Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bsagator
I can get free access with my DL platinum AMEX? I thought it was $20.
Not the DL Plat credit card but the regular AmEx Plat or Centurion charge card and only when flying DL. IIRC lounge entry is $25 with the DL Plat credit card.

ADDED. The DL Reserve card also gives lounge access when flying DL.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by DLCorpGirl
- avidflyer: There were some recent changes to redemption levels at mid- and high-tier in some international locations, a few up, one down. No changes to low award levels. Not that you need my help, but you can find the updated charts here. It works like a pricing change, so legally, we’re not allowed to notify folks in advance. However, we’re obviously not prevented from sharing it with you once the change has been made. We'll certainly keep this in mind for future announcements.

Thanks again for flagging this for us, and for your patience as we work to resolve it.
Good morning DLCorpGirl,

I thank you for coming into the discussion and providing your input. At the same time, I am questioning your statement and Delta's standing with regards to changes on the award calendar.
Changes to award redemption rate are different from changes to pricing (e.g. ticket pricing) which are a real-time elements. These are actually changes to the enhancements and awards, which have fixed service, not fixed dollar value. Furthermore, the changes carry immediate and retroactive effect on the value of hard-earned miles. Those miles, I shall remind, are listed as revenue (when redeemed) and as obligations (when 'banked') by the clients. These are real items on the spreadsheet.
By lieu of example: If I will select a dry cleaner because their business provides me one free suit cleaning for every X paid cleanings, and when I am at X-1, the cleaner would inform me that they've changed the terms and would now require 2*X paid cleanings for one free service, I will be upset. It is a retroactive change to the T&C. If that would happen in your dry cleaner, you will be upset, and rightfully so.
You may have noticed that SEVERAL other hotels, airlines, and award program notify their T&C well in advance, and also in a way that allows simple understanding. Skymiles has been a pioneer in 'masking' the clients. Add the fact that the award calendar is broken to a level that no one can even provide a clear estimation of the lack of award inventory (which delta has been constantly getting the LOWEST grades in the industry for award availability) and you will clearly understand the reasons for which the clients are upset. Quite honestly, we have earned the right to be upset through Delta's service record of 'hard but right' decisions. Unless Delta has been purposely delaying enhancements to the calendar and technology due to other reasons (and certain job opening postings provide quite clear information about it), I do not see any investment in the 'client' experience, and you cannot justify the price changes. In fact, I question whether any of the upper management members (or even mid-level management) have to book their awards travel the same mediocre way we, the clients, have to. I wonder whether Richard, Ed, Michael, Stephan, Glen, Richard, Paul, Andrea, Holden, and Ned seat in a room and have Theresa walk them through booking award tickets on delta.com. [I took the list from here http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&cat=40] . If so, I would like to see the video of their facial expressions. I would like each of them to be allowed to book their tickets only by themselves and only through delta.com

To summarize, I greatly appreciate the fact you have elected to step in and point out that the error is known and will be corrected. That said, you have not convinced me that the changes in the award calendar are equal to changes of pricing. This was not apples to apples comparison. Sadly- the only award inventory that seems to increase as a result of the enhancements in the skymiles program over the last year is in the non-revenue space-available category.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLroads
Good morning DLCorpGirl,

I thank you for coming into the discussion and providing your input. At the same time, I am questioning your statement and Delta's standing with regards to changes on the award calendar.
Changes to award redemption rate are different from changes to pricing (e.g. ticket pricing) which are a real-time elements. These are actually changes to the enhancements and awards, which have fixed service, not fixed dollar value. Furthermore, the changes carry immediate and retroactive effect on the value of hard-earned miles. Those miles, I shall remind, are listed as revenue (when redeemed) and as obligations (when 'banked') by the clients. These are real items on the spreadsheet.
By lieu of example: If I will select a dry cleaner because their business provides me one free suit cleaning for every X paid cleanings, and when I am at X-1, the cleaner would inform me that they've changed the terms and would now require 2*X paid cleanings for one free service, I will be upset. It is a retroactive change to the T&C. If that would happen in your dry cleaner, you will be upset, and rightfully so.
You may have noticed that SEVERAL other hotels, airlines, and award program notify their T&C well in advance, and also in a way that allows simple understanding. Skymiles has been a pioneer in 'masking' the clients. Add the fact that the award calendar is broken to a level that no one can even provide a clear estimation of the lack of award inventory (which delta has been constantly getting the LOWEST grades in the industry for award availability) and you will clearly understand the reasons for which the clients are upset. Quite honestly, we have earned the right to be upset through Delta's service record of 'hard but right' decisions. Unless Delta has been purposely delaying enhancements to the calendar and technology due to other reasons (and certain job opening postings provide quite clear information about it), I do not see any investment in the 'client' experience, and you cannot justify the price changes. In fact, I question whether any of the upper management members (or even mid-level management) have to book their awards travel the same mediocre way we, the clients, have to. I wonder whether Richard, Ed, Michael, Stephan, Glen, Richard, Paul, Andrea, Holden, and Ned seat in a room and have Theresa walk them through booking award tickets on delta.com. [I took the list from here http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&cat=40] . If so, I would like to see the video of their facial expressions. I would like each of them to be allowed to book their tickets only by themselves and only through delta.com

