GA: Your flight is delayed, please SDC

Old May 21, 2012, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
GA: Your flight is delayed, please SDC

We were in BGM yesterday and heard the following announcement from a GA at the next gate:

"If you're on flight xyz to ATL; that flight will be delayed by an hour, I have two seats available on an earlier flight, if your in the gate area and have just carry on luggage and would like to go now, please see me."

Haven't heard one like that before, in the days when SDCs were free for everyone you had to be proactive to do this time of thing.

(I checked flight status and the total delay for the flight that was delayed was wound up over 3 hours and it was late enough in the day that it didn't connect with very much !).

Bob H.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good for the GA for being proactive and at least helping two passengers, although I hope elite status and connections were considered rather than giving free SDCs onto a desirable flight to kettles.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good for the GA for being proactive and at least helping two passengers, although I hope elite status and connections were considered rather than giving free SDCs onto a desirable flight to kettles.
Probably not an issue, it was a couple hours before flight xyz was due to leave, so I doubt many had made it to the gate.

Bob H
Old May 21, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I heard the same MSY-ATL once, but it was because the next flight was oversold & they were trying to open some seats. With flights just an hour or so apart there were some folks already there for the later flight who took the SDC. I don't recall any mention of priority for medallions, but then again, it wasn't like there was a big rush of people to the gate trying to take the offer.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; PC36100 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My cynical side guesses either:
The delayed flight was oversold
Or
The delayed flight was MX or some other reason DL would have to pay for hotels and meals.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I had it on SAN-LAX en route to LHR via CDG. Get to SAN commuter terminal about an hour in advance and am queuing to do doc check. (I always have issues with AF if not done properly.) I hear the TA announce that the previous flight (two hours late) is finally going to depart once the aircraft lands and that anyone on the later flight should see him. I check with the TA dong my doc check, and he puts me on the earlier flight. Upon arrival at LAX, I discover that it was basically done for my convenience, as my booked flight was arriving early at LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.