SWU Usage clarification

Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion
SWU Usage clarification

Hello,
I'd appreciate anyone's help with clarifying how I might use an SWU (I rarely use one). My wife and I fly to RSW in a couple weeks. She's on a First Class ticket because she rarely/never gets upgraded as a GM. I'm a DM and usually (not always) get an upgrade. I'm on a T fare to RSW and will likely get an upgrade. But, can I move up on the upgrade list if I haven't cleared at check in time by calling the Diamond desk and burning an SWU certificate? The web site is of no help to me. Sorry to be such a dumb a.. about this and thanks for any input.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Old Bailey
Hello,
I'd appreciate anyone's help with clarifying how I might use an SWU (I rarely use one). My wife and I fly to RSW in a couple weeks. She's on a First Class ticket because she rarely/never gets upgraded as a GM. I'm a DM and usually (not always) get an upgrade. I'm on a T fare to RSW and will likely get an upgrade. But, can I move up on the upgrade list if I haven't cleared at check in time by calling the Diamond desk and burning an SWU certificate? The web site is of no help to me. Sorry to be such a dumb a.. about this and thanks for any input.
Nope, SWUs don't work on sLUT fares.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Not only do you have to a fare class of K or higher (domestically) Delta will probably charge you a change fee to buy up from T to K -- but it doesn't hurt to call and ask, all they can say is no.

And the K fare + SWU itself doesn't guarantee an upgrade (has to be upgrade space) but it will put to at or near to the top of the list.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:09 pm
mpp

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

And the K fare + SWU itself doesn't guarantee an upgrade (has to be upgrade space) but it will put to at or near to the top of the list.
If it's coded correctly which most often it is not. The twitter folks or skyclub agents can usually fix it. For you, "UP2A" are the magic words but you will need that K or higher fare.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Wrong thread

Last edited by thirtyfour; Nov 13, 2012 at 7:04 am Reason: Wrong thread
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
The Point Guy has a good post about this - http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/maxi...-domestically/

I followed his advice for some transcon redeyes where getting the upgrade was important and hard. In each case I was #1 on the upgrade list out of 30+ and got 1 of 2 seats. Several of the skyclub reps did not even know how it worked - I was confused about the fact that I was checked in for the confirmed seat but not for the waitlisted SWU seat and they could not help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.