Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jzumrick
This is all about why I like a bulkhead seat; no one to recline into you.
Except the OP was the recliner, not the reclinee. Perhaps the FA should have asked someone in the bulkhead to switch. If they all say no, then the laptop user is SOL.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
If the airline decides that passengers can not recline, then they should remove the button.
Maybe they should monetize it - the revenue could be shared with the reclinee.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Was it Kelly Osbourne in the seat behind you? She claimed to have gotten a black eye on a DL flight recently because the pax in front of her reclined & bumped into her head. :-:

Original story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...black-eye.html

FT discussion of same:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...different.html
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I guess it's better that the OP's "victim" called for the FA instead of kicking the seat and pulling the OP's hair. I've experienced that when another passenger objected by my reclining on a 6 am flight in FC.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I guess it's better that the OP's "victim" called for the FA instead of kicking the seat and pulling the OP's hair. I've experienced that when another passenger objected by my reclining on a 6 am flight in FC.
This was an alleged adult? I hope you reported this to the FA?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, it was an adult. When he started feeling around my leg to hit the unrecline button for me after I was asleep, I threatened to have the cops arrest him for assault when we landed.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
OP, just so I understand: you've already flown 200,000 miles this year (which, at that rate, will lead to about 375,000 miles by December 31, 2012) and you switched from first class to coach so you could recline your seat? Is that correct?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
OP, just so I understand: you've already flown 200,000 miles this year (which, at that rate, will lead to about 375,000 miles by December 31, 2012) and you switched from first class to coach so you could recline your seat? Is that correct?
Yes. I offered the guy in first row aisle (left side) my first class seat for his economy confort seat after asking the person behind him if he minded if I reclined. (Luckily it was his wife and he was happy to be in first so ) Flew 4 hours in coach just so I could get a bit of sleep.

Just for some information I'm 6'3" but very slim so I just need the legroom and a bit of recline. I had to pay for my 2 beers in coach which I did willingly and I didn't get the breakfast because I switched (which again I knew would happen) but I really just wanted to have a slight angle of recline so I could rest.

Edit: Don't know if I'll hit 350 -- have to see if the fares allow for it . I wil be at 230 by end of August.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Hopefully you get compensation for this. I also hope you got the FA's name and reported it along with the complaint. You have every right to recline to the maximum extent the seat allows. I would not have put the seat up.
^
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Yes, it was an adult. When he started feeling around my leg to hit the unrecline button for me after I was asleep, I threatened to have the cops arrest him for assault when we landed.
MSP - Not that this makes the story any different but are you female? If so this guy obviously has some ethical issues as well (or perhaps really just wanted to touch your leg). Either way I am glad you stuck to your guns. Sadly I couldn't in this circumstance b/c it came from the FA :-/.

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Was it Kelly Osbourne in the seat behind you? She claimed to have gotten a black eye on a DL flight recently because the pax in front of her reclined & bumped into her head. :-:

Original story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...black-eye.html

FT discussion of same:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...different.html
^ Srsly? Haha. Wow. Is this really true? I think she told me that I almost "destroyed" her laptop because of my recline.

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
Maybe they should monetize it - the revenue could be shared with the reclinee.
Hahaha -- RMI - Recliner Monetization Initiative

Originally Posted by tkey75
Except the OP was the recliner, not the reclinee. Perhaps the FA should have asked someone in the bulkhead to switch. If they all say no, then the laptop user is SOL.

^ Again I didn't even think to suggest this. If/when this issue ever comes up again I will recommend that resolution. Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Hopefully you get compensation for this. I also hope you got the FA's name and reported it along with the complaint. You have every right to recline to the maximum extent the seat allows. I would not have put the seat up.
If I didn't put the seat up I am sure I could have been charged w/ disobeying a member of the flight crew. If it was just the PAX complaining I would have suggested they go sit in coach. My issue is that the FA got involved.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:32 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Yes. I offered the guy in first row aisle (left side) my first class seat for his economy confort seat after asking the person behind him if he minded if I reclined. (Luckily it was his wife and he was happy to be in first so )

Just for some information I'm 6'3" but very slim so I just need the legroom and a bit of recline. I had to pay for my 2 beers in coach.
why did you have to pay for beers in an EC seat?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tomphot
why did you have to pay for beers in an EC seat?
Domestic EC = no free beer/wine/spirits.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...my_comfort.jsp
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:36 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Domestic EC = no free beer/wine/spirits.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...my_comfort.jsp
Got it, haven't had the pleasure yet.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
I always have my seat up during meal service, even when I don't. I have noticed lately that when I do recline people often get frustrated and pull and tug at the seat a bit, especially when they get up to use the restroom. It didn't seem like that started until recently, in the past year or so. Flight rage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.