Struggling on upgrade to GM from FO

Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Struggling on upgrade to GM from FO

I know this topic has probably been beating up a number of times, but I am currently a FO and I am less than 1K from being a GM. My issue is that I won't be flying as much next year, and I am doubting if I'll even make Silver again. I did say, before this year, that I wouldn't be flying much this year either and ended up almost at Gold, but I expected to fly enough for Silver.

Is it worth it to have Gold for next year for roughly 6 trips, or keep Silver for two more years? I have been upgraded at least 40% of the time as an FO, and like the ability to pick E-row when I book. My main complaint is not being Sky Priority. It would also be nice to be able to upgrade my wife when we use award travel because many of the destinations are not heavy business destinations.

I was thinking that if I loose Silver I would just start paying for Economy Comfort which would get me most of what I want. I am also hoping that Delta doesn't make the Silver program worse in 2013.

What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Go for GM. The benefits are much better than FO. If you end up flying a lot, the benefits will be great and you will likely qualify for FO next year. If you end up not flying then you dont need status anyway. Oh...and welcome to FT!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I made gold for the first time this year. I have seen only a slight increase in upgrades from Silver (I typically fly unusual time and routes so it was very high to begin with) but I have really enjoyed the ability to SDC and pick economy comfort right after booking.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by clean97z
I know this topic has probably been beating up a number of times, but I am currently a FO and I am less than 1K from being a GM. My issue is that I won't be flying as much next year, and I am doubting if I'll even make Silver again. I did say, before this year, that I wouldn't be flying much this year either and ended up almost at Gold, but I expected to fly enough for Silver.
I think the real question is....what are you doing in 2015?

If you hold short, one trip is going to get you FO for 2014. Then you have until 2015 to earn enough MQMs to maintain some status.

If you plan on doing any kind of flying in the future, you do not want to go all the way back to a general member. If you honestly think your "elite earning" days are over; take GM for next year and go out with a bang.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Suggest:
a. Stay FO ... and benefit for 2 years

or

b. Become GM and then drop down to status-less for 2015.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I would go for Gold. 2014 is a ways off, and who knows what might happen between now and then. Silver isn't hard to get to with CC sign up bonuses, buying MQMs, a few flights, etc. Gold is a big step up, so take it for the next 14 months and worry about getting Silver at the end of next year.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:42 pm

we are going into revenue-based soon, aren't we ...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Is it worth it to have Gold for next year for roughly 6 trips, or keep Silver for two more years? I have been upgraded at least 40% of the time as an FO, and like the ability to pick E-row when I book. My main complaint is not being Sky Priority. It would also be nice to be able to upgrade my wife when we use award travel because many of the destinations are not heavy business destinations.

I was thinking that if I loose Silver I would just start paying for Economy Comfort which would get me most of what I want. I am also hoping that Delta doesn't make the Silver program worse in 2013.

What are your thoughts?
Note that whether FO or GM--or PM or DM--you cannot upgrade a companion on an award ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that whether FO or GM--or PM or DM--you cannot upgrade a companion on an award ticket.
Not officially. I've done it twice at the gate a couple years back. This only works if seats were going to go out empty in F and you have a nice GA. I ended up gifting her GM so that wasn't an issue any more.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go for it. Now the debate is do I buy the 2500 miles or go for the purchase of Sky Club and get the 1500 miles (I think it was 1500).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go for it. Now the debate is do I buy the 2500 miles or go for the purchase of Sky Club and get the 1500 miles (I think it was 1500).
If you don't have an existing Skyclub membership, then buying the Skyclub membership gives you something tangible to use plus the MQMs.

- go for the purchase of Sky Club and get the 1500 MQMs!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by dd1612
If you don't have an existing Skyclub membership, then buying the Skyclub membership gives you something tangible to use plus the MQMs.

I actually wouldn't recommend that. They are over-crowded. Free drinks are nice, but when I was letting mine lapse I found I could go in but didn't anymore.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by micstatic
I actually wouldn't recommend that. They are over-crowded. Free drinks are nice, but when I was letting mine lapse I found I could go in but didn't anymore.
It's $395 to purchase a 2,500 MQM's, or $400 for a Silver to purchase a SkyClub membership that will give 1,500 MQM's. I'm definitely with dd1612 on getting the SkyClub membership so at least you are getting something tangible to go along with the Gold status.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
SkyClubs are either terribly overcrowded or they're fine (and quite nice). It all depends on which airport you're at.

For example, don't bother trying to go into the one in DCA, particularly in the late afternoon.

On the other hand, I camped out in the SLC club for about 8 hours on a weekday (about 4pm until 12:30am) a couple of weeks ago and found it to be quite relaxing and nice.

The ATL clubs get busy at peak times but never get totally unmanageable like the one at DCA.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by dd1612

I agree. I drink my weight in gold in those SC's so go for the tangible benefits. Plus with any IROPS, SDC, issues, seat changes, sky club agents are a god send. Go for the SC membership. Also allows 2 guests per member so you can get your wife in plus another guest.

I spent 2 years as FO. Dreadful and mostly useless except free bag check. But Amex gets you that anyway.

As GM for 2011 and 2012 I have been much happier. Sky priority and preference over FO's in IROPS is huge. There are a TON of FO's. but UG %... Don't get your hopes up too much. I really had high hopes for UG's as gold and its been lackluster to say the least.

Plus gold get free EC on domestic which is nice. And a decent discount on intl EC as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.