Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maximizing upgrade chance when flying in a group

Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)

In a situation where a PM flies with his family of two GMs and two FOs on one itinerary, what is the best way of getting as many upgrades as possible?

Will the PM and GMs be pulled down by the FOs on the itinerary and everybody in the group will end up being processed as an FO, resulting in no one getting an upgrade, or is that not the case since everybody is a medallion? I know that companion upgrades are processed last, but how is this handled?

Should I split the itineraries so that the GMs are together and the FOs are together and the PM is alone? (It shouldn't make a difference if everybody on one reservation is same tier and it's easier to organize 3 separate itineraries and not 5).

The goal here is to get as many upgrades as possible (and we all know that the FO wife will be the one to claim the upgrade in the end )

Thanks for your help, and although I'm sure I've seen this mentioned somewhere on here before, I am not sure if this specific case has been addressed (I failed at trying to find it)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:55 pm
Suspended

F on DL

Boss, if you want to be In F with me, best to buy an F ticket to ride.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:56 pm

Split all them into 4 separate reservations
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
And put the lower-status members in the better coach seats.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Boss, if you want to be In F with me, best to buy an F ticket to ride.
Hey Daddy, thanks for the awesome advice, but complimentary upgrades based on availability are a SkyMiles perk, which as a frequent flyer I would like to and will take advantage of, if I can. And I don't see a reason why I shouldn't.

It's really sad that you have to boost your ego here online, maybe you should go see a therapist about that. Being able to book a first class seat isn't really all that impressive, sorry. And if I really wanted it, I'd do it too, but why throw cash away when you can get the same seat either way?

All you other guys, thanks for your help
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Hey Daddy, thanks for the awesome advice, but complimentary upgrades based on availability are a SkyMiles perk, which as a frequent flyer I would like to and will take advantage of, if I can. And I don't see a reason why I shouldn't.

It's really sad that you have to boost your ego here online, maybe you should go see a therapist about that. Being able to book a first class seat isn't really all that impressive, sorry. And if I really wanted it, I'd do it too, but why throw cash away when you can get the same seat either way?

All you other guys, thanks for your help
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I count five.. 1 PM (OP), 2 GMs, 2 FOs. If there were any more then I'd be lost though, since my other hand is holding my phone.

Don't forget that the FOs don't get free EC, so after the PNR is split you will have to call to make any seat changes or reassign seats if there is an equipment swap or IT glitch. I don't think there's any advantage to splitting more than 7 days out for the same reason.

Also, if checking bags, the FOs will only have one free bag unless you link the PNRs after splitting and check the bags with an agent (not kiosk). Might want to link anyway in case of IROP, though it only helps when rebooking with an agent.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Dump the kettles and have your own PNR.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
agree with above. Split and give the upgrade to your wife, happens to me all the time.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Dump the kettles and have your own PNR.
Where are the kettles? 5 people - 1PM, 2GM, 2FO.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
beware of IRROPS

Just be aware in the event of a flight cancellation your various reservations will automatically be rebooked on other flights, and not necessarily the same flights. Happened to me once and I went through much grief trying to get us back together on the same flight. Since then I do not request upgrades when traveling with the family.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Where are the kettles? 5 people - 1PM, 2GM, 2FO.
There is an absolute scale of kettleishness, and I think this is discussing relative kettleship, where FOs live at the bottom. Another tactic is to upgrade the wife to someone who can pay for everybody's FC tickets, everybody in the family gets Diamond, and then we can have a lottery here in FT to see who they gift Gold to.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
There is an absolute scale of kettleishness, and I think this is discussing relative kettleship, where FOs live at the bottom. Another tactic is to upgrade the wife to someone who can pay for everybody's FC tickets, everybody in the family gets Diamond, and then we can have a lottery here in FT to see who they gift Gold to.
+1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Another tactic is to upgrade the wife to someone who can pay for everybody's FC tickets, everybody in the family gets Diamond
Anyone interested?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Anyone interested?
is this a version of who wants to marry a millionaire?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.