMs at $495: basically 100%. From DL's perspective it makes perfect sense to offer this.
someone on another page explained the rationale behind this as they don't care who buys the cheap seat, but without the cheap seats bought, the expensive seats cannot be sold, so it's like musical chairs, gotta fill the cheapies before raking in the cash.

on an extreme level, you wonder if all the airlines colluded to block 75% of their seat maps, well...... you can imagine how much the price would be... wait does that happen already... oligopoly behavior?

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

Line copied!

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.