FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   $$$ based SM a total Croc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1409077-based-sm-total-croc.html)

dean1121 Nov 19, 2012 9:13 pm

$$$ based SM a total Croc.

After the outrageous uproar that a $$$ based SM program might be in the works almost caused the DL FT board to melt earlier this year caused me to have some hope in the program. Remember those thousands of posts, some people posting 100's of times.

Well here we are with all the rumored deadlines passed and and still no significant changes to the program in this regard.

Who ever started this rumor and had "reliable sources" telling them all kinds of changes were coming should be banned from this forum. I call total BS on the whole thing.

If you have another opinion fire away but please refrain from telling us you know someone who knows someone that told your uncle a spend based program is in the works. It is total crap.

I will be the first to eat my words if I'm wrong. Obviously I am in the minority a change would put the "elite" back in SM because right now it is a diluted mess. Rollover alone tells me DL is not serious about looking after its loyal and significant spending members.

And no, I'm not complaining about lack of upgrades in the post. I get my fare share, love FCM but AA get most of my Intl now and that's a bummer because DL should be getting an extra 25K and another 100k from staff who's travel in influence.

Party on :)

jiburi Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm

It's ironic none of us predicted the DL.com change beforehand but we seemed to know nothing (or maybe everything) about the 2013 skymiles changes....

Nevertheless, it was a worthwhile way to send a message to Delta managements.

Jiburi

Bowgie Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I mostly agree except that I would not express the sentiment in nearly as strong terms as the OP. It is unfortunate to read posts that more or less say, "I'm burning xxx,000 of my Skymiles for "high" awards before Delta takes even that away." However, everyone here is an adult and has the right to make foolish decisions with their Skymiles.

There are at least three possibilities with no immediate impact to existing "low dollar" elites (whatever that is):

1. Delta needs more time to develop a dollar based program.
2. Delta will grandfather current and rollover MQM balances.
3. The "new" level will be an add-on; like United GS, leaving existing status level benefits untouched.

I also don't get the "diluted" rant. As a Diamond, nobody is beating me out for upgrades. If I sit in the back on a domestic flight, it is because there's only one or two seats left unpurchased. There is no flock of T-fare diamonds competing for upgrade space.

james318 Nov 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dean1121 (Post 19714898)
After the outrageous uproar that a $$$ based SM program might be in the works almost caused the DL FT board to melt earlier this year caused me to have some hope in the program. Remember those thousands of posts, some people posting 100's of times.

Well here we are with all the rumored deadlines passed and and still no significant changes to the program in this regard.

If we know Delta, they'll tell us the first week of March, 2013. Two months into the program year. I remember being chastiszed by a poster last year for being upset about that.

exwannabe Nov 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I would be certain that DL is always evaluating this type concept, it would be irresponsible not to. What that means though, we would never know until announced.

But the thread in question centered around a leaked email that was obviously bogus. It was clearly not written by any exec or staff, it was grammer school level. I am stunned that so many on this board took it as legit.

Vuelos Nov 19, 2012 10:02 pm

In before the lock.

MSPeconomist Nov 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 19714979)
I mostly agree except that I would not express the sentiment in nearly as strong terms as the OP. It is unfortunate to read posts that more or less say, "I'm burning xxx,000 of my Skymiles for "high" awards before Delta takes even that away." However, everyone here is an adult and has the right to make foolish decisions with their Skymiles.

There are at least three possibilities with no immediate impact to existing "low dollar" elites (whatever that is):

1. Delta needs more time to develop a dollar based program.
2. Delta will grandfather current and rollover MQM balances.
3. The "new" level will be an add-on; like United GS, leaving existing status level benefits untouched.

I also don't get the "diluted" rant. As a Diamond, nobody is beating me out for upgrades. If I sit in the back on a domestic flight, it is because there's only one or two seats left unpurchased. There is no flock of T-fare diamonds competing for upgrade space.

3. A new higher level would not leave current DM status benefits untouched as elites who qualify for the new level will have priority over those who merely requalify as DM. The exception would be if DL makes the new level like AA's CK and assigns special pampering but no priority for anything in competition with ordinary DMs.

OTOH, even introducing a new level this way can cause a deterioration in service as the best DM phone agents move over to the new status program's dedicated line. It happened that way with AmEx PTS (to CTS) agents and SPG Plat Concierge (to Ambassador).

javabytes Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Who ever started this rumor and had "reliable sources" telling them all kinds of changes were coming should be banned from this forum. I call total BS on the whole thing.

If you have another opinion fire away but please refrain from telling us you know someone who knows someone that told your uncle a spend based program is in the works. It is total crap.

I will be the first to eat my words if I'm wrong. Obviously I am in the minority a change would put the "elite" back in SM because right now it is a diluted mess. Rollover alone tells me DL is not serious about looking after its loyal and significant spending members.

And no, I'm not complaining about lack of upgrades in the post. I get my fare share, love FCM but AA get most of my Intl now and that's a bummer because DL should be getting an extra 25K and another 100k from staff who's travel in influence.

Party on if you wish. I'm in more of a "calm before the storm" mindset.

[pure speculation]

My prediction is that we will see at least two if not three of the US legacy carriers switch over to a revenue-based system next year. My bet is that DL will switch. The other will be UA or US, and I'm leaning towards UA. My guess is that AA will not, being preoccupied with other matters.

If such a program comes to fruition, those carrying large balances will be badly burned no matter what the plan is for existing miles. You can be all but assured a conversion rate won't be favorable. And grandfathered miles haven't exactly had a stellar history.

