Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing Upgrades Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Clearing Upgrades Question

Just a simple one on upgrades. When your T-6/5/3/etc and the first class seats available is slowly reducing (4 in the AM, 2 later in day...). Are those medallion upgrades clearing or FCM?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to FC purchases, there can also be mileage and instrument (RUC's etc.) based upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Seeing seats disappear doesn't explain why. There is a way to see how much upgrade inventory there is. Do an advanced search for a Y fare. Check upgrade availability for that flight. If it says "Available" then there is upgrade inventory (because a full Y fare would immediately clear). If it says "Eligible" there is none (presently). You can then increase the number of seats you are trying to book to see at what point it stops saying "Available".
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Also, people adversely affected by IRROPS, IDBs and other circumstances get upgraded too.

I once went from #2 for 2 UG seats to #11 for 0 UG seats within 30 minutes after a DCA-ATL segment before my flight went CX, and a number of pax on the earlier flight were rebooked onto my DCA-MSP segment.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Could also be SDC and irrops handling.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Upgrades Clearing? What is that?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
The way things have been going so far this year, I'd assume that 4 in the AM, 2 in the PM would be too low to think that upgrades are clearing for ANYONE. They seem to get more and more greedy with FCM as the months go on.

I typically keep an eye on C+ as well. You can assume that upgrades that clear will most likely be cleared for DM/PMs who can select C+ for free. If there is an even swap between C+ and F (-2 F, +2 C+) I assume that upgrades cleared. More than not, I think FCM comes from the way back, not high level medallions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.