Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Jacko Biznicki
I recieved my $99 companion ticket from amex and went to use it. For 2days i was trying to book a flight. No luck and after multiple cals was told only on l and u fares. I have no clue about fare types.

I thought i was getting a companion ticket with no strings attached. At least that is what i was told when amex talked me up to platinum from my gold card

All i can say is what a rip off
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

L and U are the economy (read: Cheap economy) seats. You're better off with certs that can be used on L and U, which are the cheaper seats and what people TRY to book, instead of a cert that's only allowed for expensive economy (aka "Premium Economy - Y/B/M", or on the mid-tier fares that can still cost hundreds more than the L/U fare classes). The economy fares are Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, E in descending order.

If you do a flight search on Delta.com, above the price it should say Economy (#), where the # is where the fare class is shown. On Delta.com when you do flight searches there is an option to select Fare Class with a drop down menu (below where you choose the schedule and cities). You want that set for the option "Economy U (or higher)". It's possible you're hitting T fares that are keeping you from being able to book the certificate. (Although I thought these certificates were good for L, U, and T fares.)

If you want to post the airport codes and the dates I'm happy to try to find a flight or two that are valid routes. The certificates are unfortunately restricted, but generally in the customer's favor... sounds like it wasn't fully described to you, but this should be pretty easy to get around (as long as you're not trying to book <7 days, or <14 days for some markets) out.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jb008
You may be out of luck since you're first renewal will fall within their "effective date". I assume that part of renewing is implicit agreement to the new terms and agreements. They've probably dated it for several months AFTER they announced to clear old documents and ads that include mention of a companion certificate with your Gold card.

I agree to get it in writing, mine came via their secure messaging system and the agent explicitly said I'll get a certificate at renewal in May, 2013. I'm going to hold them to that and fully expect to get it. If you get more info from your communications it'd be helpful to see what you hear back.

Thanks - jb
FYI--
"Please note that this [JAN 2013] will be the last Companion Certificate you are eligible to receive, as this benefit will no longer be awarded to Gold Delta SkyMiles® Cardmembers. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at the number on the back of your Card."

Guess that answers that.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
A quick question here:

My GOLD card renews in April. If I upgrade to the Plat now, AMEX told me I would get my companion cert at renewal.

Does that mean if I wait until May to upgrade that I'll have to wait until April 2014 for my next cert?

Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
My GOLD card renews in April. If I upgrade to the Plat now, AMEX told me I would get my companion cert at renewal.

Does that mean if I wait until May to upgrade that I'll have to wait until April 2014 for my next cert?
Based on (far too many) calls with AMEX CSRs, it appears the Gold-linked companion ticket was only valid for renewal dates *until* late JAN '13. YMMV, but I will take this to mean a Gold renewal date later than late JAN '13 = no Gold-linked companion ticket.

Cancelling (read: incurring a AMEX-designated waiting period) is not the same as upgrading. If you upgrade from Gold to Plat with no lull, I am further assuming based on talking with CSRs, that you will get the Plat-linked companion ticket 1 year (likely closer to 13 months) from the start of having a Plat CC. This has nothing to due with your previous Gold cycle.

FWIW--I got the Gold Companion ticket in late JAN, used it immediately, cancelled the Gold AMEX CC (no retention offer because of my low spend) , and am now waiting for AMEX to lure me to Plat with a non-standard offer. No biggie if they don't call since I really don't see the new Plat CC as on par with other CCs out there (e.g. CSP, AMEX SPG, etc) unless you exclusively fly Delta.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI:20430102
Originally Posted by lucycan

Based on (far too many) calls with AMEX CSRs, it appears the Gold-linked companion ticket was only valid for renewal dates *until* late JAN '13. YMMV, but I will take this to mean a Gold renewal date later than late JAN '13 = no Gold-linked companion ticket.

Cancelling (read: incurring a AMEX-designated waiting period) is not the same as upgrading. If you upgrade from Gold to Plat with no lull, I am further assuming based on talking with CSRs, that you will get the Plat-linked companion ticket 1 year (likely closer to 13 months) from the start of having a Plat CC. This has nothing to due with your previous Gold cycle.

FWIW--I got the Gold Companion ticket in late JAN, used it immediately, cancelled the Gold AMEX CC (no retention offer because of my low spend) , and am now waiting for AMEX to lure me to Plat with a non-standard offer. No biggie if they don't call since I really don't see the new Plat CC as on par with other CCs out there (e.g. CSP, AMEX SPG, etc) unless you exclusively fly Delta.
A previous post mentioned that new cards acquired in 2012 would receive one cert upon their first renewal in 2013.

Can anyone who got their gold card in Feb or Mar 2012 confirm whether or not you received a companion certificate upon renewal this past couple months?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I found I never used the companion certificate anyway so I dropped the card. Sounds like I definitely didn't miss out.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Maybe Amex figured I need their miserable Gold Skymiles card in 2014 to charge $25,000 on it so that I can keep Diamond for 2015. Still better than dropping $12,500 plus taxes on Delta tickets to accomplish the same thing.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by gooselee
A previous post mentioned that new cards acquired in 2012 would receive one cert upon their first renewal in 2013.

