Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DL2SXM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1467479-dl-747-fleet-operation.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is that ready? Who is the first? Is that A330-300?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I wish they would do it for domestic 767. I have a couple of JFK-SLC flghts in a couple of weeks. 5 hrs with no WiFi
All of the domestic configured mainline aircraft, including the 767s, have wifi. Delta must be using an international 767 on that route.

In exchange for no wifi, those international aircraft have lie flat seats and free movies on the PTVs. Seems like a good trade off to me.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

yes it has lie flat but that does me no good on a 7am flight.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:32 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
yes it has lie flat but that does me no good on a 7am flight.
Always cracks me up when FTer's don't understand that there are people who actually travel for business and would trade a lie flat for an EC seat so long as the plane has WiFi.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by AirTheory
Always cracks me up when FTer's don't understand that there are people who actually travel for business and would trade a lie flat for an EC seat so long as the plane has WiFi.
Hey now. Almost all of my travel is for business yet I rarely use wifi. Some of us business travelers appreciate some unconnected downtime. Personally, I'd rather have a comfortable F seat with no wifi. The email can wait until I land.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I wish they would do it for domestic 767. I have a couple of JFK-SLC flghts in a couple of weeks. 5 hrs with no WiFi
Delta has wifi on the domestic configured 767s
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Not on my flight they do not.

DELTA WIFI PASS
Stay connected with Gogo®. Get 24 hours of unlimited Internet on all Wi-Fi equipped Delta Flights. Details.
JFK ► SLC NOT AVAILABLE
SLC ► BOI $14.00(USD)

BOI ► SLC $14.00(USD)

SLC ► JFK NOT AVAILABLE
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:22 pm

Not on my flight they do not.

DELTA WIFI PASS
Stay connected with Gogo®. Get 24 hours of unlimited Internet on all Wi-Fi equipped Delta Flights. Details.
JFK ► SLC NOT AVAILABLE
SLC ► BOI $14.00(USD)

BOI ► SLC $14.00(USD)

SLC ► JFK NOT AVAILABLE
Like I said before, you're on a domestic flight using an international configured aircraft. Every domestic configured 767 has wifi. There are only a handful of domestic flights that don't have wifi anymore and they're the ones using international aircraft. ATL-LAX flights on the A330 or 777 are the same. It's a small consolation if you need wifi on your flight but DLmedalliongold is correct.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
A small point, but if this is so hard one wonders why not just go with the domestic install on the international planes? They are now used for a whole set of important domestic routes. And on flights from ATL, you are over the 48 states for 3+ hours headed for Europe and 4+ hours headed to Asia.

Reception also seems pretty good well beyond US borders, I recently was using Go-go while over Pachuca, Mexico, very close to MEX -- that was unusual but it always works for a distance well south of the border.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Justin026
A small point, but if this is so hard one wonders why not just go with the domestic install on the international planes? They are now used for a whole set of important domestic routes. And on flights from ATL, you are over the 48 states for 3+ hours headed for Europe and 4+ hours headed to Asia.

Reception also seems pretty good well beyond US borders, I recently was using Go-go while over Pachuca, Mexico, very close to MEX -- that was unusual but it always works for a distance well south of the border.
The GoGo equipment is quite expensive and not all international planes are used for domestic routes. For this reason alone, it would be rather cost prohibitive. Add in the additional cost of having to install completely different equipment for the international wifi that is supposedly coming online this year and you've got double the cost, double the weight, double the time of the aircraft out of commission for installation, etc. I don't see this being a reasonable option for DL or GoGo.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:24 pm

It appears that STCs has been granted by FAA, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...ut-next-month/
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dalat767
It appears that STCs has been granted by FAA, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...ut-next-month/
Unfortunate that with the level of interest in this topic that we get more of an update from another website than from the DL reps who have posted in this thread. Figured they would come back and share once better information and a more definitive timeline had been determined.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: dl platinum
Any ideas what birds will be first? Some think 330 I'd like to see 747.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:07 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by evanr81
Any ideas what birds will be first? Some think 330 I'd like to see 747.
The 747 fleet is first! Ship 6305 and 6308 are flying and in test mode. I'll be on the acceptance flight from JFK-TLV on 3/3.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:10 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
All 16 domestic 767-300s are equipped with the Gogo ATG system.

19 of 22 767-300ERs (the 76Z fleet with 26 BE seats) are equipped with Gogo ATG-4. This is an interim solution as we work toward certifying and installing the satellite system across the international fleet.

Last edited by Chris_DeltaCustExp; Feb 25, 2014 at 2:13 pm Reason: additional detail

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.