Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Flying Delta from JFK-HNL. Would Delta reps in JFK interline a bag on HA for an inter-island flight from HNL-LIH?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE

HA stopped that practice several months ago. There will be a charge unless the HA ticket was purchased on the same iten as JFK-HNL.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:43 am

Hmmm ... what about this award ticket booked on Delta?

Day 1: DTW-HNL (Delta)
Day 4: HNL-OGG (HA)
Day 7: OGG-DTW (Delta)

As a PM, would I have to pay for baggage on the second leg?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Auston
Hmmm ... what about this award ticket booked on Delta?

Day 1: DTW-HNL (Delta)
Day 4: HNL-OGG (HA)
Day 7: OGG-DTW (Delta)

As a PM, would I have to pay for baggage on the second leg?
Yes, bag fees are determined by the operating carrier.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TTT
Yes, bag fees are determined by the operating carrier.
Yes, for that situation.

Aren't there also cases where ticketing carrier can provide a different baggage allowance than the operating carrier? Aren't there cases where the baggage allowance is set based on the greatest baggage allowance provided by the MSC on a ticketed itinerary? Aren't there cases where the baggage allowance is set by a government regulator?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
HA stopped that practice several months ago. There will be a charge unless the HA ticket was purchased on the same iten as JFK-HNL.
HA stopped the practice of interlining but that is from a return LIH-HNL on HA and a separate ticket on DL from HNL-JFK.

My situation is the reverse. Delta would be the one to decide whether or not they put a LIH or HNL as a final destination on my baggage. My question is will they?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, for that situation.

Aren't there also cases where ticketing carrier can provide a different baggage allowance than the operating carrier? Aren't there cases where the baggage allowance is set based on the greatest baggage allowance provided by the MSC on a ticketed itinerary? Aren't there cases where the baggage allowance is set by a government regulator?
At least the answers to the first and third questions is "yes".

So what is DL's current policy for a passenger who has a DL ticketed and operated flight on one ticketed itinerary and wants bags checked onto a same-day KL ticketed and operated flight -- will DL tag the bag for the KL ticketed and operated flight too?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
sorry to bump this old thread but i need some help. i have ticketed LAX-BZE on DL and i'm trying to decide whether to fly SMF-LAX (separate ticket) on WN, AA or DL. if i choose DL, will they likely interline my bag onto the 2nd DL ticket when checking in at SMF?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
sorry to bump this old thread but i need some help. i have ticketed LAX-BZE on DL and i'm trying to decide whether to fly SMF-LAX (separate ticket) on WN, AA or DL. if i choose DL, will they likely interline my bag onto the 2nd DL ticket when checking in at SMF?
If it's two records with an all Delta itinerary, I can't see why they wouldn't just append the extra segments onto your baggage tag. That's historically what they've done for me.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:21 pm

If you are originating in SMF to connect to your DL LAX BZE flight like the post sounds like you'd have to ask the originating airline to check your bag through to DL.

If DL almost certainly they'd check through on separate tickets

On AA they probably would do it

On WN they will under no circumstances do it as there is no baggage agreement between DL and WN
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL/AA will interline the bag through. Note that you'll only get the baggage allowance/fee waivers for the airline and ticket you're checking in for. Thus if you get extra baggage on the international ticket you will still have to pay for anything over what comes with the domestic ticket.

As noted WN has no interline agreements and thus no baggage can be transferred.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

FYI, for people following this topic, an updated rule was issued on Jan 11 2016.
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ry-2016-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.