Can anyone who got their gold card in Feb or Mar 2012 confirm whether or not you received a companion certificate upon renewal this past couple months?
My dad got his Gold card in December. Concerned about this, he called to try to upgrade to the Platinum card, which they wouldn't let him do, but they did say he will get a companion cert in December when he pays the fee. We'll see. . .
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
My dad got his Gold card in December. Concerned about this, he called to try to upgrade to the Platinum card, which they wouldn't let him do, but they did say he will get a companion cert in December when he pays the fee. We'll see. . .
I'm prepared to be surprised, but I'd bet against this Gold-linked companion ticket ever being issued...especially since Delta AMEX announced the withdrawal of the benefit in NOV '12, seemingly before the initial CC was issued.

I'd get it in writing ASAP in a SM directly from AMEX. Old phone calls carry little water.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I'm prepared to be surprised, but I'd bet against this Gold-linked companion ticket ever being issued...especially since Delta AMEX announced the withdrawal of the benefit in NOV '12, seemingly before the initial CC was issued.

I'd get it in writing ASAP in a SM directly from AMEX. Old phone calls carry little water.
Just got this in writing from Amex, that I will receive the Gold $99-version certificate upon my first renewal.

Interestingly, I asked about upgrading to Plat, and they said that even if I did that and paid the higher AF, the cert in 2013 would still be the $99 version, and I would not get the free Plat cert until my 2014 renewal.

I think I've seen some rare reports of the cert getting upgraded to the free version, as well, but even if not, it's still a decent deal as I paid no AF the first year for the gold card.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
AMEX has really confused the public on this one and I am sure MANY folks have simply cancelled their gold card because of it.

I called in today to cancel mine because I was told I would not get my Plat cert until 2014 and when they put a supervisor on they ASSURED me that I will get a Plat cert when I renew in about 30 days. I told her I didn't believe her so she put notes in my file and said they will be sending me an email to have it in writing.

So I upgraded today and hope I'll see the cert by May.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan:20441484
AMEX has really confused the public on this one and I am sure MANY folks have simply cancelled their gold card because of it.

I called in today to cancel mine because I was told I would not get my Plat cert until 2014 and when they put a supervisor on they ASSURED me that I will get a Plat cert when I renew in about 30 days. I told her I didn't believe her so she put notes in my file and said they will be sending me an email to have it in writing.

So I upgraded today and hope I'll see the cert by May.
I actually find Amex's secure message system to work quite well for clearing up things like this, and the CSRs there often clearer and more knowledgeable than the phone agents. Maybe because they're able to take the time to look at my account and research details before just spouting out an answer on the phone. Sure, I have to wait a couple hours for a response, but it's usually clearer, and now I have it in writing through their own communication portal.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Just got this in writing from Amex, that I will receive the Gold $99-version certificate upon my first renewal.

Interestingly, I asked about upgrading to Plat, and they said that even if I did that and paid the higher AF, the cert in 2013 would still be the $99 version, and I would not get the free Plat cert until my 2014 renewal.

I think I've seen some rare reports of the cert getting upgraded to the free version, as well, but even if not, it's still a decent deal as I paid no AF the first year for the gold card.
When I upgraded my DeltaGoldAmex->DeltaPlatAmex, I did it about 2 months prior to renewal and got the free cert.
If you are planning and able to use the cert, the savings ($99) is less than the difference in price from Gold-DeltaPlat.

Prior to my next DeltaPlat renewal, I am considering moving to the non-Delta AmexPlat. I'm still evaluating, but I think I get a free companion ticket, SkyClub (and other airline) boardroom access, and a $200 credit which would make my net costs lower. I have 4 months to decide and I am sure many other threads to review.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tikiboy
When I upgraded my DeltaGoldAmex->DeltaPlatAmex, I did it about 2 months prior to renewal and got the free cert.
If you are planning and able to use the cert, the savings ($99) is less than the difference in price from Gold-DeltaPlat.

Prior to my next DeltaPlat renewal, I am considering moving to the non-Delta AmexPlat. I'm still evaluating, but I think I get a free companion ticket, SkyClub (and other airline) boardroom access, and a $200 credit which would make my net costs lower. I have 4 months to decide and I am sure many other threads to review.

I just got my DL Gold last year, so I cannot upgrade to DL Plat until after renewal (12 month wait due to CARD Act). Otherwise I would have already upgraded.

Definitely research the unbranded Amex Plat for specific benefits (http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...ts/AllBenefits). I have both that and the DL Gold, and enjoy the unbranded Plat primarily for SkyClub & PriorityPass access, $200 airline credit, Global Entry application credit, and National Exec status. Folks the Amex forum will disagree, but I've found the concierge to be of use as well, so long as you temper your expectations.

But for the flight benefits, I'm only an FO, so the club access and airline credit have lots of value to me. Not sure how much they'd mean to you, since as a DM you already have SkyClub and many fees are waived (unless you use your airline credit on a different airline). Also, the unbranded Plat companion certificate is for full-fare international F/J tickets only. Unless those are the tickets you typically buy, it's often the same/cheaper to buy discounted fare classes.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum

But for the flight benefits, I'm only an FO, so the club access and airline credit have lots of value to me. Not sure how much they'd mean to you, since as a DM you already have SkyClub and many fees are waived (unless you use your airline credit on a different airline). Also, the unbranded Plat companion certificate is for full-fare international F/J tickets only. Unless those are the tickets you typically buy, it's often the same/cheaper to buy discounted fare classes.
Thanks for the feedback and reminder that I am now only a Platinum (and I updated my details). I paid for the SkyClub for this year and the bonus MQM were enough to kick me into PM.
I find I enjoy the clubs more than I want to admit, which is why I was looking at the non-branded card as an option for next year.
Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.