Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long delay/hang forwarding delta itinerary email using Microsoft Outlook

Old May 2, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 2MM/PM Marriott: LT Platinum

I am having a strange problem forwarding itinerary receipts emails that I receive from Delta. Bascially, when I hit 'forward' button in Microsoft Outlook, the program hangs (anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes) while it requests all icons/ads etc to include in the email. I can't do anything with MS Outlook (wait cursor) until all the images etc... are fetched. Again when I hit the 'Send' button, the program hangs for another 1 to 5 minutes until it fetches all the icons etc again and sends the email.

I was wondering if anyone else is running into this and if so, have found any workarounds. Haven't contacted Delta yet. Was going to post this into Delta IT
Buglist thread - but I think that my problem may not be Delta IT related.

I receive 100s of emails everyday and send tens of them everyday (with all types of content and attachments) and this problem doesn't seem to happen with any other emails that have web links etc.. included in them.

For the geeks/tech oriented folks, when I captured packets (Wireshark) going out of my computer, I noticed thousands of requests to following URL (seems very unusual) - http://f.chtah.com/i/5/2083323528/1x2.gif
The response to this GET request is always: HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified
Old May 2, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta DM Reserve; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I know exactly what you mean. This is VERY frustrating. Would love to know if there is a fix.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have the same problem when I want to forward the itinerary to TripIt or even at times just trying to print the email. It helps to wait for all the images to load but even then I've had Outlook crash and so I switch to my iPad that has no such problem.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Thank you. You saved me the trouble of starting a thread.

Itineraries used to come with a PDF version attached, which was very convenient for extracting when it came time to do expense reports.

With that now being a thing of the past, I now have to print the e-mail to a PDF file.

When I click to expand the e-mail, it takes several minutes to open and, then, when I try to print it to the PDF file, it takes many minutes more.

Another example of DL IT being on the cutting edge?

Perhaps, since this has nothing to do with decimating SM benefits, we might be able to get a response from a DL representative on this matter?
Old May 2, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Itineraries used to come with a PDF version attached, which was very convenient for extracting when it came time to do expense reports.

With that now being a thing of the past, I now have to print the e-mail to a PDF file.
I have to do this too, but have found that it is much easier to do from the web site.

If you go to "my itineraries" and click on the one you need to print, then scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a link to view the reciept. This link opens in a very printer-friendly single-page format that includes the routing/dates/times, fare basis code, total cost, taxes, and payment.

Never received any complaints from my expense department, and found it works much better for printing to PDF than the email. The only catch is that you have to print it between booking and flying the last segment (when the itinerary/receipt is removed from the web site).
Old May 2, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Delta just upgraded to Eudora from Netscape Messenger; perhaps they're still working out the bugs.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sabai
Delta just upgraded to Eudora from Netscape Messenger; perhaps they're still working out the bugs.

I will report this to webmaster/tech-support at delta.com and post any findings here.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
This is Outlook being a terrible program that hangs up when accessing external images etc. and is not constrained to Delta. You could maybe try blocking external content on emails from Delta by default?

Yes, it's exacerbated by the Delta's emails but shows up for other senders as well. Outlook is ridiculously bad in too many ways regarding network access.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattsteg
This is Outlook being a terrible program that hangs up when accessing external images etc. and is not constrained to Delta. You could maybe try blocking external content on emails from Delta by default?

Yes, it's exacerbated by the Delta's emails but shows up for other senders as well. Outlook is ridiculously bad in too many ways regarding network access.
You are right - it is a combination of Delta's page design and Outlook implementation. While blocking external links does help when reading the email. However, it doesn't help when forwarding an email as Outlook insists on getting all external content.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The delay also occurs when printing the emailed Delta itinerary from Outlook. However, it is not entirely an Outlook problem: when requesting the Delta website to email the itinerary or receipt to an AOL address, then using the AOL web software you get gibberish (not even the links to the right info). Emails sent from anywhere else work just fine on AOL. So, Delta could definitely improve the compatibility of what they send to their customers with standard software used by those customers...
Old May 3, 2012, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by shukar
You are right - it is a combination of Delta's page design and Outlook implementation. While blocking external links does help when reading the email. However, it doesn't help when forwarding an email as Outlook insists on getting all external content.
FWIW, I don't have this issue on Outlook 2010 x64 (running Windows 8 x64). Either MS found a way to fix the issue, or perhaps it is limited to x32 machines/software?
Old May 3, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by dcline414
FWIW, I don't have this issue on Outlook 2010 x64 (running Windows 8 x64). Either MS found a way to fix the issue, or perhaps it is limited to x32 machines/software?
I have problems on both 32 and 63 bit version of Outlook 2010. There must be something else in the mix like my Windows 7x64.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcline414
I am using 64-bit Windows 7, but my Outlook 2010 is 32 bit.

(I feel like this thread belongs on msoffice forum rather than FT)
Old May 3, 2012, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
I have problems on both 32 and 63 bit version of Outlook 2010. There must be something else in the mix like my Windows 7x64.
Well then it must not be solely an Outlook issue, as it takes all of about 3 seconds for me to load/forward/send an itinerary email. Perhaps it is a OS firewall or internet connection issue as well.

Originally Posted by shukar
(I feel like this thread belongs on msoffice forum rather than FT)
Nah... this sort of unofficial tech support is par for the course with Delta, at least until they figure out what IT stands for!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
At least I'm not the only one...

Every time I fwd a DL E-Ticket it crashes my outlook

SOOOOOO Annoying

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.