Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:38 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by delanet
interesting speculation on TPG. Thoughts?
Southwest's customers made a lot of noise when the new fare-based Rapid Rewards was introduced almost two years ago. The new program turned both earning and redemption tactics upside down. Now that we are accustomed to the new tactics some of us like the new program.

Yet there's no getting around the fact that a program overhaul like this is a huge devaluation to customers who have become expert at gaming the old program. Southwest's change devalued my earnings by a factor of 3. But life goes on, and we need to remember the years of abundance. Considering the number of years that I earned 70% to 100% effective rebates on my Southwest ticket purchases, I consider myself still to be ahead in this game.

One other point. Frequent flier programs operate on the principle that the customer perceives a value which is higher than the airline's cost to provide that value. Part of this mismatch derives from continual devaluations, so that the customer's perception of redemption value always lags reality. The airlines need to keep devaluation moving so as to keep customers fooled. In fact, the airlines need to keep accelerating the devaluation to keep customers fooled. (This is the same situation faced by governments which choose to fund a significant portion of their operations by printing money: Only by accelerating the inflation can the government stay ahead of public expectations.)

At some point the accelerating devaluation exceeds reasonable limits and customer confidence in the value of miles completely evaporates. A new program can restart the process slowly after the old liabilities are voided, e.g. in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Until then, expect devaluation to continue and to accelerate. Economics practically demands it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/11/my-8...s-devaluation/
I hope not, speculation all looks ugly.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Even if 50% were to happen, it would still be ugly.

However, any relief from the YBM international upgrades would potentially be welcome.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by LuvAv8n

However, any relief from the YBM international upgrades would potentially be welcome.
Not for me -- at least not if it meant that a K fare could be upgraded with SkyMiles but DL wants almost as many SkyMiles as it does for an award ticket.

As things stand right now, an M fare runs me about $1000 more than a K fare would, 50,000 SkyMiles gets me upgraded across the Atlantic in both directions and on most (if not all) of my domestic segments, the M fare is much more flexible than the K, and I earn 1.5 SkyMiles and MQMs for my M fare -- and with Gold or Platinum status, that means that I get almost as many SkyMiles as the upgrade costs me, and I can make Gold with two itineraries per year or Platinum with 3 -- and that gets me four SWUs.

I also have very little difficulty right now in getting upgrades, but if they are allowed on K fares, the competition for them will increase sharply.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see anything new here. Pretty much the same old speculation with no real new inside information. He seems to somewhat base it on the recent website redesign. Huh?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LBJ
I don't see anything new here. Pretty much the same old speculation with no real new inside information. He seems to somewhat base it on the recent website redesign. Huh?
I can throw darts at a board too!

If I were DL I'd make sure any changes for the next year were completely different, just to screw with the heads of the speculators.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP

blah blah blah, same old same old.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I can throw darts at a board too!

If I were DL I'd make sure any changes for the next year were completely different, just to screw with the heads of the speculators.
I don;t know why LedgeT won't weigh in again. It's weird.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You are absolutely correct.

The fact that they did not announce the change before the end of 1Q12 is proof positive that there will be no change.

Similarly, the fact that I am a few days overdue in returning my library book is proof positive that I never, ever intend to return it.

It's all so much more clear now.

Glad I could be your source of grounded wisdom.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Deadtail
I don;t know why LedgeT won't weigh in again. It's weird.
Maybe the mob with pitchforks and fire scared him away? Consider the post by another member here recently calling out the rumor and LedgeT specifically. Was quote, well, not nice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...otal-croc.html
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Maybe the mob with pitchforks and fire scared him away? Consider the post by another member here recently calling out the rumor and LedgeT specifically. Was quote, well, not nice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...otal-croc.html
LedgeT still posts here, but for some reason stopped standing behind the rumor guarantees. LedgeT wasn't the only one either.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Deadtail
LedgeT still posts here, but for some reason stopped standing behind the rumor guarantees. LedgeT wasn't the only one either.
Re-read my post above yours.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Not for me -- at least not if it meant that a K fare could be upgraded with SkyMiles but DL wants almost as many SkyMiles as it does for an award ticket.

As things stand right now, an M fare runs me about $1000 more than a K fare would, 50,000 SkyMiles gets me upgraded across the Atlantic in both directions and on most (if not all) of my domestic segments, the M fare is much more flexible than the K, and I earn 1.5 SkyMiles and MQMs for my M fare -- and with Gold or Platinum status, that means that I get almost as many SkyMiles as the upgrade costs me, and I can make Gold with two itineraries per year or Platinum with 3 -- and that gets me four SWUs.

I also have very little difficulty right now in getting upgrades, but if they are allowed on K fares, the competition for them will increase sharply.
I agree. Things are fine with me as they are. It also makes business sense. DL makes it hard to redeem miles for premium fares, but requires less miles and makes it relatively easier to upgrade provided you buy a more expensive YBM fare. I'm happy with that.

Originally Posted by dean1121
blah blah blah, same old same old.

I'll believe it when I see it.
They're clueless. My guess: AMEX isn't giving good referral bonuses for SkyMiles cards.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OMG - I thought this thread had gone to meet its maker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.