Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead space.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Much has been said about overhead space, vis-a-vis pros and cons of first come first seved, versus trying to use the available overhead space closest your seat as far as is possible. Some people insist on putting their cabin baggage as far to the front as possible.
I was held up in customs in ATL upon my return from SIN. I had no checked baggage, just a smaller than regulation size carry on and my CPAP.
When I left the customs area, I knew I would have to rush to the gate. The security also took longer than I had hoped even though there was no one else in the priority line.
I knew the overhead space would be tight when I board as I was alread past the boarding time indicated on my BP, 40 minutes before scheduled departure.
I was hoping that I would not lose my F seat, 1D as I had to go from F concourse to gate 30 in A concourse. I made it to the gate about 20 minutes before departure; the gate area was desolate. There were only two people ahead of me in line. Since I did not know if they were elites, I decided not to jump in front of them by using the Sky Priority line. The GAwas busy typing away while we all waited. I was hoping she wasn't closing the flight. Finally, after a couple of minutes of typing, she looked at us.
I got on board and started looking for overhead space. The FA said, "we will find space for your things. F was fully seated, yet to my surprise there was space over between row 3 and 4, where I deposited my stuff. I had expected to find no space. I thought I would have to swim against the traffic when we landed. When we did, one guy from row 2 retrieved his stuff from overhead space over row 1 while two people in row 3 got their stuff from the space over row 2. One guy from row 2 was nice enough to notice the tired looks in my eyes and said "we will get your stuff for you".
While it's no problem to get your stuff from one row behind, it is , if your stuff is separated from you by three rows--behind you.
Please guys, try to keep your stuff one row behind if the space above your seat is full. One row forward dispalcement can mean three rows displacement for someone else. Let's all think ahead, not put your luggage ahead of us.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
I thoroughly second this!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific topic and overhead space has been discussed countless times on this forum and the other boards on FT. Therefore I am closing this to any further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.