Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

upgrade on a transatlantic flight - the easy way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I'm a GM with not so many miles (status match). I've been waiting for a flight from JFK-TLV. I offered the guy at the boarding gate to take the next flight on the next day, as they had a standby list of about 15 people.

He was happy with my decision and offered me $600 in delta dollars, which seem like a good offer. He told me to wait after boarding and that he will make the transaction complete.

After boarding was final they called my name and told me that they upgraded me to business class on my willingness to volunteer and they don't need my seat in the flight after all.

Hope other will find this information useful.

btw, the skyclub lounge at gate 6 is horrible.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If Y is oversold, they will move Medallions up front if there is space. I've also been OpUp'ed when volunteering my seat across the Pond.

Glad it worked out for you on a long flight!
Old May 20, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
If Y is oversold, they will move Medallions up front if there is space. I've also been OpUp'ed when volunteering my seat across the Pond.

Glad it worked out for you on a long flight!
I had a similar situation recently on a KL tatl flight from YVR where I was unexpectedly moved to the front.
My question is this: will I receive MQM miles (150%) for the flown class (C) or for the paid class ?

TIA !
Old May 20, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelomania
I had a similar situation recently on a KL tatl flight from YVR where I was unexpectedly moved to the front.
My question is this: will I receive MQM miles (150%) for the flown class (C) or for the paid class ?

TIA !
You typically get the miles for your paid class of service when this happens. Of the OpUp's I've received, only once did I get the bonus miles, but I think that's because the GA fully rebooked me into S...certainly not the norm and I did not expect it!
Old May 20, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I think that the Delta guy did a nice trick : I had a seat next to an exit door. So I saw him selling this seat for extra dollars for a standby passenger.
And then he bumped me to the only available seat as the flight was 100% full, maybe a last minute cancel.
That way Delta win more dollars from the standby passenger and a GM earns an upgrade. everybody win.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I would not exactly call this type of upgrade the “easy” way, as you have to ensure that you will be a passenger on a flight that is full or oversold. However, once that occurs and the competition for the voluntary “bump” is not fierce — and your schedule allows you to be flexible — then it can be an “easy” upgrade.
I've also been OpUp'ed when volunteering my seat across the Pond.
...as have I.
I received the full benefits of the unexpected upgrade as if I had paid for it.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would not exactly call this type of upgrade the “easy” way, as you have to ensure that you will be a passenger on a flight that is full or oversold. However, once that occurs and the competition for the voluntary “bump” is not fierce, then it can be an “easy” upgrade....as have I.I received the full benefits of the unexpected upgrade as if I had paid for it.
When volunteering, I usually do ask that they not put me in a middle seat though...
Old May 20, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
When I volunteer I ask them to confirm me business the next day and provide the $600 voucher. Typically works -.- I guess I'm a bad person.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
When volunteering, I usually do ask that they not put me in a middle seat though...
Thanks for your quick response - that's a good idea ! ^

I usually ask if a flight is full and when there's the suspicion of it being oversold I would then let them know that I would voluntarily offer my seat.
However, after countless years of solely international flights I never got so lucky, until - totally unexpected - the OpUp I mentioned was offered.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tolmar
He told me to wait after boarding and that he will make the transaction complete.
I've had this same thing happen to me. I wonder what would've happened if the OP wandered off for a coffee or a snack, came back to the gate after the door was closed, to find that they had been calling him with the upgraded seat instead of a VDB. Do you think they still would have paid him the $600?

On an unrelated note, I was flying SAT/ATL on Saturday morning. The GA said that she might need 1 vol, and if she did, the voucher would be $600. I heard they were considering upping it from $400, but I have yet to see it. I do understand the $600 offer for JFK/TLV, but SAT/ATL???

edited to add . . . . No, she didn't need me!

Last edited by davetravels; May 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Old May 21, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold

TIA !
I've only ever gotten the mileage credit for the fare class that my ticket was originally purchased under when op up'd. Flew back to the States last week SYD-LAX and did not get the op up on a flight that had 80+ empty seats in back. However, they called up 31 pax on that flight for new BPs. I am assuming that there were at least several non revs and family members in this bunch who probably had their standby BPs replaced with actual BPs but I talked with one very excited young lady and husband in the gate area who were not expecting it when she got called up and very clearly were op up'd. I know for sure that there were at least 2 DMs in EC (myself and the guy sitting across the aisle from me). Anyone have experience with SYD and op ups? Curious what criteria they use...
Old May 21, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by jsmith50
I've only ever gotten the mileage credit for the fare class that my ticket was originally purchased under when op up'd. Flew back to the States last week SYD-LAX and did not get the op up on a flight that had 80+ empty seats in back. However, they called up 31 pax on that flight for new BPs. I am assuming that there were at least several non revs and family members in this bunch who probably had their standby BPs replaced with actual BPs but I talked with one very excited young lady and husband in the gate area who were not expecting it when she got called up and very clearly were op up'd. I know for sure that there were at least 2 DMs in EC (myself and the guy sitting across the aisle from me). Anyone have experience with SYD and op ups? Curious what criteria they use...
Have flown this route only once, but many other TPAC flights. Would guess that they follow the usual DL practice (i.e. "protecting" the BE cabin from everyone but NRSAs): even if BE is pretty much empty and there are just a few DMs on the flight, they will not op-up you (sans YBM + SWU, of course). A DM, HVC or not, would sit in the back even on full Y (which is about $5K now, I think), and non-revs and buddy-passes will be riding upfront. But, hey, this is an official benefit of the job, so no problem.

Were you on a low coach fare?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
When I volunteer I ask them to confirm me business the next day and provide the $600 voucher. Typically works -.- I guess I'm a bad person.
I wish DL wouldn't do this unless they are sure that everyone trying to use a SWU will be upgraded. Otherwise, some elite has paid extra for the M+ fare but you are given their upgrade rather than the additional DVB compensation that would cause you to volunteer for a seat on tomorrow's flight in coach. I would feel less strongly about this if you had a M+ fare, especially if you were already upgraded on the original flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.