Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by babeavs13
The fact that they didn't update FT on the changes does bug me but from what I can tell they didn't update anyone of these changes in advance. Really seems very sneaky to me and I suspect as other have said up thread, this is a test to see what else they can get away with. Just a bad way to do business but they know that a large majority of their customers will likely not even notice.
+1

Not sure it's any different than what they do with ticket prices every chance they gt though. They don't typically announce new fees/increases or reductions in availability of low-fare classes. Guess the relentless demand for paid tickets in the face of reduced capacity and price increases has emboldened the SkyMiles team to try it too.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Brings back memories. Perhaps we will yet hear from DL management: "Hopefully, this helps to clarify some of your questions. This policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one.
(Thanks for the link.)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Brings back memories. Perhaps we will yet hear from DL management: "Hopefully, this helps to clarify some of your questions. This policy change was not an easy decision but it was the right one."

(Thanks for the link.)
Originally Posted by avidflyer
In reading over the quote, it now occurs to me that it wasn't our questions that needed clarifying. It was DL management's answers that needed clarifying.

But, in this case, how do you clarify a silence?

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Low didn't change, it's medium that's been reported to go up. The old chart has been posted up-thread (albeit not terribly well-formatted), making it pretty clear that there are changes outside of the low band.
DL being DL, expect the not-low "low" level mileage prices to be increased too, as the "mid" and "high" changes aren't all they have considered.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL being DL, expect the not-low "low" level mileage prices to be increased too, as the "mid" and "high" changes aren't all they have considered.
I don't know, maybe they are realizing that MANY frequent flyers will only redeem for low-tier awards. Perhaps they want to position mid-tier as a viable alternative, rather than costing an arm, leg, soul, and firstborn.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcline414
I don't know, maybe they are realizing that MANY frequent flyers will only redeem for low-tier awards. Perhaps they want to position mid-tier as a viable alternative, rather than costing an arm, leg, soul, and firstborn.
That first sentence above certainly isn't it -- they knew it already, well before 2012.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That first sentence above certainly isn't it -- they knew it already, well before 2012.
Knowing something and acting on said knowledge are completely different things.

Point in case: Delta KNOWS that the award calendar is broken, but they have not ACTED on this knowledge.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I am wondering (and it is not sarcasm) about the current definition of 'communication' at Delta's communication and media group these days.

What kind of changes are included in the job description's reporting duties?
What are considered communication channels for reporting purposes?
What are the 'pre-change' vs. 'post-change' announcement procedures?
Who determines what change would be 'pre-reported' vs. post reported?

Clearly, I followed your proposals here...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19250939-post335.html
and it seems that I just embarrassed myself in, yet again, being unaware of changes, and being caught 'off guard'. Is that the goal is the way 'communication' addresses the client these days?
It's not a Delta in flyertalk issue. It is a delta in communication to clients issues. Who is accountable at Delta for this? (I actually do want to talk to that person, ideally before other cynical posts would take over the discussion)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcline414
Knowing something and acting on said knowledge are completely different things.

Point in case: Delta KNOWS that the award calendar is broken, but they have not ACTED on this knowledge.
They have acted on the knowledge about the award calendar's history of being broken.

Some acts are acts of willful omission.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:30 pm

I think everyone (even DL) can agree that notification should be provided for a change like this. I have to believe that someone just dropped the ball/thought someone else was taking care of notifying customers.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nfg05
I think everyone (even DL) can agree that notification should be provided for a change like this. I have to believe that someone just dropped the ball/thought someone else was taking care of notifying customers.
There were no external notifications planned from what I'm told.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:57 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Shameful, but sadly in character these days.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by nfg05
You all seem to be forgetting the golden rule that DL (and every single other carrier) imposes on its frequent flyer program:

Program Changes and Termination
Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice.

Excerpt from: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ules/index.jsp

You've been :-:enhanced:-: and DL has absolutely no legal requirement to notify any of us/you that they changed the award mileage levels.

You can argue "why" but you won't get an answer to it straight from DL. It's their choice to piss off customers by not announcing the changes and then letting customers stew about it on community boards.

You also have to wonder why DL doesn't pre-announce these changes. If they want to get more miles off the books for each ticket booked why not announce it a month in advance? I'm willing to bet you'd find a lot of tickets booked in that 30 day ramp up period as everyone buys their tickets "on sale".

-RM
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You've been :-:enhanced:-: and DL has absolutely no legal requirement to notify any of us/you that they changed the award mileage levels.
Cynical and painful, but true, I guess (see below)

You can argue "why" but you won't get an answer to it straight from DL. It's their choice to piss off customers by not announcing the changes and then letting customers stew about it on community boards.
Well, in that case, their media group does not do their job properly (Yes, I have some direct questions here). Let me ask again -- if we follow the official recommendations with regards to communication and updates from Delta, how come we fell short of receiving a message of this change? Isn't that a definition of someone in the media group falling short on their duties? If they were asked not to communicate the changes, it means that someone who is responsible for their guidelines fell short on customer orientation. Either way, I think it is fair that we get an explanation from the Delta ambassadors' to the community. The green tag is given for communication purposes.

You also have to wonder why DL doesn't pre-announce these changes. If they want to get more miles off the books for each ticket booked why not announce it a month in advance? I'm willing to bet you'd find a lot of tickets booked in that 30 day ramp up period as everyone buys their tickets "on sale".
Well, there are two sides to this apple, and in both Delta has some serious questions to answer: First- delta's claim (and SEC rules as well comply) that booking trips using miles is actually very GOOD for their books. It deletes obligations, and it is listed as revenue. In such case, encouraging people to book is a good thing to do. So, even if more people would find their way through the broken award calendar and book a ticket, it should not be a problem. Second- no company of such size rise and fall on a point-based quarter goal. I find it hard to believe that it would help Delta burn more miles on the short run. If anything, I believe that many (myself included) keep their 'bookings' on a close-watch and will be more careful in making decisions about their revenue ($$$ and miles) bookings.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I know people hate blogs on FT, but ThePointsGuy had a great summary and rant about this. I won't link to it, but you can find it on its own post today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.