Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Would be interesting to see how American Express charges would equate into this program if it ever happens.

Southwest went to this type of system a little over a year ago, and I haven't flown a revenue flight with them since then that I have paid for. There were some other issues with WN, but that was the final thing.

On the WN board though, a lot of the people that pay higher fares prefer this program. I could see revenue based being popular for business travellers who buy last minute higher fare class bucket tickets.

I am sure there are some people who are FO's from segments who spend more a year than I do as a PM (especially those with something like 50 segments a year).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by LedgeT
The Loyalty Program is comprised of two projects that seek to increase revenue and customer loyalty along with
decreasing liability related to unused award miles. Coordinated communication to the general public regarding the
intentions of these changes is paramount to acceptance.

Revenue Based Mileage Accrual (RBMA) project shifts the basis for awarding miles to a revenue based accrual approach
Release 0: Support the communication/announcement of upcoming SkyMiles program changes (targeted 1Q12).
Will no longer display distance flown miles for departures after new miles accrual effective date (targeted for 3Q12)
Release 0.5: Provide Mileage Calculator to calculate approximate revenue based mileage accrual based on travel
after launch ((targeted 2Q12)
Release 1: Convert SkyMiles System from flown miles to revenue based mileage accrual (3Q12)
Release 2: Reward SkyMiles members with miles for all non-air purchases (i.e. SkyClub, Seats) (currently On Hold)

Fare Based Award Ticket Redemption (FBATR) project
Fast Track Release – Provides limited base functionality to align with the Polaris Chicago release timing

Phase I at Launch introduces Fare Based Award Redemption Model, Single Shopping Experience for Customer, New Award Inventory Controls, Cash + Miles Award Redemption Product, Award Redemption for OA, Modifications to the automated Award Refund, Redeposit, and Reissue and Exchange Process

Phase II – After Launch includes Bid for Price Award Redemption Product, Buy It Now Award Redemption Product, Volume Discount Award Redemption Product, Modifications to SkyMiles Branded Mileage Upgrade Products, and Modifications to SkyMiles System-Wide Upgrade Certificates
Wow.

This would be a huge game changer.

Of course, it largely depends on what they award for SM for RBMA. Is it 10 SM per dollar, 20 per dollar, etc. etc.

Regarding the Fare Based Award Ticket Redemption (FBATR) project , DL already does this to an extent with "Pay with Miles". It's typically a terrible deal.

If DL moved all awards to FBATR, a J class award redemption to Asia could shoot up from 120,000 if you can find space on a low award currently, to something in the millions if it's based on spending miles to get $6,000+ r/t fares.

It would be such a massive change, both on accrual and redemption levels, that the effects could not be understated as to how this would dramatically change the landscape of frequent flyer programs in N. America.

With FCM and less upgrade opportunities in the mix, I'd probably still fly DL on occassion, but give up any specific loyalty to DL. While I do really like their product and am overall very happy with DL, there would be no real motivation at that point to spend more money on DL and take circuitous routings etc. in an effort to stay loyal. Cheapest fare/best flight times and schedule on whomever would prevail, whether that's DL or someone else.

I think the big losers would be small business owners/self-employed/smaller business employees/high frequency leisure travellers all of whom look for reasonable fares (not necessarily just sLUT, but also K/Q type flyers) whereas the big corporations or consultants that are able to bill back full-Y or paid-F purchases will likely do quite ok out of such a move.

Whether DL would do well in the long run offering a very rewarding program to a very limited group of HVC (perhaps as little as 10-15% of the current Medallion base?), and be "ok" with alienating the rest... I don't know.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
I was in a focus group over a year ago discussing this exact topic...so yes, they're considering it. Have been for some time, obviously. The group was made up of Delta AMEX cardholders. I was the only medallion among the group. Take that however you want, but it was clear that I was the only actual frequent flyer in my group...the rest were just Joe Schmoes with an AMEX that flew Delta sometimes.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=SamuelS;18230757]Wow.

This would be a huge game changer.

Of course, it largely depends on what they award for SM for RBMA. Is it 10 SM per dollar, 20 per dollar, etc. etc.

Regarding the Fare Based Award Ticket Redemption (FBATR) project , DL already does this to an extent with "Pay with Miles". It's typically a terrible deal.

If DL moved all awards to FBATR, a J class award redemption to Asia could shoot up from 120,000 if you can find space on a low award currently, to something in the millions if it's based on spending miles to get $6,000+ r/t fares.

It would be such a massive change, both on accrual and redemption levels, that the effects could not be understated as to how this would dramatically change the landscape of frequent flyer programs in N. America.

