Skymiles Change Rumor?

Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
But aren't ALL airlines doing this? Has anyone increased capacity recently?
I forgot: B6
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
the Skypesos amex.
If these changes go into effect, and redemption of awards becomes fare based, it may be time to rename them SkyShillings

http://www.somalbanca.org/exchange-rates.html
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perhaps this thread has gotten some attention.

"SkyMilesInsider Is In the House"
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:48 pm

It would be interesting to see how an award structure like this affects availability that is pushed to partner airlines. As of now, it is virtually impossible for a member of a partner (SkyTeam, AS, etc) FFP to redeem for a Delta flight, due to the lack of low-band awards (we don't have access to Medallion availability). Any ideas on how such a change would affect the definition of "low?"

If such changes actually take place, my switch to AS and Flying Blue will finally be justified.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I am SURE that if this does switch, there will be a period in which to redeem "old" awards at "old" award levels.

I LOVE the idea of a fare-based award accrual, fare-based award redemtion, and ESPECIALLY fare-based MQM.

I am so tired of so many "Elites" clogging the system and clogging the benefits for those that contribute to the bottom line. When 1/3 of the plane is "elite", NOBODY is elite.
Is that the "Elite's" fault or Delta's?

This will work out real well for me as I fly shorter mile and higher $ fares... but I wonder when the lower fare elites leave what it will do to the availability of lower fares come the time I book? Low fare elites keep planes full enough to get those high $ fares when capacity is such. There are a ton of elites who help push fares up. Are new ones and kettles going to just jump in and fill that void?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
If these changes go into effect, and redemption of awards becomes fare based, it may be time to rename them SkyShillings

http://www.somalbanca.org/exchange-rates.html
I think they were referring to the Argentine peso when they named it that, which is a country that has had inflation problems in the past, and still does.
I know that because I am in EZE today (for work)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:54 pm

I have NO IDEA how I would shake out in the new system (if it indeed comes about). However, I can see DL wanting to dump a bunch of LUT elites on whom they are wasting perks. If they can give those that are truly contributing high profit margins and monitize the rest, they might be much-better off than giving a year's worth of upgrades to someone that found a mistake fare to SIN and flew it 5 times.
As a non-branded AMEX plat card holder, even if I fly a lot on T fares, DL makes up for it with (to some extent) my use of the SC. If this all shakes out as described and people either migrate to other carriers or are no longer loyal to an airline, how many people will drop their SC memberships and AMEX plat cards?

Last edited by sbjnyc; Mar 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This possible change is a good reminder to start burning those close to 800K SkyMiles that I have had sitting on my account.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
When other *A FFP members fly on NZ, do they still earn regular miles based on distance though (as part of their program, which I'd think states that for all *A airlines they earn miles based on distance)? Or do they earn these "airports dollars" instead (even though not NZ FFP members, and their FPP is not set to earn this way)?
You earn miles on other Star Alliance carriers Frequent flier programs when flying in on NZ.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
And NZ FFP members flying airlines other than NZ, presumably still earn based on mi distance.. or?
Nope. You earn Air Points based on the ticketed cabin and their zones. You can learn more about this at http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/airp...rt-from-1-june.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Skymiles insider, we know you are here reading, so chime in. To read and not make a statement is going to make us more upset.

If this is not true, of course you would tell us so, why let a horrible rumor fester.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
As a non-branded AMEX plat card holder, even if I fly a lot on T fares, DL makes up for it with (to some extent) my use of the SC. If this all shakes out as described and people either migrate to ore carriers or are no longer loyal to an airline, how many people will drop their SC memberships and AMEX plat cards?

Well, I am a PM and I dropped my SC membership because of the horrible zoo it has become. The current state of the Elite system makes me want to drop DL flying because of what it is. I have already taken ALL of my paid F to AA because it is far-closer to what I consider an F experience than what DL provides because they are giving it away. Modified MQM and a thinning of the herd would probably make me bring my paid F back to DL if they used the opportunity to improve domestic "F".
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Perhaps this thread has gotten some attention.

"SkyMilesInsider Is In the House"
Indeed... Though don't know if they login everyday, no history and never bothered to check before:

General Information
Last Activity: Today 10:56 pm
Referrals: 1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Skymiles insider, we know you are here reading, so chime in. To read and not make a statement is going to make us more upset.

If this is not true, of course you would tell us so, why let a horrible rumor fester.
again, SMI...not all of us see this rumor as "horrible". I, for one, would LOVE to see fare-based MQM. I don't feel "elite" at all when there are 80 people on an upgrade list and zone 1 boarding.

Last edited by bubbashow; Mar 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
again, SMI...not all of us see this rumor as "horrible". I, for one, would LOVE to see fare-based MQM.
Right but unless you are prepared to buy out a whole plane, it's not good.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I forgot: B6
....and ANOTHER fare-based accrual system.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Right but unless you are prepared to buy out a whole plane, it's not good.
LOL...yeah....because ALL passengers are going to leave DL? Where will they go? WN? Good...another fare-based accrual and redemption program.

Of course UA could put their entire fleet of 744s in ATL and make up the difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.