Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
FA Prohibits Recline

Hi all,

I was on a flight from DTW-LAS today (Morning). After we reached a crusing altitude, I reclined in my seat. The woman behind me got very upset and complained to the FA who told me I have to bring my seat forward. She said that I could not recline during the flight because it made the woman uncomfortable because she couldn't work her 22 inch laptop that took up half the seat.

Needless to say I moved to coach so I could find a seat that I was permitted to recline in.

Before anyone says I was unable to find anything related to recline in the CoC and I did pay for my recline privileges.

Anyone else experience this?

--mbwmbw
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi all,

I was on a flight from DTW-LAS today (Morning). After we reached a crusing altitude, I reclined in my seat. The woman behind me got very upset and complained to the FA who told me I have to bring my seat forward. She said that I could not recline during the flight because it made the woman uncomfortable because she couldn't work her 22 inch laptop that took up half the seat.

Needless to say I moved to coach so I could find a seat that I was permitted to recline in.

Before anyone says I was unable to find anything related to recline in the CoC and I did pay for my recline privileges.

Anyone else experience this?

--mbwmbw
Twenty two inch laptop? I think you should have been allowed to recline. I wouldn't mind little larger pitch, but I have never had a serious problem in First when the pax in front of me reclined.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Twenty two inch laptop? I think you should have been allowed to recline. I wouldn't mind little larger pitch, but I have never had a serious problem in First when the pax in front of me reclined.

I was being factitious with the size of her laptop although it was massive.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Was the individual in front of you reclining? If not, perhaps you could have swapped seats with the woman with the laptop.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:25 pm

If the airline decides that passengers can not recline, then they should remove the button.

Surely reclining on someone in economy is a much bigger inconvenience than to someone in first.

I wonder if there is more to the story here . . . otherwise it is odd of the FA. I would complain.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Was the individual in front of you reclining? If not, perhaps you could have swapped seats with the woman with the laptop.
I didn't even think to do that. The person in front of me was reclining though but def a good thought for future reference.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
If the airline decides that passengers can not recline, then they should remove the button.

Surely reclining on someone in economy is a much bigger inconvenience than to someone in first.

I wonder if there is more to the story here . . . otherwise it is odd of the FA. I would complain.
Will,

Already sent in a complaint on the plane. I told her when I was getting off that in the 200,000 miles I've flown this year I've never had a FA tell me I couldn't recline because the PAX behind was entitled to have room for her computer. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Edit: On second thoughts, I wonder if she was upset about the KM tags??
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:39 pm

I do appreciate it when I'm in Y and FAs ask passengers to bring their seatbacks up during meal service. Foregn airlines do this much more often however.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:43 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. How does this FA justify inconveniencing you to accommodate someone else (especially someone who has unrealistic expectations about public transportation)? As a FA for Virgin America, I have been put in the exact same situation, in which a guest asked me to tell another guest not to recline. I told her that while I understood that the seats are tight and she wanted to maximize space, the reclining guest had every right to recline and I would not ask them to put their seat upright. She said, "How am I supposed to get any work done if I can't use my laptop?" and then I said, "How is the gentleman in front of you supposed to get sleep if I tell him not to recline?" I told her that it's a small area and we all need to work together. Sometimes I question the judgement calls of FA's when I hear stories like this - especially someone who, I assume, has been doing this job much longer than I have. If I were you, I would contact that airline and complain. Just my two cents ^
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by mbwmbw

I was being factitious with the size of her laptop although it was massive.
Did it have wheels?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDSEA
I do appreciate it when I'm in Y and FAs ask passengers to bring their seatbacks up during meal service. Foregn airlines do this much more often however.
Yes - no problem doing that, especially in Y or smaller regional jets where you need the seat up to eat.

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. How does this FA justify inconveniencing you to accommodate someone else (especially someone who has unrealistic expectations about public transportation)? As a FA for Virgin America, I have been put in the exact same situation, in which a guest asked me to tell another guest not to recline. I told her that while I understood that the seats are tight and she wanted to maximize space, the reclining guest had every right to recline and I would not ask them to put their seat upright. She said, "How am I supposed to get any work done if I can't use my laptop?" and then I said, "How is the gentleman in front of you supposed to get sleep if I tell him not to recline?" I told her that it's a small area and we all need to work together. Sometimes I question the judgement calls of FA's when I hear stories like this - especially someone who, I assume, has been doing this job much longer than I have. If I were you, I would contact that airline and complain. Just my two cents ^
^ Thanks. I don't know what this FA's deal was. She wasn't that rude about it but the PAX behind me was rude saying STOP RECLINING YOU WILL HIT MY LAPTOP.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did it have wheels?
Hahahaha - No but that would have been epic.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I think you should have been allowed to recline. I wouldn't mind little larger pitch, but I have never had a serious problem in First when the pax in front of me reclined.
I was in F (2A) on an ERJ-175 last night and the person in front of me reclined fully the second the wheels left the ground. I was shocked that the seat firmly hit my knees and that the pitch was so tight that a reclined seat left little to no legroom... especially since I wasn't expecting the recline until 10k feet! I was not using a laptop or the tray table, but could certainly see where that would have been all but impossible with the seat fully reclined.

Of course, the person in front of me in 1A had the right to recline, so I wasn't about to complain to him or the FA, and don't think he should have been forced to sit upright the entire flight.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hopefully you get compensation for this. I also hope you got the FA's name and reported it along with the complaint. You have every right to recline to the maximum extent the seat allows. I would not have put the seat up.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
This is all about why I like a bulkhead seat; no one to recline into you. Easier then to get up and go to the restroom. Ever notice that even in first class you cannot stand up straight especially when reclined. Thank good I am not 6'3".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.