Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta million miler

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; Delta Platinum; Priority Club Platinum.
Delta million miler

First of all, before all the negative comments --- i'm not bitter about Delta's MM status and haven't been jilted... I'm only just approaching 500k.

But, why is Delta's MM program sooo much weaker than United's?

1MM on United gets you lifetime GOLD + status for a companion.
2MM gets you lifetime platinum, 3MM = lifetime 1K, and 4MM = "global status" (whatever that means).

Delta is WEAK in this department.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by jeffmilw
First of all, before all the negative comments --- i'm not bitter about Delta's MM status and haven't been jilted... I'm only just approaching 500k.

2MM gets you lifetime platinum, 3MM = lifetime 1K, and 4MM = "global status" (whatever that means).

Especially since Silver has lost its luster... it used to be 3rd tier and had more benefits.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jeffmilw

Review the "what counts for MM status" thread... DL counts booking-class bonuses and AmEx points toward MM status. No wonder it's watered down!

Easy come, easy to dismiss.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Delta knows that no one is going to choose their preferred airline based on the strength of the Million Miler program and most likely no one, after accumulating a few million, is going to leave so why do they have to be competitive in it?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Delta knows that no one is going to choose their preferred airline based on the strength of the Million Miler program and most likely no one, after accumulating a few million, is going to leave so why do they have to be competitive in it?
Staying the course for lifetime Gold was very valuable to me pre Diamond and water down of the tiers....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcline414
Review the "what counts for MM status" thread... DL counts booking-class bonuses and AmEx points toward MM status. No wonder it's watered down!

Easy come, easy to dismiss.
+1

OP, this is really a no-brainer. You don't see elites flocking to UA right now, so the easy answer is that DL doesn't have to be competitive. Also, MM's are much easier to come by on DL. And finally, DL caters to DM's and other HVC's currently bringing in money, rather than MM's that brought money in the past. I mean, what other airline will pick you up in a Porsche to help you make that connection?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don
I'm not sure that's entirely true to young consultants or other such FFers who may be earning over 100k miles per year, but have not yet accrued significant miles.

I think you'd be surprised how perceptive the younger generations are with regard to long-term benefits, especially when they plan to be loyal to an airline for many years.

I see much more apathy amongst the 50-somethings than the 20-somethings when it comes to FF programs.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
The answer is simple. For many years all miles flown or not counted toward DL MM status. When the change was made there were many MMrs who got there through credit card, hotel, dining bonuses etc. UA on the other hand has always been MM via BIS only.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
The answer is simple. For many years all miles flown or not counted toward DL MM status. When the change was made there were many MMrs who got there through credit card, hotel, dining bonuses etc. UA on the other hand has always been MM via BIS only.
And just like FCM, Delta changed the rules and it hurt loyal people who fly Delta jets the most...

..and make no mistake, the pot at the end of a rainbow is a very core part of customer rentention...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
UA on the other hand has always been MM via BIS only.
I always missed this benefit since coming to DL.

It would be nice to know how many ACTUAL miles I've flown (no segment minimums or other BS miles included). Even if you earn non-BIS miles, you have to admit that this is a fair way to count MM miles.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Maybe Delta has figured out that 1 million miles on United brings more misery than two million on Delta.

The OP is welcome to go the the United forum and search for the terms:

'employee class', yielding 481 hits

'prison matron', yielding 149 hits

That's just getting started.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond / United 1K / HHonors Diamond
I actually just 'flocked' to United from Delta, rising M fare classes to Sydney primarily to blame. Went from $2200 to $5000+ in about 2 years, United ranges $2500-3500. Not to mention much better award redemption. Took me hook line and sinker on a status match in February.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by bradjward
I actually just 'flocked' to United from Delta, rising M fare classes to Sydney primarily to blame. Went from $2200 to $5000+ in about 2 years, United ranges $2500-3500. Not to mention much better award redemption. Took me hook line and sinker on a status match in February.
We're in the same boat, bradjward. I've exceeded 1.7 MM with DL and could probably have hit 2MM by the end of 2013, but am flying much more on UA now given DL's rising SWUable fares and abysmal award redemption. If DL had a similar MM program as UA, there'd be stronger incentive to stick with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.