Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
There was some discussion on here in January that this might have been eliminated. I seem to remember in subsequent discussions that it was no longer listed as an advertised benefit, but was still a benefit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...questions.html
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nittany987
Aren't these companion certs viewable somewhere on the website? I can't seem to find the one from the SM Platinum card.

As a side note, at some point over the past couple of months, it appears that the free checked bag benefit of my platinum card no longer "stacks" with the free bags associated with medallion status. I used to show 3 bags for free, now just the standard 2. Not that big of a deal to me personally, but it does seem as if AmEx + DL are rolling back benefits of these cards.

I'd be more concerned if I wasn't going to drop this card like a bad habit soon.
They are visible on the new Delta site in the My Delta page in the My Wallet section. Have you had the card for over a year? You do not get the companion cert until your first anniversary.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by LBJ
They are visible on the new Delta site in the My Delta page in the My Wallet section. Have you had the card for over a year? You do not get the companion cert until your first anniversary.
+1 when the annual fee generates
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:02 am
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Source?
From November's statement for my DL AMEX Gold card, last page.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL EOS...
I've been played by this Gold Amex long enough - where can somebody compare other cards that would still be of some benefit for earning RDM's?

Do Citi Thank You points transfer to SM's easily enough?

My Gold Amex will be paid off and renewal's coming up - probably time for a change, but which one?

I looked around on the FT index page and didn't see any obvious forum where this might be discussed? Comments and advice dearly appreciated....
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve
Companion Certificate is no longer listed as a benefit of my Delta Reserve Amex
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jk2
From November's statement for my DL AMEX Gold card, last page.
Same on mine.

Between removing this and the miles boost...I'm finding fewer reasons to keep this card. Anyone have success transitioning to a fee-free AMEX from the Gold (without much impact to credit, penalties, etc.)?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HillTiger
I also couldn't find it on the Amex benefits page for the Delta Reserve card. That sucks. I've had my Reserve card about 6 months so I didn't get the chance to get one, let alone use one.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
As a lowly Silver who's card is renewing why would I want to keep the gold card? What am I missing.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realjd
I also couldn't find it on the Amex benefits page for the Delta Reserve card. That sucks. I've had my Reserve card about 6 months so I didn't get the chance to get one, let alone use one.
This has been covered extensively. While it's not listed on the Amex benefits page (they have not been advertising the benefit for quite awhile now, this is not something new), companion certs are still benefits of the Plat and Reserve cards. My wife just hit the first anniversary on her Plat card, and her companion cert is now available on delta.com

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:25 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You see bag fees during OLCI if they apply.

There was also a page on the old delta.dumb that had charts with pictures of bags showing how many are allowed by cabin class, region, and elite status. Different colors were used for 50 and 70 pound bags.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ti22
I've been played by this Gold Amex long enough - where can somebody compare other cards that would still be of some benefit for earning RDM's?

Do Citi Thank You points transfer to SM's easily enough?

My Gold Amex will be paid off and renewal's coming up - probably time for a change, but which one?

I looked around on the FT index page and didn't see any obvious forum where this might be discussed? Comments and advice dearly appreciated....
Some people here like the former NW USBank WorldPerks Visa card, which now buys a plane ticket for someone with enough points. It does have an annual fee.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HillTiger
Companion Certificate no longer listed as a benefit for Platinum. Mine just renewed and I have the companion certificate in my profile, but it will be interesting to see if this renews next year.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 pm

I wonder if this is somewhat the result of the MSP local television news feature about the AmEx companion pass that was a matter of someone, IIRC with the Gold AmEx card and apparently not an elite, not reading and understanding the T&C. IMO the reporter seemed to have no understanding or interest in the T&C either, so the story seemed unfair to me.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles PM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold#1
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I signed up for a Gold Amex when I moved from CO to DL in Jan 2010. Later on a nice American Female at ATL persuaded me to sign for the Plat Amex. I never used the Companion Cert anyway. But my strategy for the last couple of months has and will be to pay down the Gold (should be done next month) and close the account. I will just have the DL PLat then. This news has not made the decision anymore difficult.
Why did you get a second skymiles AMEX? Why didn't you just upgrade the gold card to plat?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.