Search

A Delta Aircraft Experience Update

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:56 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ITguy
Are there any plans to offer free WiFi or wireless entertainment to BE customers?
No, not at this time. But there is a huge library of free content (1,000+ choices) available via the AVOD system in BusinessElite.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Chris - HUGE thank you for all the info. Very much appreciated!!! Nice to read, can't wait to try all of it!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Chris,

Thanks for the updates. A couple of questions:

- Based on your post, it sounds like they plan more recline for domestic Economy Comfort. Is this the plan across the domestic fleet? So far, it seems to just be the aircraft used for international flights that have the extra recline.

- Any plans to introduce free spirits to customers in EC on Hawaii flights?

Thanks again!
No plans for additional recline in domestic Economy Comfort. Minimum pitch is 34" and standard recline is 4".

International/transoceanic Economy Comfort offers 35" pitch and 6" recline.

Complimentary spirits are only offered on international/transoceanic flights.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loran
Thank you for the update Chris!

I don't think I missed this amongst the earlier posts, but can you provide a timeline for flat-bed installs on the 767s and A330s? How many planes have been done and how many more to go?
The prototype A330-200 and A330-300 with the new interior will be flying in late spring 2013. The remaining 30 ships will go into mod from fall 2013 to summer 2014.

The 767-300ER fleet is moving quickly with the majority of the fleet complete in 2013 and just a handful left in early 2014.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnm1019
Hi Chris, thanks for the update. I have a question about IFE content.

I've noticed that most/all content on domestic flights is for-pay only. Will the new system differentiate between FC/EC/YC when it comes to which content is free/paid?

Also, have you considered incorporating medallion status (by swiping my medallion card) as a benefit for elite flyers by offering some premium content gratis?

Thanks
On aircraft with AVOD, the music library and satellite TV is complimentary in EC/YC. The exception is the 75E transcon fleet, which will be getting satellite TV in the near future.

Connecting the AVOD system to the Wi-Fi system in order to link the customer on the plane with his/her Medallion account is something we've looked at but it's a challenging scenario. Doesn't mean we won't continue to look at innovative ways of improving CRM, but it may be a while before we can implement something like that.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timf
With the other big monitors they are installing on domestic first and on the 744 and A330s, I'm surprised the 767 fleet is still only getting 10.6" monitors in BE. They look small in photos and dimensionally will be the smallest in the fleet other than the legacy AVOD systems on the 738 and 752.
When we made the decision to go with the Vantage flat-bed seat for the 767 fleet in late 2007, the 10.6" monitor was the largest monitor offered. In the world of aircraft modification programs, lead times are very long so switching to a larger monitor would have had a huge impact on the supply chain and added significant cost and engineering resources to the program.

That's one of the reasons our friends at United had to take a brand new 787 in 2012 with a 2007-era IFE system -- because of the long lead times associated with sourcing seats, IFE, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Burj
So will the A330's be getting the same BE seats as the 767 have now?
The A330 fleet will be installed with the same flat-bed seat as the 747. 34 seats in a 1-2-1 configuration.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Come often!

Chris
Thanks for posting your initial update, and then taking the time to answer question posed to you during the day. I kindly request that you continue to drop by and answer our questions. Ground truth, for better or worse, is preferred over the rumors that get started by "someone who knows someone".
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Nice!!! Will both the 333s and 332s have 34 seats in Business Elite? And will DL eventually stop flying the 752s across the Atlantic Ocean or refit the aircraft with flat seats in BE?

Thanks for the update, Chris.
There will still be some transoceanic flights using the 757 ETOPS birds...destinations like Brasilia and Reykjavik, for instance. But you'll likely see an overall reduction in the number of transatlantic 75E missions.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
There will still be some transoceanic flights using the 757 ETOPS birds...destinations like Brasilia and Reykjavik, for instance. But you'll likely see an overall reduction in the number of transatlantic 75E missions.
Ouch, right in the heart.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
Chris
Any chance you will put lie-flats on the 752s like the other airline with the first letter twice has on their route from here to the US?

Thanks!
Av8n
Our friends in Chicago and Dallas recently announced their new transcon products that will include flat-bed seats on their 752 and A321 aircraft, respectively.

Stay tuned for news from Atlanta on the subject...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
Chris
Thanks for posting your initial update, and then taking the time to answer question posed to you during the day. I kindly request that you continue to drop by and answer our questions. Ground truth, for better or worse, is preferred over the rumors that get started by "someone who knows someone".
I'll do my best to answer as many questions as I can!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Cool. Does this mean now all TATL/TPAC AC will have BE lie-flat seats (aside from the few 757s)? If so, no need to choose routes as carefully based on equipment! ^
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Chris,

Thanks for a fabulous update! I too, look forward to the 737-900 and the 717. Can't come too soon in my opinion. Conspicuously absent was any mention about the A320 or A319... I expect that the 320 is pretty much heading towards end of life, but what about the 319? A recurring theme here is that it was a BIG mistake dropping the fourth row of FC on those birds, glad to see that you've gone with 5 rows on the 737-900.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Indeed thank you so much for the updates. I for one am nothing short of thrilled with the 747S, 777ER, E75, CR7, and CR9 upgrades.

If it is not too much trouble, may I ask that you visit the below thread regarding SWUs on AF? There is much debate and speculation that would benefit from someone in the know.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.