To summarize, I greatly appreciate the fact you have elected to step in and point out that the error is known and will be corrected. That said, you have not convinced me that the changes in the award calendar are equal to changes of pricing. This was not apples to apples comparison. Sadly- the only award inventory that seems to increase as a result of the enhancements in the skymiles program over the last year is in the non-revenue space-available category.
She's not your lover, man.....she is the spokesperson for a $40+ Billion corporation. These arguments over semantics in the effort to get an "a ha, gotcha" just make FT look like a joke to these people. These are successful people at the TOP of their game. I seriously doubt any of them has the time to debate wording or intent.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
On the phone right now with a Delta agent on an unrelated topic. I am having the age-old problem of "upgrade eligible" vs "upgrade requested"... Anyway, the agent told me that they are working on a new system that will be implemented January 1, 2013 that will replace the current system. Seems interesting in light of what we've seen in this thread.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:37 am

The ONLY people that could possibly be upset with a new system are those that won't qualify under the new system. If your flying won't qualify you as "elite" under a revenue system, what makes you think your flying is elite now? It is a marketing program that is CLEARLY broken. I say this in hopes of a new system aligning fare buckets with RSM for you short-segment flyers.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bubbashow
. . . . . just make FT look like a joke to these people.
Hmmmm . . . .

Just wondering why you spend so much of your valuable time and angst on a joke?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I heard that Delta employees can buy deeply discounted fares that earn MQM's and are upgrade eligible. I am curious if they earn 100% MQM's.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Hmmmm . . . .

Just wondering why you spend so much of your valuable time and angst on a joke?
FT protocol. When a logical argument is made that conflicts with yours, personally attack the poster.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I heard that Delta employees can buy deeply discounted fares that earn MQM's and are upgrade eligible. I am curious if they earn 100% MQM's.
You "heard" incorrectly. "FLY CONFIRMED FOR EVEN LESS" is a program that allows employees the ability to buy a confirmed coach seat for a set discount. These fares are not upgrade eligible.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
FT protocol. When a logical argument is made that conflicts with yours, personally attack the poster.
If you think my post was an attack against you, you clearly don't know the meaning of the word attack! It was simply an observation.

I 1000% defend your right to post your thoughts, and even agree with a VERY small percentage of them, but I will never attack you for voicing your ideas.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You "heard" incorrectly. "FLY CONFIRMED FOR EVEN LESS" is a program that allows employees the ability to buy a confirmed coach seat for a set discount. These fares are not upgrade eligible.
Do they earn MQMs? Nonrev tickets normally do not.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:50 am

SkyMiles mileage credit is not permitted.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since one the big perks of the Reserve card is (slightly) higher upgrade priority, it doesn't make sense to pay the $450 fee unless you're eligible for upgrades regularly, which means high tier elite status.
While I don't have the Am Ex delta reserve card, I am considering getting one even though I am a SC member because I think the 30K mqm's a year is a big benefit. I am just trying to decide if it's worth paying $300 a year more for over the Delta Platnium Am Ex just for the extra 10K miles since that is the only benefit I will realize from the card and not to mention I am losing the earning opportunity on the extra $10K that will go on the reserve card that could be put on a credit card offering me a better rewards earning.

On lounge overcrowding, I think Am Ex entrance contributes to it. I flew out of LAX on Sunday and the SC was crowded and a zoo as usual. I had plenty of time (my flight was at 1 and a friend dropped me off and I tried to get on the 11:20 a.m. flight and wasn't able to get on it) to kill so went over to the t-6 Alaska club. The food offerings were a lot better and the lounge wasn't crowded at all. Had no problems finding desk space with an outlet.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do they earn MQMs? Nonrev tickets normally do not.
"Fly confirmed for less" can at this time, but the discount has always been pretty negligible (and if we can non rev on it, well...) Fly confirmed for even less does not earn mileage at all, and it's pretty comparable to a hotwire ticket, but 'we' can see the route ahead of time.

Non rev tickets do not earn any miles....
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking about your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.