Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable fare codes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Refundable fare codes

Just for curiosity, I would like to know, what are the fare codes for refundable fares?

Here is what I know:
Coach - Y fares, and some B fares
Business - J fares, and I think some C Fares
First - F fares

I was wondering, are there any refundable P fares? And what about W (Economy Comfort) fares?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fare codes aren't enough. One needs full fare rules.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Just for curiosity, I would like to know, what are the fare codes for refundable fares?

Here is what I know:
Coach - Y fares, and some B fares
Business - J fares, and I think some C Fares
First - F fares

I was wondering, are there any refundable P fares? And what about W (Economy Comfort) fares?
You've pretty much covered it I believe. I'm not positive, but I think some M fares may be refundable also. As is previously mentioned though, you need the fare rules to be certain of anything.

No, there are no refundable P fares AFAIK.

Also, there is no such thing as a W fare on DL. Economy comfort is not something you purchase directly, but rather after you have a already purchased your ticket and as such it doesn't have its own fare class. W is premium economy, but on AF where it is atually a separate class of service.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have seen refundable and nonrefundable P fares, sometimes for the same flight but at very different prices.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
You've pretty much covered it I believe. I'm not positive, but I think some M fares may be refundable also. As is previously mentioned though, you need the fare rules to be certain of anything.

Also, there is no such thing as a W fare on DL. Economy comfort is not something you purchase directly, but rather after you have a already purchased your ticket and as such it doesn't have its own fare class. W is premium economy, but in AF where it is atually a separate class of service.
The W fare on DL is used for PV in AF codeshare flights. You can buy these on delta.dumb by doing advanced search by fare code. It tends not to work if you have non-AF segments on the same ticket; then you need to call DL.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The W fare on DL is used for PV in AF codeshare flights.
Correct, but there is no DL operated flight that will have a W fare.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

Correct, but there is no DL operated flight that will have a W fare.
True but as I said, DL sells W fares on some DL marketed AF operated flights.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:30 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

Also, there is no such thing as a W fare on DL. Economy comfort is not something you purchase directly, but rather after you have a already purchased your ticket and as such it doesn't have its own fare class. W is premium economy, but on AF where it is atually a separate class of service.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The W fare on DL is used for PV in AF codeshare flights. You can buy these on delta.dumb by doing advanced search by fare code. It tends not to work if you have non-AF segments on the same ticket; then you need to call DL.
Unfortunately it is quite the opposite. Although there is no cabin on DL metal that directly resembles PV on AF, DL still chose to have their very own W-fares with its own conditions and rules and does not simply take over the AF fare rules. It CAN happen that you get a DL-operated flight in W (or A).

I learned that the very hard way when I booked a bloody expensive "W" on AF and had it processed (reissued several times) on DL for SWU's. My originally refundable and changeable W fare was turned to a non-changeable/non-refundable fare with a 90-day max stay constraint in the process. AF couldn't help me and DL wouldn't. Use EF or ITA Matrix to search for the fare rules on AF and DL in order to see the significant differences.

Unfortunately, whenever I click on fare rules while booking on DL.com, I get an error.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:36 pm

AFAIK you cannot do an upgrade on a codeshare, so I suspect that DL reissued your ticket using as AF flight number when they processed the upgrade. At this time, they would have converted the DL W fare to some AF PV fare code. They should have warned you and given you the option to up fare into a refundable PV fare class on AF, which probably would have cost more money.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You really need the full fare rules and not just the letter. For example, I've seen F fares that were non-refundable when I dug into the rules, and seen some lower fares that were refundable with a $$ penalty.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL
Just to give some insight into refundable fares on the domestic US side, it does not go by the booking class but rather the fare basis code. Many people assume that just because it is a B fare or even a Y fare that it is refundable. Domestically, a refundable fare will be indicated in the fare basis code as such:

On eight character fare basis codes (most domestic ones are) the 7th character will indicate if it is refundable or not. An R, X, Y or Z in this place would indicate that the fare is refundable. An N, U, V or O would indicate non-refundable. Here are a few examples:

KA00A0RA = Refundable
KA00A0NA = Non-refundable

HA07UPXQ = Refundable
HA07UPVQ = Non-refundable

Then there are the full fares like Y, F, Y0 and F0 which are always refundable unless followed by an N or have an eight character fare basis code.

Y0 = Refundable
Y0N = Non-refundable
YA00A0RQ = Refundable
YA00A0NQ = Non-refundable

So there really is no way to simply say that any fare class is going to be refundable. In general, the likelihood of a Y, B or M fare being refundable is much higher than a H, Q, K, L, U, T or E but there definitely are Y and B fares that are non-refundable and lower fare classes that are refundable. This is true for domestic pricing, international has a different construction of fare basis codes.

It is always best to read the fare rules though, they will spell out refund and change fee policies! Hope that helps!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA ExP, AS MVP Gold, TK Gold, DL Plat
Originally Posted by RMAnalystATL
Just to give some insight into refundable fares on the domestic US side, it does not go by the booking class but rather the fare basis code. Many people assume that just because it is a B fare or even a Y fare that it is refundable. Domestically, a refundable fare will be indicated in the fare basis code as such:

On eight character fare basis codes (most domestic ones are) the 7th character will indicate if it is refundable or not. An R, X, Y or Z in this place would indicate that the fare is refundable. An N, U, V or O would indicate non-refundable. Here are a few examples:

KA00A0RA = Refundable
KA00A0NA = Non-refundable

HA07UPXQ = Refundable
HA07UPVQ = Non-refundable

Then there are the full fares like Y, F, Y0 and F0 which are always refundable unless followed by an N or have an eight character fare basis code.

Y0 = Refundable
Y0N = Non-refundable
YA00A0RQ = Refundable
YA00A0NQ = Non-refundable

So there really is no way to simply say that any fare class is going to be refundable. In general, the likelihood of a Y, B or M fare being refundable is much higher than a H, Q, K, L, U, T or E but there definitely are Y and B fares that are non-refundable and lower fare classes that are refundable. This is true for domestic pricing, international has a different construction of fare basis codes.

It is always best to read the fare rules though, they will spell out refund and change fee policies! Hope that helps!
is there any way to check rules for B fare purchased on Delta web site other than calling Delta?
thx
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by mikena
is there any way to check rules for B fare purchased on Delta web site other than calling Delta?
thx
In the past, it would have been easy to check the fare rules on EF.

The problem with calling DL is that you cannot really trust agents to give you the correct information, not is whatever they say binding when you later need to invoke the fare rules.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikena
thx
There is no single 'B fare rule.' The is fare rule B......... that books into B inventory between city pair xxx and yyy purchased in country zz.

Hyperlinks at purchase (at least for DL-operated segments) are commonly available to Detailed Fare Rules. The really well organized traveler will save these rules.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: AA ExP, AS MVP Gold, TK Gold, DL Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There is no single 'B fare rule.' The is fare rule B......... that books into B inventory between city pair xxx and yyy purchased in country zz.

Hyperlinks at purchase (at least for DL-operated segments) are commonly available to Detailed Fare Rules. The really well organized traveler will save these rules.

thanks, will try to ask in recent MSP-Wenatchee thread, maybe somebody can share

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.