Delta Air Lines to New Zealand

Old Jan 16, 2002, 7:38 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
GG, I had some "spotovers" too! Please don't fix.

GG doesn't point out that our "spotover" included a HNL-JHM(Kapalua)-HNL trip.

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide

[edited for addition]

[This message has been edited by LexPassenger (edited 01-16-2002).]
Old Jan 16, 2002, 8:49 pm
GG

That's because it was (another) separate ticket - and totally refundable, so if our plane had been late, the ticket wouldn't have gone wahooni.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:26 pm

Programs: Nada!
Skymiles to New Zealand

Here's a challenge for the members. How can I get a couple of free tickets to New Zealand? I have about 140K skymiles and 140K Membership reward points. I can not figure a way to pull it off. Any ideas?
Thanks for the help.

Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
You can use a Korean Air award to get from the US (I assume that's where you're starting) to Korea. That runs 60k for coach, 90k for biz, and 120k for First Class. Then you can use another Korean award from Korea to AKL for 60k for coach or 90k for biz.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is just an FYI quiz then SRQ Guy is right that Korean is about the only way to do it with SkyMiles. But considering that Air New Zealand has LAX-AKL fares ranging from $1100-$1600 pretty much year around, 120,000 miles (120,000 x .02 = $2400) seems like a pretty steep way to do it.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Maybe do an Around the World (RTW) ticket with NZ one of the stops?
Old Sep 11, 2002, 3:22 pm

Star Alliance awards from the US to Australia (and probably NZ) are only 60k for coach (and earlier this year United had a promotion in January, only 40k to Australia).

As pointed out currently there really is no economical (FF miles-wise) way on Skyteam to get to NZ. If you WERE going to use 120k miles (60k+60k) for Skyteam, I'd strongly consider the Round the World award, which for coach is only 20k more (140k), and plan a multi-stop, round the world trip.

With 140k MR points, I'd hold on and see what happens with the UA-US agreement. If the alliance is approved, then theoretically you could transfer your MR points to USAirways Dividend Miles, which at some point may be usable for a Star award.

Jeff
Old Sep 11, 2002, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For 140K MR, you can transfer to ANA (Star Alliance) then redeem it on UA ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 4:37 pm

Programs: Nada!
Thanks for the tips. I read on the AMEX board where you can transfer points to ANA or Mexicana and use them on Air New Zealand or United via the Star Alliance. And I will check into UA promotions.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

Maybe do an Around the World (RTW) ticket with NZ one of the stops?
</font>
Myself and others on this board have kicked that idea around a bit and it doesn't seem possible as there do not appear to be any eastbound Skyteam flights out of New Zealand and, consequently, no westbound flights in. (Search the skyteam and DL boards for more info.) Since you have to fly in one direction, doubling back thru ICN (Seoul) via KE would not work. If it is possible to pull this off, I would love to know. (I love New Zealand!) I've even looked for AF flights in and out of Tahiti and New Caledonia, but I can't find one that goes to New Zealand or Australia. Skyteam, you have my miles and my vacation plans are at your mercy!

yorock
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Darn... I am starting to this about a RTW trip using up some miles and ruled out Australia based on other threads and was hoping maybe NZ was still possible.

@#$% $#
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yorock:
Myself and others on this board have kicked that idea around a bit and it doesn't seem possible as there do not appear to be any eastbound Skyteam flights out of New Zealand and, consequently, no westbound flights in. (Search the skyteam and DL boards for more info.) Since you have to fly in one direction, doubling back thru ICN (Seoul) via KE would not work. If it is possible to pull this off, I would love to know. (I love New Zealand!) I've even looked for AF flights in and out of Tahiti and New Caledonia, but I can't find one that goes to New Zealand or Australia. Skyteam, you have my miles and my vacation plans are at your mercy!</font>
You are allowed to double back if it is the only legal connection. For instance, last year I ticketed JFK/ICN/SYD/ICN/FCO on KE as part of a Skyteam RTW.

After thinking about it, though, I ended up redepositing the ticket and booking a UA flight instead. Two days in transit was just too much.

[This message has been edited by Erasmus (edited 09-12-2002).]
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:44 pm

This is my first post; the questions about NZ prompted it. My family and I did travel to NZ (and Fiji) on a DL RTW ticket last year, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Itinerary was LAX-NRT-INC-Auckland-Nadi(i.e., Fiji)-INC-SIN-CDG-LHR/LGW-ATL-LAX. We used DL, KL and AF and flew business class. Actually KL upgraded us to FC because we flew on their old-style 747's. If you want more info, let me know and I can describe the trip a bit more.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 12:33 am

We'd love to hear about your trip! I'm thinking about NZ for next year. A separate forum exists a bit above this one called "trip reports", and that would the ideal place to post it. And, welcome to Flyertalk!

JP
Old Sep 13, 2002, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, tell us more about your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.