Delta Air Lines to New Zealand

Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jeelele
Delta does not offer one-way awards yet. Atleast to my knowledge unless things have changes in last few days.

Also a small correction, it is 125K in C using AA miles to Australia/New Zealand. However, this is 125K award does not allow connecting at HKG or other asian points while DL allows connection at ICN and others. So, 150K DL I think is a reasonable award (though nothing spectacular like AC or US).
DL puts one-way prices on the chart, but won't let you book a one-way at that price.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Also, keep in mind you can catch AF to PPT and link up with TN there.

IME, TN loads 1 F (which you can't get with DL miles), 2 C, and a bunch of Y awards on pretty much every flight, so if you book far enough ahead, not too hard to get.
You can not book TN F with AA miles either, TN no longer gives it to partners
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp

4. CZ via CAN (KE/DL/etc to CAN)

The last option is a new one that becomes available in the next few months.
service starts in April

LAX-CAN-AKL on CZ all the way.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Anything that gives nice sign up bonuses
TN booking question

I am preparing hopefully to use some miles to go to New Zealand over the next christmas holiday. I have miles on a few airlines, but one of the options is to use skypesos to fly on Air Tahiti Nui to Auckland. I called DL today to test some days within the 330 day window. I spoke with two agents and neither said that TN nor Malaysia had loaded their seats yet even though I was trying days like 325 days out. Is there anyone that has any idea when TN seats or other airline partner seats might be loaded into the system. KE seats did exist, but I would like to avoid the 100k miles for one way in Coach I was quoted.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by obkacey
I am preparing hopefully to use some miles to go to New Zealand over the next christmas holiday. I have miles on a few airlines, but one of the options is to use skypesos to fly on Air Tahiti Nui to Auckland. I called DL today to test some days within the 330 day window. I spoke with two agents and neither said that TN nor Malaysia had loaded their seats yet even though I was trying days like 325 days out. Is there anyone that has any idea when TN seats or other airline partner seats might be loaded into the system. KE seats did exist, but I would like to avoid the 100k miles for one way in Coach I was quoted.
too bad, you maybe misinformed by Agents again. Both TN and MH load their seats already. you just met an agent who has no clue on how to check Air Tahiti or MH

MH T class is economy award, anyone with any availability checking tools can see T class. Malaysia airlines doesn't like to release their economy award too far early, so it is possible there is no award space yet.

MH business award requires long sale booking only. No one can see MH business award inventory. booking must be requested and then MH respond with Yes or not

TN economy is W, business is I, agent can see real time availability in their system, but booking requires a little extra steps. Expertflyer can show seats for TN.

Last edited by yyliu88; Jan 18, 2011 at 7:34 am
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, LH FTL
Originally Posted by roti
You are correct, Erasmus -- 125,000 AA miles for roundtrip business on Qantas. My memory was foggy.

Which is still a lot better than 150,000 Delta miles for a connection through Tahiti or Korea. And Qantas flies to other New Zealand destinations.

Too bad about Virgin Blue. I guess I'll be leaving those Delta miles in my account to be devalued some more.
You might want to call Delta and ask. Virgin Blue does not fly to Auckland but Pacific blue does on a VAustralia code share.

The information you are being given about Virgin Blue flights is not completely accurate. I just booked a LAX-SYD-BNE for October returning SYD-LAX in November. The SYD-BNE leg is on Virgin Blue. I paid 150000 miles for business (Virgin Blue is Premium Economy) roundtrip.

I tried to book LAX-BNE direct but couldn't get it for 150000 miles - it was the agent who found the connecting flight for me.

I called VAustralia directly to confirm the booking (get the PNR) and reserve our seat assignments - so the booking is correct and one leg is on Virgin Blue - all paid with 150000 skymiles - no way to do that on DL metal!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Worldpilot
The information you are being given about Virgin Blue flights is not completely accurate. I just booked a LAX-SYD-BNE for October returning SYD-LAX in November. The SYD-BNE leg is on Virgin Blue. I paid 150000 miles for business (Virgin Blue is Premium Economy) roundtrip.
Nice! You got lucky, as I've asked several agents to do this, and all refused despite the codeshare, saying they couldn't book Virgin or Pacific Blue.

