Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I have a problem with this. JFK SkyClub

I have a problem with this. JFK SkyClub

Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by txaggie94
I did. And the Sky Club lady told me she saw his papers. I said: "No, you didn't. When he went to get them, you said you didn't need to see them." Then she said: "Well, I have to be careful. I'm trained on Emotional Support Animals, and it's a fine line."

My reply was that I am going to a quack, paying $300, and bringing a pit viper with me next time I come to the Sky Club. She was not amused. I'll be calling Delta on this.
If it came in a carrier it is not a service animal. If it paid its freight, it's a pet.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
I did. And the Sky Club lady told me she saw his papers. I said: "No, you didn't. When he went to get them, you said you didn't need to see them." Then she said: "Well, I have to be careful. I'm trained on Emotional Support Animals, and it's a fine line."

My reply was that I am going to a quack, paying $300, and bringing a pit viper with me next time I come to the Sky Club. She was not amused. I'll be calling Delta on this.
The service animal industry is a sham. There are legitimate people who need a service animal, but they are being outnumbered by people who are abusing the system. There is no test, no licensing, and no training required.

I think a strong complaint to DL is in order. The complaint should be 1) The animal is off leash in a public area. 2) The lounge workers did nothing about the animal being off leash.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL FO
And now it's barking! And growling! Some kind of service dog, huh?????
Just a mannerless jackass is all he is.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
And I am assuming you are going to please take a picture with your cell phone of the dog running around to send that to DL as well. I would also get the lounge attendant's name and show her the pic and tell her you are naming her in your complaint also.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Sky doggy park

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
. . . Even if the animal is a service animal, it should not be allowed to roam freely in the skyclub. It's just rude.
Especially if the dog is a service animal: leaving its care rceiver unserviced. Obviously he doesn't need the emotional support, either; obviously you and a few others may need some if this becomes the norm.
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
And I am assuming you are going to please take a picture with your cell phone of the dog running around to send that to DL as well. I would also get the lounge attendant's name and show her the pic and tell her you are naming her in your complaint also.
^ It is a Sky Club, not a Sky doggy park. What if another dog comes in, even a service animal?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:15 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Likely some healthcode violations there.

Why don't you ask the owner "Isn't your service animal supposed to be kept on a leash?"

I never get the people who take to FT to air complaints when they can pursue the situation in person as it happens.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw something similar in the SFO SC last month. A woman had a white poodle or something similar loose in the lounge. It was intimidating people from trying to use the back area to the left beyond the restrooms (IIRC the quiet area). I reported it to the dragon who said she would go see what was going on, but I had to leave for my flight before seeing any resolution of the issue.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by 11psiGSR
I understand why the SkyClub lady might not push the issue around the "service dog" part... but what I don't understand is why she did not at least require him to put it on a leash?

I absolutely love dogs, but this would bother me as well. Not because of the dog itself, more the lack of respect the owner is apparently showing.

Maybe the dog had a DM tag on his neck?
No for this it would have to have KM
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
The point to STRESS in your letter is that Emotional Support Animals have specific federal laws regarding accommodating them in public housing, and in the CABIN of airlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_support_animal
http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA-flying

The laws say nothing about forcing the airlines to accommodate them in non-public areas such as the clubs. Especially off-leash. Food service regulations especially might trump any wish Delta wants to make for ESAs in the Clubs.

Personally, I believe someone with the mental fragility to require an ESA to fly, should not be visiting crowded clubs serving alcohol and containing members who may lurch suddenly and fling cheese in the direction of the ESA, but I'm not a mental health professional and I'm not allowed to demand to see their required doctor's letter.

Perhaps your letter should request that Delta change the policy to demand to see the doctor's letter for club access, but to also call the mental health professional (as they're allowed to do) to verify the letter is valid, and less than a year old as it has to be.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
I'll be calling Delta on this.
Please do!!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
No for this it would have to have KM
K9 Medallion?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Well her first name must be Shena...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:56 pm

The service animal thing really is out of control, and judging by articles like these: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius...le-3334176.php it seems like businesses are too afraid of lawsuits to do much about it. I guess this might be a good case for good ol fashioned public shaming !
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Quite frankly I'm surprised the OP didn't post a picture...

But if they are in a kennel under normal circumstances I'm not sure how they can be of much 'service'
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by cardood
Someone call Orville Redenbacher. It's popcorn time!

c|d
^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.