[/pure speculation]

I've burned nearly three quarters of a million miles this year - and have done so at exclusively Low levels (with no small amount of work). My balance hit 4 digits this month.

At this point I view carrying large balances with airlines as the high risk option, and view it as much safer to bank points with programs that allow you to convert into miles if you wish - such as AmEx MR instead of DL. If DL makes no changes, then you're golden - just transfer the miles when you need them and party on like before. If DL hits the big red button to destroy the world, then at least you've got other places to go.

StayingHomeIsBetter Nov 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Does anyone find it interesting that the OP felt the need to start a new thread to create an opportunity to flame the "guilty party" for starting the previous thread on what has become (for now) a dormant issue?

Perhaps it's time to bump that thread about creating a more civil atmosphere here.

IBTL

Vuelos Nov 20, 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 19715156)
Perhaps it's time to bump that thread about creating a more civil atmosphere here.

Either that or the OP is positioning themselves to get a colossal ".... You, told you so" message if the rumors of a spend based program come true.@:-)@:-)

Much like Lucky987Coins will eventually post once UA gets their technology act together.

dean1121 Nov 20, 2012 4:50 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 19715155)
Party on if you wish. I'm in more of a "calm before the storm" mindset.

[pure speculation]

My prediction is that we will see at least two if not three of the US legacy carriers switch over to a revenue-based system next year. My bet is that DL will switch. The other will be UA or US, and I'm leaning towards UA. My guess is that AA will not, being preoccupied with other matters.

If such a program comes to fruition, those carrying large balances will be badly burned no matter what the plan is for existing miles. You can be all but assured a conversion rate won't be favorable. And grandfathered miles haven't exactly had a stellar history.

[/pure speculation]

I've burned nearly three quarters of a million miles this year - and have done so at exclusively Low levels (with no small amount of work). My balance hit 4 digits this month.

At this point I view carrying large balances with airlines as the high risk option, and view it as much safer to bank points with programs that allow you to convert into miles if you wish - such as AmEx MR instead of DL. If DL makes no changes, then you're golden - just transfer the miles when you need them and party on like before. If DL hits the big red button to destroy the world, then at least you've got other places to go.

I'm pretty calm and not really concerned re dilution of SMiles.

The point I was making is that fake and bogus posts caused many people like you to burn miles. Like lemmings everyone jump on in a frenzy not often seen before.

The big 4 might bight the bullet next year but what ever happens we won't know the real facts from seeing it here before they announce it. FT is great at relaying people's experiences, predicting the future, not so good.

dean1121 Nov 20, 2012 4:53 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 19715156)
Does anyone find it interesting that the OP felt the need to start a new thread to create an opportunity to flame the "guilty party" for starting the previous thread on what has become (for now) a dormant issue?

IBTL

I am being totally civil, guess I live in an environment where accountability matters and BSers don't get much respect.

DiverDave Nov 20, 2012 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 19714979)

I can't even remember seeing any post where somebody was burning Skypesos at high levels just to burn them.

If you have the opportunity to burn miles on low level awards, that's always a good strategy. If it's a high fare route, medium might make sense as well. Miles aren't dollars in the bank. They aren't earning interest, and every now and then they get devalued. (OK on second thought, maybe they are like dollars in the bank in today's climate. :rolleyes:)

There are times in the history of this board where an uproar has resulted in changes being retracted. Most recently a proposal to eliminate the 50% MQM bonus on YBM fares. (If you've been around here long enough, you know what I'm talking about.) And maybe there's concern that the famed bdschobel is still around. ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16939382-post1116.html

The tea leaves make it seem likely that program changes are coming in the direction of a revenue based program, or perhaps a program more like the European programs. At that time, you can search Youtube for the video of dean1121 and bubbashow dancing in the streets with mbwmbw playing the fiddle for them. Meanwhile back in Hapeville, NoPlaceLikeHome will be looking for a Delta executive to serve her class action lawsuit papers to. (She is convinced they are holed up in an Atlanta area Waffle House. Little does shoe know that Delta arranged the construction of a secret Waffle House bunker at an undisclosed location near the Greenbriar Resort in W.V.) :cool:

David

dean1121 Nov 20, 2012 6:48 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave (Post 19716477)
I can't even remember seeing any post where somebody was burning Skypesos at high levels just to burn them.

If you have the opportunity to burn miles on low level awards, that's always a good strategy. If it's a high fare route, medium might make sense as well. Miles aren't dollars in the bank. They aren't earning interest, and every now and then they get devalued. (OK on second thought, maybe they are like dollars in the bank in today's climate. :rolleyes:)

There are times in the history of this board where an uproar has resulted in changes being retracted. Most recently a proposal to eliminate the 50% MQM bonus on YBM fares. (If you've been around here long enough, you know what I'm talking about.) And maybe there's concern that the famed bdschobel is still around. ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16939382-post1116.html

The tea leaves make it seem likely that program changes are coming in the direction of a revenue based program, or perhaps a program more like the European programs. At that time, you can search Youtube for the video of dean1121 and bubbashow dancing in the streets with mbwmbw playing the fiddle for them. Meanwhile back in Hapeville, NoPlaceLikeHome will be looking for a Delta executive to serve her class action lawsuit papers to. (She is convinced they are holed up in an Atlanta area Waffle House. Little does shoe know that Delta arranged the construction of a secret Waffle House bunker at an undisclosed location near the Greenbriar Resort in W.V.) :cool:

Great post. I'll keep my dancing shoes close and provide my wife's violin for the festivities. :)))

David

n7371f Nov 20, 2012 6:50 am

Ignorance is bliss! It's coming, trust me. Roll out is delayed...that's all.