Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Were Going To Do Something Different Today"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

DTW-ORD had a mechanical problem with some exit row seats (row 11), so the GA announced that they were "doing something different" by allowing rows 12 and higher to board first. The folks in EC were upset because the bins were full by the time rows 5 to 11 were allowed to board.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I'd be mad, too. A published benefit of EC is early boarding.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
You mean 12 and higher boarded before Medallions? I can see why they wanted the back of plane to board so the could fix row 11, however they should have shut the bins from rows 1-11
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Update: Turns out that the cushions in the exit row seats were "too thick". They had to be changed out with thinner cushions.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They should have stationed an FA or two in the EC area to guard those bins. Or offloaded everything that was stored there by people sitting in the back.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They should have stationed an FA or two in the EC area to guard those bins. Or offloaded everything that was stored there by people sitting in the back.
Gate checked to BKK is my vote.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
I'd be mad, too. A published benefit of EC is early boarding.
Personally, I wouldn't have minded providing bin space had been reserved. But, it is a published benefit one that people pay for either with cash or their loyalty. So, I think it's inappropriate, especially for something that seems like a relatively easy fix.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta, United
OT but today as I boarded a PAX two in front of me put their bag in the overhead for EC and then marched to the back. Thus filling the last slot in the EC area. I informed the FA politely and asked if they would remove the bag. At that point several PAX moved things around so I could put my bag in. I thanked them for their help. As I left the plane I left the PAX a note on their rude behavior.

As for the OP I would have been PO'ed - send a note.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ahhh yes, watch out for those overly-thick seat cushions. Obviously a major safety hazard. FAA inspectors are really trying to earn their pay.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by RRDD
Update: Turns out that the cushions in the exit row seats were "too thick". They had to be changed out with thinner cushions.
I hate it when the seats are too comfortable.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I was in F on a flight last year where not everyone in F boarded early. A guy put an oversize bag in the bin over my seat, placing it sideways so it took up enough room for 2 regular bags an then proceeded to the rear of Y. When the pax sittting next to me in F boarded, there was no room left for his bag. After the FA gave up trying to make space, I told her that it would be OK to gate check 'that bag', never stating that it was mine. I got a number of thumbs up from other pax and was kind enough to leave the gate check tag with the FA as I debarked.

One of those times when the good guys win.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
OT but today as I boarded a PAX two in front of me put their bag in the overhead for EC and then marched to the back. Thus filling the last slot in the EC area. I informed the FA politely and asked if they would remove the bag. At that point several PAX moved things around so I could put my bag in. I thanked them for their help. As I left the plane I left the PAX a note on their rude behavior.
I would have moved their bags someplace appropriate (either on boarding or when leaving).
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
After the FA gave up trying to make space, I told her that it would be OK to gate check 'that bag', never stating that it was mine.
You're going to Frequent Flyer Hell for that one. I'll join you there. I hear they have better cocktails than the Sky Clubs.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
After the FA gave up trying to make space, I told her that it would be OK to gate check 'that bag', never stating that it was mine. I got a number of thumbs up from other pax and was kind enough to leave the gate check tag with the FA as I debarked
^^ Brilliant!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I was in F on a flight last year where not everyone in F boarded early. A guy put an oversize bag in the bin over my seat, placing it sideways so it took up enough room for 2 regular bags an then proceeded to the rear of Y. When the pax sittting next to me in F boarded, there was no room left for his bag. After the FA gave up trying to make space, I told her that it would be OK to gate check 'that bag', never stating that it was mine. I got a number of thumbs up from other pax and was kind enough to leave the gate check tag with the FA as I debarked.

One of those times when the good guys win.

Bonus points had you gate checked it to LOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.