Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Protocol for flying ashes ( human ashes ) transatlantic

Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S

strange question this but we are flying some ashes ABZ - LAS next week.

route is BMI ABZ to LHR then Delta for LHR-JFK-LAS with 5 day stopver in NYC.

Is it protocol to contact the airline if you plan to pack the item well in the hold luggage, I guess in my mind is what happens if I dont tell them, will they pull me up for having an urn in the luggage.

Interested, on off chance anyone has done this before

Also useful if anyone knows if we need to tell Nevada authorities if scattering at Zion site in Vegas,
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Cremated Remains
Cremated remains can be accepted as either carry-on or checked baggage.
Carry-on:
Remains must pass through the x-ray machine. If the container is metal and prevents the screener from clearly being able to see what’s inside, the container will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. TSA suggests the passenger purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container of lighter material such as wood or plastic which can easily be x-rayed. TSA is not allowed to open the container under any circumstances.
Checked Baggage:
A passenger may transport cremated remains as checked baggage provided the remains successfully pass through security screening.
Normal bag fees apply.
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...x.jsp#cremains
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
You aren't allowed to open the door to scatter them at 39,000 feet.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by HongKonger; Mar 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
OK thank you

So if I reda right, I dont need to "tell them" I just need to comply with above if carrying hand luggage, but as it will be in hold luggage then I dont need to worry about what its contained in
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Can't address transatlantic but I did carry my brothers ashes (surprisingly heavy for such a small box) on a Transcontinental (MCO/SFO) 7 years ago. The only issue I had was when a TSA agent asked what was in the box and I told them "my brothers ashes, do you want me to open it up so you can look" the agent stuttered and finally said "that will not be necessary, have a nice flight . My brother made his last flight under the seat in front of me in F/C ... just they way he would have wanted it.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by drspear
Also useful if anyone knows if we need to tell Nevada authorities if scattering at Zion site in Vegas,
Many sites have regulations about cremains. Do you mean the Zion national park in Utah? Or is there another "Zion" in Las Vegas to which you're referring?

If you do mean the National Park, a Special Use Permit is required: http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...g-of-ashes.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.