Although, I'm surprised to hear you had better luck with a SYD connection than the BNE non-stop: that one usually has pretty good availability.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Worldpilot
You might want to call Delta and ask. Virgin Blue does not fly to Auckland but Pacific blue does on a VAustralia code share.

I tried to book LAX-BNE direct but couldn't get it for 150000 miles - it was the agent who found the connecting flight for me.

I called VAustralia directly to confirm the booking (get the PNR) and reserve our seat assignments - so the booking is correct and one leg is on Virgin Blue - all paid with 150000 skymiles - no way to do that on DL metal!
Good to hear this. technically, you can not book V OZ flights, if the agent not to pay close attention, you can get it done.

this is similar to AF flight to Seychelles and Mauritius, both carry AF flight number, but operate by Air Seychelles and Air Mauritius, you can use DL miles on them.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Easiest and best way IMO is ( although not sure if ci is available yet). Was looking to do this routing myself eoy 2011.

LAX-BNE ( v aus)
BNE-AKL (ci)

CZ was supposed to fly CAN-MEL-AKL but it has recently been revised to CAN-AKL non-stop which means no v australia
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
KE will offer the best in flight experience, certainly if you are going to be in a premium cabin. If you are in a gateway city from the US to korea, you can make this a one stop journey. I find ke's connections to oz/NZ to work pretty well in icn. The incremental flying time for this slightly out of the way route isn't worse if you otherwise factor in having to make a double connection.

Check out TN's cabins on their website --- might make a dl md80 seem like a premium experience!!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by NYBanker
KE will offer the best in flight experience, certainly if you are going to be in a premium cabin. If you are in a gateway city from the US to korea, you can make this a one stop journey. I find ke's connections to oz/NZ to work pretty well in icn. The incremental flying time for this slightly out of the way route isn't worse if you otherwise factor in having to make a double connection.

Check out TN's cabins on their website --- might make a dl md80 seem like a premium experience!!

Completely agree about KE if flying Biz. Flew YYZ-ICN 2 months ago and the flights/service were fantastic. I would say from what I have seen V Australia's business class also looks quite good and their availability is much better than KE's (especially if you want to get 2 seats together).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Completely agree about KE if flying Biz. Flew YYZ-ICN 2 months ago and the flights/service were fantastic. I would say from what I have seen V Australia's business class also looks quite good and their availability is much better than KE's (especially if you want to get 2 seats together).
KE will be modern and with flat seats from most US gateways, but will be "old generation" j from icn to akl (though still far superior to TN).

I'd go with VS j over KE j easily. I haven't flown VS j but a number of my mates have and they quite like it. But, unless you're coming out of LAX, you've got a double connection AND a dubious ticket on the trans-tasman leg until code-share agreements are finalized from oz to akl. Presumably you will be flying domestic within NZ as well, adding more connections! (Note that they do not have airport security for domestic flights in NZ, making connections there a lot less stressful than here!)

Either way, New Zealand is worth the journey to get there.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Award Tickets to New Zealand

Hello all,
I'm wondering what the best way to get an award ticket to AUK would be. What carriers can I use? Isn't Virgin Australia an option? Just wondering what my best bet would be. Would like to use a carrier other than DL.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Among other potential redemption routings, there's KE ICN-AKL 5x weekly, CZ CAN-AKL 3x weekly, and MH KUL-AKL 3x weekly.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
DL to New Zealand?

Hey all

I see in the DL flight magazine that Auckland New Zealand is a destination with a codeshare. However, whenever I type it in to fly to AKL using DL.com, I get a message saying they don't service that city. ...? I know LAX has directs to Sydney, but who would the 'code share' be with to get me to NZ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.