Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Purchase MQMs is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I went ahead about bought MQMs, since I really wanted to avoid a mileage run in this busy period.

For those of you interested, the MQMs have already shown up in my activity listing on my profile, but the total MQMs have not been refreshed to show the additional 10k.

Feel free to criticize my decision. But just know:

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Wow, all prices have gone up $100 since last year. And UG's are even harder to get. IDK why DL thinks I would pay EVEN MORE. This is a ridiculous promotion I hope everyone avoids. Just find a quick MR if you're really concerned about getting status for next year.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Wow, all prices have gone up $100 since last year. And UG's are even harder to get. IDK why DL thinks I would pay EVEN MORE. This is a ridiculous promotion I hope everyone avoids. Just find a quick MR if you're really concerned about getting status for next year.
What will get people to buy in to this promotion is the time spent in the air and away from home doing the MR. Last I checked airfare JFK-LAX was about $350 and that nets ~5000 miles. Delta is selling 5000 MQM's for $595. The question people will debate is "Is 10 hours in the air worth saving $245?"
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
What will get people to buy in to this promotion is the time spent in the air and away from home doing the MR. Last I checked airfare JFK-LAX was about $350 and that nets ~5000 miles. Delta is selling 5000 MQM's for $595. The question people will debate is "Is 10 hours in the air worth saving $245?"
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Taxes

Last year my sister bought 10,000 MQM's and was charged a tax on the miles in addition to the "sales price". She bought them again last night and said the charge is no longer being charged.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
The question people will debate is "Is 10 hours in the air worth saving $245?"
This is dependent on the person and for me, the answer is yes.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
I went ahead about bought MQMs, since I really wanted to avoid a mileage run in this busy period.

For those of you interested, the MQMs have already shown up in my activity listing on my profile, but the total MQMs have not been refreshed to show the additional 10k.
In some cases, what you did makes perfect sense. For example, if you were, say, 10K short of Plat, buying 10K gives you a status boost and a CB, which could be a $200 voucher. Now it doesn't look so expensive, in fact less that I have been paying to fly 10K.

This is definitely a YMMV thing so if it works for you, go for it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
In some cases, what you did makes perfect sense. For example, if you were, say, 10K short of Plat, buying 10K gives you a status boost and a CB, which could be a $200 voucher. Now it doesn't look so expensive, in fact less that I have been paying to fly 10K.

This is definitely a YMMV thing so if it works for you, go for it.
And if it gets you from PM to Diamond and you are a skyclub member, the free skyclub membership saves you $300 a year, plus the additional choice gift is worth $200 so that brings the cost down to $495. When you factor in what you pay for gas and parking for a mileage run.... Or factor in the additional upgrades you will get by advancing a tier, it pays sometimes.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Does DL only do this at the end of the year?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
historically, yes.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm with others. I'm based in LA....LAX-JFK or $595. The truth is, I would not just go to JFK and turn around. I would take a taxi into the city--$52.00, plus go out to eat, see friends, etc. Even if I stay with friends and don't pay for a hotel, it would not be long before I spent over $595. . . I suppose one could just go to JFK and turn right back around, but that would really suck.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm with others. I'm based in LA....LAX-JFK or $595. The truth is, I would not just go to JFK and turn around. I would take a taxi into the city--$52.00, plus go out to eat, see friends, etc. Even if I stay with friends and don't pay for a hotel, it would not be long before I spent over $595. . . I suppose one could just go to JFK and turn right back around, but that would really suck.
Heck, there are times I find LHR-JFK for the high $500s or low $600s.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
I don't need them, but if I did, the cost is so high I wouldn't do it. At least $.10 per MQM, higher if you buy less than 10K. If I did need them, I would search for a MR that made sense, to someplace I'd want to go.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Everyone is different. For me personally this year, I have no vacation days left apart from what is booked and no more spare weekends. For many this must be the case too. They want status (and as I am PM I fully understand that). Thus a purchase of MQMs would make great sense and we all know DL gains from this too.

I have considered it as it would take me to Diamond but in other threads I have posted my strategy that I prefer PM-PM rather than Diamond/Gold or God forbid Diamond/FO.

In other times, an MR or travelling for the sake of travelling and getting MQMs is a huge amount of fun.

Each person makes there choice. I can not fault DL for their business decision.

MRs are more fun - to repeat myself.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes I noticed that, way low - looks like money/revenue based Medallion program is out of the window. Time to resurrect "The Rumour" thread.
Yes I am sure the "mind readers" can come up with another 100 pages of useless posts of of this.

That thread needs to die along with all the other "I know what's going to happen" posturing on here LOL! If the posters were really that great at "knowing" wouldn't they have spent their time on something more profitable then "speculation" on sky miles. (Heck if they applied half that much energy to reading the stock market they could probably all be in the Mitt Romney tax bracket and just fly private jets)

If i needed some miles I would buy them. I am going to come right in at Diamond (with about 500 rollover LOL!) But my time around the end of the year is worth something. I can just see me telling my family "I have to go fly around the country just to earn miles over the holidays" That's a hit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.