With FCM and less upgrade opportunities in the mix, I'd probably still fly DL on occassion, but give up any specific loyalty to DL. While I do really like their product and am overall very happy with DL, there would be no real motivation at that point to spend more money on DL and take circuitous routings etc. in an effort to stay loyal. Cheapest fare/best flight times and schedule on whomever would prevail, whether that's DL or someone else.
I think the big losers would be small business owners/self-employed/smaller business employees/high frequency leisure travellers all of whom look for reasonable fares (not necessarily just sLUT, but also K/Q type flyers) whereas the big corporations or consultants that are able to bill back full-Y or paid-F purchases will likely do quite ok out of such a move.

Whether DL would do well in the long run offering a very rewarding program to a very limited group of HVC (perhaps as little as 10-15% of the current Medallion base?), and be "ok" with alienating the rest... I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Was thinking the same thing..I am no airline business model expert, but it seems crazy to reward just your top few people who buy FC and high last minute fares and completely alienate the other 85% or whatever it might be..

There are plenty of people like me that are GM's, fly 50-50 pleasure and work and buy primarily LUT fares with maybe occasional K fare. This group is loyal to Delta and will pay more per ticket in general to enjoy upgrades, sky priority, a couple BE award tickets to Europe every year or so etc.

If people like me no longer receive these benefits, then all all that matters will be price/schedule. If tons of loyal customers like me staryting thinking that way and price shopping each ticket, wouldnt it just put downward pressure on prices in general?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta called me to be in a focus group. Only problem was I was going to be gone on travel during it!

I believe they were holding it on either the 14th or 15th of this month. That would make the timeline that was posted earlier realistic...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Ths is happening. Definitely later this year. Apparently the entire contract with AMEX is being re-worked, so there is a lot of time and effort being put into this.

I think I may end up flying AA once we get the details.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I can't wait for the bid for awards system. I can see it ending up like the SkyMiles Auction, where people bid 103,438 miles for a $100 Outback Steakhouse gift card...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SCMConsult
Delta called me to be in a focus group. Only problem was I was going to be gone on travel during it!

I believe they were holding it on either the 14th or 15th of this month. That would make the timeline that was posted earlier realistic...
I wonder what the benefits will be to the majority of customers who typically buy LUT fares. How would Delta spin it so these customers would see value?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I wonder what the benefits will be to the majority of customers who typically buy LUT fares. How would Delta spin it so these customers would see value?
Same way you convince someone that dihydrogen monoxide is a major component of acid rain and should be outlawed.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au

Was thinking the same thing..I am no airline business model expert, but it seems crazy to reward just your top few people who buy FC and high last minute fares and completely alienate the other 85% or whatever it might be..

There are plenty of people like me that are GM's, fly 50-50 pleasure and work and buy primarily LUT fares with maybe occasional K fare. This group is loyal to Delta and will pay more per ticket in general to enjoy upgrades, sky priority, a couple BE award tickets to Europe every year or so etc.

If people like me no longer receive these benefits, then all all that matters will be price/schedule. If tons of loyal customers like me staryting thinking that way and price shopping each ticket, wouldnt it just put downward pressure on prices in general?
Well UA has done it with their FFP to a degree by lowering Gold bonus mileage. So we just need to wait and see how DL deals.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YtravelF
I think I may end up flying AA once we get the details.
Keep in mind that if history repeats itself, in the airline business once one airline treads down this slippery slope, the others are very likely to follow. Could be that DL becomes the pace setter for future FF programs that none of us like!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Well UA has done it with their FFP to a degree by lowering Gold bonus mileage. So we just need to wait and see how DL deals.
This is an order of magnitude away from tweaking elite mileage bonuses...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Enhanced meal service.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't like the idea, but I don't think it's as hard to implement as you're suggesting. NZ uses "Airpoints dollars" as their units, and they're based broadly on booking class and region and don't correspond strictly to flight length (Asia to Africa is 25 Airpoints dollars in discounted economy, despite drastic potential flight length differences, for instance), whereas most of the other *A members use a traditional system that looks like the US carriers.
When other *A FFP members fly on NZ, do they still earn regular miles based on distance though (as part of their program, which I'd think states that for all *A airlines they earn miles based on distance)? Or do they earn these "airports dollars" instead (even though not NZ FFP members, and their FPP is not set to earn this way)?

And NZ FFP members flying airlines other than NZ, presumably still earn based on mi distance.. or?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Do I need to get a towel for throwing???

I think for many the decision will be why bother.

If they want to "reduce liability" of unused miles why did the marketing department come up w/ miles that never expire?

Maybe DL pushes this through and says "accept Mr or Mrs FF. Then again, it could become SLUT fares 2.0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.