Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which DL Partners Incur Fuel Surcharges (YQ/YR) when Redeeming DL miles for an Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which DL Partners Incur Fuel Surcharges (YQ/YR) when Redeeming DL miles for an Award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
KE and VA still do not charge YQ. Has DL announced something to this effect?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
I booked a business class award ticket on RO a few months ago by calling the SIN line (during the AF/KL outage this spring if anyone remembers) and I was charged $5X.XX YQ (I think that was Singapore dollars). This was just one segment on RO part of an USA-Europe round-trip. I have never tried booking on RO using the USA line to see if it yields the same YQ.
Based on this post (the poster had only DL and RO in his reservation and got charged YQ) and my personal experience quoted above, I am asking OP to put an Yes next to RO.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Has DL ever announced anything regarding carrier-imposed surcharges on award tickets?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
No formal announcement as far as I'm aware. Since its been a couple months since they collected YQ though I'm gonna change them to "No"

Based on this post (the poster had only DL and RO in his reservation and got charged YQ) and my personal experience quoted above, I am asking OP to put an Yes next to RO.
Done
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: DL FO
When folks say that fuel charges are generally not charged ex-Asia, what does that mean? Does the entire itinerary need to start in Asia?

I have the following booked:

LGA-(DL)-DTW-(DL)-NRT-(DL)-BKK
BKK-(VN)-HAN
SGN-(CZ)-CAN-(CZ)-LAX-(DL)-RDU-(DL)-JFK

When I switched from KE to CZ on the return flights, I got hit with a YR charge of $129. Was that appropriate?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by hoth300
When folks say that fuel charges are generally not charged ex-Asia, what does that mean? Does the entire itinerary need to start in Asia?

I have the following booked:

LGA-(DL)-DTW-(DL)-NRT-(DL)-BKK
BKK-(VN)-HAN
SGN-(CZ)-CAN-(CZ)-LAX-(DL)-RDU-(DL)-JFK

When I switched from KE to CZ on the return flights, I got hit with a YR charge of $129. Was that appropriate?
I don't know why people keep making remarks like "fuel charges are generally not charged ex-Asia". It's nonsense. There are two major times when fuel surcharges are collected. The first, award travel originating in Europe (or the Middle East if via AF/KL/AZ), does not apply here. The second is that there are some partners where YQ/YR is assessed regardless of origin. CZ is one of those partners, so if you fly CZ and they publish YQ/YR for their revenue fares on that route, you're going to pay.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't know why people keep making remarks like "fuel charges are generally not charged ex-Asia". It's nonsense. There are two major times when fuel surcharges are collected. The first, award travel originating in Europe (or the Middle East if via AF/KL/AZ), does not apply here. The second is that there are some partners where YQ/YR is assessed regardless of origin. CZ is one of those partners, so if you fly CZ and they publish YQ/YR for their revenue fares on that route, you're going to pay.
thanks for clarifying!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Kenya Airways (KQ) did not charge YQ/YR on their portion of an ex-USA award ticket booked in April 2013.

My flights are STL-DTW-CDG-NBO(KQ), return NBO-AMS(KQ)-DTW-STL.

No fuel surcharges on the KQ legs from CDG-NBO and NBO-AMS.

Detail
AY 10.00
CJ 9.20
FR 26.40
IZ 5.10
QX 35.50
RN 8.60
TU 40.00
VV 2.60
XA 5.00
XY 7.00
YC 5.50
Total: 154.90
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asmara
Kenya Airways (KQ) did not charge YQ/YR on their portion of an ex-USA award ticket booked in April 2013.

My flights are STL-DTW-CDG-NBO(KQ), return NBO-AMS(KQ)-DTW-STL.

No fuel surcharges on the KQ legs from CDG-NBO and NBO-AMS.

Detail
AY 10.00
CJ 9.20
FR 26.40
IZ 5.10
QX 35.50
RN 8.60
TU 40.00
VV 2.60
XA 5.00
XY 7.00
YC 5.50
Total: 154.90

Nice. I am warming up to DL. Just wish I could book DFW-BOM on KQ. Can anyone else confirm is there was no YQ?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Asmara
Thanks, updated the first post.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP can you update the first post to say SV does not collect YQ? I flew DMM-RUH-AMM with them and did not get charged. I don't know if they charge on long haul, but checking af.com shows they do not, so I think it is a safe bet to assume DL also will not.

Does anyone else have an update to this?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:11 am

OP can you update the first post to say SV does not collect YQ? I flew DMM-RUH-AMM with them and did not get charged. I don't know if they charge on long haul, but checking af.com shows they do not, so I think it is a safe bet to assume DL also will not.

Comment #6 in this blog posts says no fuel surcharges on Saudia:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...ndreds-people/
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe the OP here should be copied into a wiki so that everyone can help to keep it updated.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, the OP already reflects that SV does not charge YQ But thx for confirmation

Comment #6 in this blog posts says no fuel surcharges on Saudia:

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...ndreds-people/
Thx for confirmation

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the OP here should be copied into a wiki so that everyone can help to keep it updated.
I proposed making this a wiki when I first created the thread a couple years ago but DL moderator said no
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HoKo
Thanks, I'll add this to the OP

Thx for confirmation

I proposed making this a wiki when I first created the thread a couple years ago but DL moderator said no
Now you can make the wiki yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.