Delta Air Lines to New Zealand

Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Virgin Australia/V Australia/Virgin Blue/Pacific Blue/whateverthey'recallingthemselvesthisweek. You'd fly to Oz (SYD/MEL/BNE) and then connect on to AKL. I know there's service from SYD, pretty sure DJ flies MEL-AKL, but not sure about BNE-AKL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Also TN serves the route via LAX-PPT-AKL or the Asian carriers if willing to route through ICN or CAN
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Also TN serves the route via LAX-PPT-AKL or the Asian carriers if willing to route through ICN or CAN
DL definitely is a codeshare on AF flights from LAX-PPT, but unlikely for ATN flights.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
My dad did LAX-ICN-CHC, AKL-ICN-LAX Korean Air a few years and said it wasn't too bad. I would highly recommend going J or F; those are some long flights.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by VladQ
DL definitely is a codeshare on AF flights from LAX-PPT, but unlikely for ATN flights.
Right. It just only for codeshare from LAX-PPT-AKL. DL does not have a direct flight from LAX-AKL.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
DL to New Zealand

Looking to go to New Zealand in March 2013. I see DL doesn't fly there although I am SURE there must be a way to get there using DL or a partner. DL.dumb keeps giving me a "route not in service" message.

So, how do I get to NZ on Delta???????
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
How about KE?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Virgin Australia (DJ-coded) to AKL from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne...
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL/DM, Hilton Honors DM
I've done DL 17 to SYD and Virgin Aus SYD-AKL in the past (long lay over in SYD), but I'm not sure that is a legal connection/route currently. Probably a DL/Virgin option possible but would have to call DL to figure it out as delta.dumb doesn't schedule.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I'm not seeing any DL codesharing on VA/DJ trans-Tasman services, which would be the fastest route. If you're flying biz, you might as well book VA. If you're flying discount economy, you could book DL to SYD and then buy the trans-Tasman flight separately. I suspect that a DL agent could put this all on one ticket to give you protection in case of IROPS.

KE/CZ/MU/CI via Asia are also options, but they are far out of the way if you don't need to go that way.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Is your travel to commence on or after March 13th, 2013?
Some good news here and here. Your fastest/best routing may be through Hawaii, i.e. with DL/HA flying xxx-HNL-AKL-HNL-xxx.

Last edited by VladQ; Sep 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
The SYD-NZ routes can be VERY competitive and you might consider DL to SYD and just purchasing your NZ ticket seperately. There are frequently very low fares on DJ/VA and JQ (Jetstar). I've done this before and it was fine.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:45 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
The SYD-NZ routes can be VERY competitive and you might consider DL to SYD and just purchasing your NZ ticket seperately. There are frequently very low fares on DJ/VA and JQ (Jetstar). I've done this before and it was fine.
Thats what I did when going to NZ last year. It was a pretty easy connection and the transfers desk in the terminal was easy to find. Only downside is there is no arrivals lounge as the NZ lounge is for departing DL pax only.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
you could connect through ICN and take the KE non-stop or China Southern is another option through CAN
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
you could connect through ICN and take the KE non-stop or China Southern is another option through CAN
That requires 2 awards, no?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.