Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DL2SXM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1467479-dl-747-fleet-operation.html
Print Wikipost

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Also, Chris_DLCustExp recently commented here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ce-update.html

As it is still December 2012, I don't think we'll see updates for at least a month.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:01 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
In the press release (http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1651), it says Gogo will be used...
But GoGo is a terrestrial service (i.e. ground based receivers/transmitters). There is no way to avoid a satellite service (like onAir used by SQ, EK, etc) over the oceans.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VladQ
But GoGo is a terrestrial service (i.e. ground based receivers/transmitters). There is no way to avoid a satellite service (like onAir used by SQ, EK, etc) over the oceans.
Perhaps they'll contract out to one of the satellite providers?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Perhaps they'll contract out to one of the satellite providers?
Apparently AirCell (Gogo) has a new product offering for satellite-based connectivity. Probably, this is what Delta will be using if they chose to stay with AirCell as a vendor for international connectivity too.

On the other hand, onAir (which is owned by Airbus) is already servicing 16 major airlines and they claim that their customer base will reach 24 by the end of the year. Maybe Delta is one of those 8 customers who chose a proven solution rather then risking with a new service from an existing provider...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hasn't DL began install WIFI yet?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hasn't DL began install WIFI yet?
I have yet to see it on an international flight...and not expecting it tomorrow.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is that ready to install WIFI yet? So when is that?

Which ship# is that? Isn't DL supposed to install WIFI. They have to be done. ASAP.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Is that ready to install WIFI yet? So when is that?

Which ship# is that? Isn't DL supposed to install WIFI. They have to be done. ASAP.
I'm sure there will be an announcement and posts once this happens. The DL reps have been good about sharing updates recently.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Which ship# is that?
Ship 199 (N199DN) has been in DTW for Wifi mods for almost 2 months now. Since this is a change to the standard type certificate (STC), there will need to be numerous inspections and approvals as well as testing before deploying to the rest of the int'l fleet.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:20 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
WidgetHead...exactly the info I was about to post. We're still waiting for a supplemental type certificate for the a/c. The system is installed but we're not able to activate it for further testing until Uncle Sam says it's OK.

Originally Posted by WidgetHead
Ship 199 (N199DN) has been in DTW for Wifi mods for almost 2 months now. Since this is a change to the standard type certificate (STC), there will need to be numerous inspections and approvals as well as testing before deploying to the rest of the int'l fleet.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Thankfully VoIP shoid be nearly useless with the latency.

Alas, I will probably be next to the pax who thinks he can overcome this by talking louder
How silly: VoIP won't work better by talking louder.

However this trick works everytime for Americans when speaking to someone who has no comprehension of English.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Has anyone seen int'l in-flight WiFi?

Bound for the Far East this week and will be in-transit when my favorite college basketball team is playing in the NCAA tournament. That made me wonder, has anyone seen any of the in-flight WiFi on international flights that was promised for "early 2013"?

Alternately, does anyone have an update on when we could expect to start seeing that?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Marriot Silver, Delta Plat AMEX, Reserve AMEX
NO wifi is available on flights flying international outside of north america

edit: and quite frankly even traveling domestically you wouldnt be able to stream the games given the crap bandwith of gogo

and a simple google search reveals this

The international service will use high-bandwidth Ku-band capacity satellites to provide global coverage. When complete in 2015, Delta will operate approximately 1,000 Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft in its worldwide fleet.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by querb
NO wifi is available on flights flying international outside of north america

edit: and quite frankly even traveling domestically you wouldnt be able to stream the games given the crap bandwith of gogo
Yes and on a TATL the last think I would want is some DYKWIA taking up all the bandwidth on Skype or similar. But to the OP -the answer is no but I am sure they are at the testing stage.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes and on a TATL the last think I would want is some DYKWIA taking up all the bandwidth on Skype or similar. But to the OP -the answer is no but I am sure they are at the testing stage.
Actually, according to the delta website, DL210/211(JFK-PRG) is coming back into service on May 26th with Wifi. I'm also very curious to see how it works. As much as I love to go internet-free for 10 hours, I know I'll be too tempted to plug in, especially if the service is somewhat satisfactory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.