Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM
FWIW, I signed up for the gold card last March and called this past Sunday to upgrade to the platinum card. I was offered 5k bonus & 5k MQM with first purchase on new card, confirmed that I would still receive my $99 companion cert from my gold card (as my effective date was last March), next year I will get the platinum companion cert, and that all spending on the gold card this year would go towards my platinum spending (thus towards the platinum MQM bonus). Today I noticed my AMEX account has been changed to platinum and I also received the $99 companion cert via email. So far so good.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
As was mentioned, in the 2nd post of this thread, if you were paying $99 annual Gold renewal and $99 to use your cert, that's on you. Whereas paying ~$150 got you the Platinum card, with *free* companion cert...and MQMs.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jtrue28:20446310
As was mentioned, in the 2nd post of this thread, if you were paying $99 annual Gold renewal and $99 to use your cert, that's on you. Whereas paying ~$150 got you the Platinum card, with *free* companion cert...and MQMs.
Which is why the recent discussion is about upgrading to plat after the first year. With the $99 cert, gold makes sense the first year bc the AF is waived (though admittedly, still no MQMs) .
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
When I did the upgrade, my spending did not convert over.
I was close to the spending threshold, did the upgrade with the understanding my platinum spending would start at where I left gold, but when I hit 25K, it never materialized.
Keep checking and YMMV.
Good luck.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Because in the past, (before they ditched the Gold certs) when you "upgraded" to Platinum, you would still get the Gold cert, until you had been a Platinum member for 1 year. I upgraded my Platinum card to the Reserve, but had to wait until the renewal for the Reserve before I got that comp. cert.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Because in the past, (before they ditched the Gold certs) when you "upgraded" to Platinum, you would still get the Gold cert, until you had been a Platinum member for 1 year. I upgraded my Platinum card to the Reserve, but had to wait until the renewal for the Reserve before I got that comp. cert.
I can't tell if you were responding to my previous post. But what you describe is the same pattern that others have reported, as recently as a few days ago.

I agree with you that without the $99 certificate, the Gold card is pretty worthless now, except maybe for kettles who are flying a family somewhere and want a bunch of checked bags for free.

With the $99 certificate, which some folks are still getting as they reach their first renewal/AF date, it's still only worth it for the first year when the AF is waived ($0 initial AF + $99 cert + $95 renewal AF < $150 initial AF + $0 cert + $150 renewal AF).
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Burned my last companion ticket today for a flight a week before its expiration. Wondering how many companion tix are still floating out there...and will actually get used.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
Mine just issued and is good until June 2014 - but it's the only one I'll get on my DL Gold AmEx. I don't find the terms to be that restrictive on use, so I think I'll be able to get some value out of it.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
Mine just issued and is good until June 2014 - but it's the only one I'll get on my DL Gold AmEx. I don't find the terms to be that restrictive on use, so I think I'll be able to get some value out of it.
When did you get your Gold AmEx card? I got mine in August 2013 and am wondering if I made the cut-off for a $99 companion cert
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Omne38103
When did you get your Gold AmEx card? I got mine in August 2013 and am wondering if I made the cut-off for a $99 companion cert
Impressive. There should definitely be a market for time travel technology.

Assuming you meant 8/2012, I think you should be good. IIRC, if you obtained the card before January 2013, you're entitled to one $99 companion cert on your first anniversary, and then that's it.

I got my Gold in spring of 2012, got the cert the same month in 2013, burned it and immediately upgraded to the Plat DL card. CSR confirmed via SM that I'll get the free plat cert same time next spring.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Impressive. There should definitely be a market for time travel technology.

Assuming you meant 8/2012, I think you should be good. IIRC, if you obtained the card before January 2013, you're entitled to one $99 companion cert on your first anniversary, and then that's it.

I got my Gold in spring of 2012, got the cert the same month in 2013, burned it and immediately upgraded to the Plat DL card. CSR confirmed via SM that I'll get the free plat cert same time next spring.
Haha you are correct, I meant 8/2012! Thanks, hopefully I manage to a) get it and b) redeem it! Flying out of MEM flights tend to be pretty pricey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.