Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Going to Jsut Miss Silver Medallion - Any Options???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I just looked at my profile, and by the time my travel is done for the year, I am going to miss my silver medallion by 300 miles and 1 segment. Is there anything I can do? Will the miles carry over to 2013 or do I have to start all over again? Can I pay for miles to get it??

How frustrating...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
1) do a mileage run
2) delta has hinted they are going to sell MQMs again this year. Buy them. Likely will go on sale early December like last year
3) get a delta Amex with activation MQMs

Pretty easy to get 300 mqm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Welcome to FT! Lots of recent threads about this subject. A Delta rep has hinted that they will be selling MQMs at the end of 2012, so you may be able to simply buy up to FO (Silver Medallion). Hertz has a 250 MQM promo right now, too. Examine your anticipated travel for next year, too - are you going to fly enough that you would appreciate the benefits from FO?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Useful threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tays-back.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...mqm-offer.html

Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Can you change (or even pay to same day confirmed -- can't remember if this is allowed) one of your planned trips to add a connection?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
Originally Posted by ashill
Can you change (or even pay to same day confirmed -- can't remember if this is allowed) one of your planned trips to add a connection?
I believe it is hit or miss to add legs, the rules state something about reducing number of segments is fine. OP can cross fingers for a schedule change/cancel and rebook to an additional segment. If cancelling an existing booking is an option, check ITA for cheap multi-segment 1-ways. I flew DTW-MCO-ATL-BDL (almost ATL-DTW-BDL with SDC) for something like $200 in September.

The DL Amex will get you there, plus a nice little rollover.

IMO
1) Rebook to add one segment one direction - ITA Matrix can help
2) Change routing, ex. FLL-DTW-PVD > FLL-ATL-PVD
3) Try to SDC ($50) through an additional segment
4) HHonors 250 bonus + Hertz 250 bonus
5) DL Amex
6) MR
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Where are you based out of? Could you do a quick lunch in NYC? For instance I am based out of ROC, and usually can fly to LGA for about $110 round trip, 1000 MQM and 2 MQS though it is 11CPM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
I am yet to book my final trip, so maybe I'll simply include a stop between here and there. I assume that gets me that segment I need, correct?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adawg88
I am yet to book my final trip, so maybe I'll simply include a stop between here and there. I assume that gets me that segment I need, correct?
Probably, but maybe not. For example, if you add a segment that is a continuation of a previous flt, the connecting segment is ignored. If you get around this and the flt is DL or DL Connection, you are probably okay.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by adawg88
It would be 3 (or 4, if you stop both ways) segments. It would also be more miles, though how many depends on just where. (E.g. LGA-DTW-MSP gains something like 20 miles over LGA-MSP.)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
It would be 3 (or 4, if you stop both ways) segments. It would also be more miles, though how many depends on just where. (E.g. LGA-DTW-MSP gains something like 20 miles over LGA-MSP.)
Since MQMs over 25,000 for Silver will roll over, then OP might as well try to get more miles this way. However, as Sez_Who already pointed out above, be careful about direct flights as they do not receive the additional segment credit, while miles are computed as if the travel had been nonstop.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Buy a SkyClub Membership:
SkyMiles members who purchase or renew a one-year or three-year Sky Club membership through Dec. 31, 2012 can get two additional months free with promotion code SC2MO or 1,500 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) with promotion code SCMQM.

You may renew before your current membership ends to take advantage of the offer and your new membership will be added to your existing term. Log on with your SkyMiles number and then go to the SkyClub page. Rates vary by elite level (cheaper at the top). For base members, a one-year Delta Sky Club membership is $500, and lower if elite level. A one-year membership earning 1,500 MQMs will come at a cost of $.33 per MQM. (3 years = $1265 but then you wouldn't do this next year.) This deal is best used by those who are already planning to purchase lounge membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.