Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me or did some award levels recently change?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by avidflyer
this was/is wrong and I share his disdain for the level of pandering we are seeing from our FT interactions w/DL. I do NOT want Delta to go away from FT but I do want them to at least acknowledge (through honesty) that we are not the typical customer and the typical lines do not go over well here.

Delta..THIS IS SO FREAKING EASY!
I have said in the past . . . .

Imagine how much GOOD WILL would be generated, vs angst and distrust, if they would simply be straight forward and honest with their customers!! . . . . Compare that to what we get, which is borderline dishonest, and sneaky at best. Don't they think that good will translates into $$$$$???
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Honestly Vuelos has always spoke the truth on either side IMO. Some draw conclusions on his positions from it but my take is he only gets animated about things he thinks are wrong...this was/is wrong and I share his disdain for the level of pandering we are seeing from our FT interactions w/DL. I do NOT want Delta to go away from FT but I do want them to at least acknowledge (through honesty) that we are not the typical customer and the typical lines do not go over well here.

Delta..THIS IS SO FREAKING EASY!
You sir hit the nail on the head.... we're a savvy customer. As a friend who works in marketing at DL told me this weekend "Our most valuable customers don't complain often".

I've got NO issue with them changing mileage requirements because that's their prerogative but the manner in which they communicate it is what chaffs my ....

off topic...

I've been a strong Delta supporter for years and would still consider myself (along with my medallion parents) loyal but that loyalty only goes so far...

I guess I have my "lifetime complimentary silver status" (and same w/AA) for the years to come but the changes suggested here are making me rethink ever hitting 2MM with Delta... and that's something I should easily be able to do by the time I turn 35...

back on topic...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Vuelos
I guess I have my "lifetime complimentary silver status" (and same w/AA) for the years to come but the changes suggested here are making me rethink ever hitting 2MM with Delta...
I'm in a similar situation, in that, I really want to him 2MM before my travel slows down substantially. At my current rate of travel, I'm probably right around 5 more years to hit it, including Amex MQMs. If they go to 25% MQMs on lower fares - - all I can say is - - YIKES! I'm not really sure what I'll do!

. . . . Don't forget that MM isn't guaranteed "lifetime" status, anymore.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by davetravels
. . . . Don't forget that MM isn't guaranteed "lifetime" status, anymore.
Oh right, I meant "Annually Renewing Complimentary" Silver Medallion.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Vuelos and Dave, do you two use awards to travel to Intl destinations? If so may i ask what exactly keeps you at DL considering the numerous partners with YQ?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
After all, miles aren't really ours, right? Delta owns the accounts. And the miles are really just discounts (that's been the position of tax authorities, hasn't it?). Seems a little different than cash fares, no?
Other airlines own the accounts, as do hotel programs with respect to their frequent sleeper points. DL is not unique in this regard.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vuelos
You sir hit the nail on the head.... we're a savvy customer. As a friend who works in marketing at DL told me this weekend "Our most valuable customers don't complain often".

I've got NO issue with them changing mileage requirements because that's their prerogative but the manner in which they communicate it is what chaffs my ....

off topic...

I've been a strong Delta supporter for years and would still consider myself (along with my medallion parents) loyal but that loyalty only goes so far...

I guess I have my "lifetime complimentary silver status" (and same w/AA) for the years to come but the changes suggested here are making me rethink ever hitting 2MM with Delta... and that's something I should easily be able to do by the time I turn 35...

back on topic...
You're MM already and don't project hitting 2MM before age 35? You're already slowing down in your old age!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Vuelos and Dave, do you two use awards to travel to Intl destinations? If so may i ask what exactly keeps you at DL considering the numerous partners with YQ?
Do you post about anything other than YQ? I know some are so dead set against the idea of paying fuel surcharges on award tickets, but I really don't think it's as huge of a deal as you seem to make it out to be. SkyMiles accrue at ridiculous rates, and so I honestly don't mind paying $250 in fuel surcharges on OMA-AKL//HKG-OMA award ticket that's all in F/J save one domestic segment. Compared to AA's major TATL partner and their YQ (and virtually non-existent AA TATL award space), none of DL's partners have YQ that even comes close with the possible exception of VA.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:53 pm

I'm the wrong person to ask, as I don't book many award trips (1 or 2 a year), and when I do, so far, I haven't had to pay any YQs.

I was reading here that KE is charging YQs now. I had a trip to NRT & BKK in April that included a segment in J on KE from LAX/NRT, but I think whatever KE is charging hadn't been implemented yet. I already have a 2013 NRT/BKK award trip booked, but it's all in J on DL.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:14 pm

Domestic travel or ex-US originations w/o YQ
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're MM already and don't project hitting 2MM before age 35? You're already slowing down in your old age!
I figure 10 years for 1MM shouldn't be that hard.

I'm the wrong person to ask, as I don't book many award trips (1 or 2 a year), and when I do, so far, I haven't had to pay any YQs.

I was reading here that KE is charging YQs now. I had a trip to NRT & BKK in April that included a segment in J on KE from LAX/NRT, but I think whatever KE is charging hadn't been implemented yet. I already have a 2013 NRT/BKK award trip booked, but it's all in J on DL.
Let me put it this way... if you are smart and flexible it shouldn't be that hard to find saver award inventory... I almost never redeem for anything else.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Do you post about anything other than YQ? I know some are so dead set against the idea of paying fuel surcharges on award tickets, but I really don't think it's as huge of a deal as you seem to make it out to be. SkyMiles accrue at ridiculous rates, and so I honestly don't mind paying $250 in fuel surcharges on OMA-AKL//HKG-OMA award ticket that's all in F/J save one domestic segment. Compared to AA's major TATL partner and their YQ (and virtually non-existent AA TATL award space), none of DL's partners have YQ that even comes close with the possible exception of VA.
I don't mind paying cash+mile, but calling it "fuel surcharge" is simply deceptive. It's a partner award, DL doesn't burn a single drop of fuel, yet it charges me a "fuel surcharge"?

Just call it cash+mile award, and in the award chart, list the amount of miles and cash needed for an award. I wouldn't have any problem with that.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I guess DL knows it can depend on customers like you who will rationalize every sneaky little thing they pull. There is such a vast ocean of difference between ST and 1W/Star, that unless someone is based in an ST hub, I simply cannot fathom why someone would even consider DL after spending time on FT>
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Can anyone track the changes to flights originating in Asia? Another sneaky inflation of miles?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have said in the past . . . .

Imagine how much GOOD WILL would be generated, vs angst and distrust, if they would simply be straight forward and honest with their customers!! . . . . Compare that to what we get, which is borderline dishonest, and sneaky at best. Don't they think that good will translates into $$$$$???
That's the big difference between the original NW and DL mindsets. I stuck with NW through thick and thin because they treated me right. Not the best planes, not the best FAs, but as a top tier elite they took care of you.

DL bean counters came in and decided that they could turn everything into a revenue stream. They looked at some stats, and decided that giving free changes to top tier members was costing them tens or hundreds of millions in change fees.

I know in my case, as a plat, I canceled a bunch of awards because of the NW promotion that gave you a bunch of points for each award trip you booked. Yes, I gamed the system to get 50k miles. I booked and canceled every award online, and canceled way in advance, so no seats were lost.

Almost every bad change that's happened in the last 4-5 years has been sprung on us. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Luckily I got rid of 90% of my miles. I still have 300k, I keep trying to use at low levels. It's just not easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.