Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
THIS. The type of flyer that a new Skymiles needs to exclude from reward.
He flies on their planes for much more time than some HVCs though.
Sitting on a plane longer implies more loyalty.

Originally Posted by Bowgie
This fall, I have three rt's SAN-ATL-ICT-ATL-SAN. Very inefficient routing, but allowed. Anything east of Colorado can be routed thru ATL or JFK instead of SLC from the west coast.

Delta is not stupid; Delta knows this. It is just a minor cost or consequence of having the Mother of all Hubs tucked away in the corner of the continental U.S.

Addressing the quoted comment, Skymiles "parasites" are a trival consequence of Delta's hub geography. They are stuck with it.
Personally, I think Delta either does or should love mileage runners. Why? We suck up unwanted seat inventory so that the "must go" last minute traveller can pay thru the nose for "Y" fares.
Or there could be AP requirements.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM

So the jacka$$ trying to add more segments from MSP-ORD is more-loyal, and not trying to game the system?

I like the idea of origin/destination accrual.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Bowgie
... Delta is not stupid; Delta knows this. It is just a minor cost or consequence of having the Mother of all Hubs tucked away in the corner of the continental U.S. ...
I agree with you.

For example: five years ago, I found myself flying LAX-SLC-SJC about 4 times a year at the end of the day. My only alternative was to fly Southwest. My DL upgrades were ~100% and I was able to comfortably work in the plane. Often I was able to buy my ticket for <$100 OW.

If you try that itinerary today on DL.com you get a cheap alternative (nonstop on Alaska) or an expensive one (via SLC).

I am convinced that DL, has worked out the math and is quite OK with a few going for cheap stop over alternatives.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver

So the jacka$$ trying to add more segments from MSP-ORD is more-loyal, and not trying to game the system?

I like the idea of origin/destination accrual.
So the jacka$$ airline that charges more for A-B than A-B-C is not trying to game the customers?

And remember this is just one of the thousands of ways DL games their customers.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by blug
So the jacka$$ airline that charges more for A-B than A-B-C is not trying to game the customers?

And remember this is just one of the thousands of ways DL games their customers.
Couldn't resist sharing a few more examples:

- Adjust award chart with 0 day notice.
- Award fuel surcharge on partner airlines (except a few airlines that require DL to pay them the fuel surcharge, most fuel surcharge goes to DL's bank account, who doesn't operate the flight)
- Arbitrarily define award blackout dates.
- Charge more for medallions than non-medallions for the exact same flight, and lie about it (saying that it was a recent issue, and we never charged different prices for the exact same flight, both of which were not true)
- Force customers to pay foreign currency if originating from foreign countries

How does adding a connection en-route compare to these?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:54 pm

"Sitting on a plane longer implies more loyalty."

And....ya don't think that'll change...sooner or later?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:05 pm

Well, they are the ones with the $100million planes, the infrastructure, etc., etc.

It is simple economics...supply and demand.

If the market didn't support it, it wouldn't exist.

last I looked, DL load factors were through the roof.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Well, they are the ones with the $100million planes, the infrastructure, etc., etc.

It is simple economics...supply and demand.

If the market didn't support it, it wouldn't exist.

last I looked, DL load factors were through the roof.
Well said. It's easy to complain on FT, it's much harder to take your business elsewhere. But only one of those two will have any impact on future business decisions. (hint: Wall Street doesn't value feelings as much as cash.)
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Also, how about the airline that charges more for A-C than A-B-C? Happens all the time. Welcome to the new world of rev mgmt.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Also, how about the airline that charges more for A-C than A-B-C? Happens all the time. Welcome to the new world of rev mgmt.
I don't see that as so bad, as it makes sense with the current system. If you fly A-C directly then you save time, but it comes at a premium. If time is not as critical, you can take an indirect routing and save money.

What I usually see is ATL-XXX is more than YYY-ATL-XXX, but ATL-ZZZ-XXX is even more. So no extra miles, no saving time, just paying more money.

Of course, if the market will bear it, why not...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1. Both are basically con artists who, after you add in fees and other stuff, many times charge prices as high or higher than LCCs. But much of the public has bought into their spiel.
Absolutely untrue; I'll bet you never have even flown on Allegiant. On my most recent spring break trip with my sweetie, MN to Florida. I booked on Allegiant and included one piece of luggage roundtrip. early boarding, exit row seating and it was half the price of Delta. Basically two for the price of one on Delta.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club

Agree ^ As a midwesterner I'm not gonna do a double connect thru DTW or MSP and then again through ATL.

I don't give a fig how low Delta prices a forced connection through ATL.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Absolutely untrue; I'll bet you never have even flown on Allegiant. On my most recent spring break trip with my sweetie, MN to Florida. I booked on Allegiant and included one piece of luggage roundtrip. early boarding, exit row seating and it was half the price of Delta. Basically two for the price of one on Delta.
I have flown Allegiant. Enjoy the ride on the ancient md81 piece of flying junk that was so old other airlines cast it off. Add to that the 28 inch pitch, the customer base flying that airline, and everything else that is so Allegiant, and enjoy your flight. Please return your seats to the upright position - oh, that's right - they got rid of recline.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:00 am

I have flown Allegiant. Enjoy the ride on the ancient md81 piece of flying junk that was so old other airlines cast it off. Add to that the 28 inch pitch, the customer base flying that airline, and everything else that is so Allegiant, and enjoy your flight. Please return your seats to the upright position - oh, that's right - they got rid of recline.
Meh, not much difference between Allegiant MD-81 and Delta's MD-88s or MD-90's. Mostly I book an exit row and there is a lot of room and it's next best thing to first. I'm not a fan of the 28" pitch non-exit , but for a short trip like SFB-GSP that is not a big deal.

As to the customer base your comment reeks of snobbery. Flying to Florida on Allegiant it is fairly wholesome experience; a lot of families and a lot of nice people trying to save a buck.

Pricing is going to vary according to market conditions. but with deals to be had at half the cost of Delta I find it impossible not to like Allegiant. One point I will conceed is that if there is a mechanical or weather, I have heard (never personally experienced) that service recovery can be rough on Allegiant - caveat emptor.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
With apologies to H. G. Wells, The Shape of Things to Come?: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...delta-com.html

Until now, I really did believe that DL IT was capable of fixing the award calendar if they really wanted to, and that not doing so was just a business decision. Now I am questioning that belief since it appears that they launched a beta test into the real environment. They might not be as smart as I once thought. Or, it could be just a trial balloon, I suppose. Where is my aluminum hat? Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.