FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta's CRJs are KILLING me! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1323885-deltas-crjs-killing-me.html)

MPLS1969 Mar 12, 2012 1:51 am

Delta's CRJs are KILLING me!

200k+ miles with delta last year. Already 50k this year. All to and from MSP. I have started doing a lot more flights in the Midwest and South. Louisville, Jackson, Little Rock, Shreveport, Columbus...etc.

I have never dread flying more. Delta has clearly screwed over MSP flyers with an abundance of crappy 50 seat, no first class, tiny seat, no wifi CRJs...if you don't have to go through Atlanta or Memphis or Detroit instead.

What's the advantage of being Diamond? NOTHING!

Where are the newer planes?

2 hours in one of these pikes of junk? Wow.

flyingstudent Mar 12, 2012 1:56 am

Would you rather take nonstop on a CRJ from MSP over DL cancelling the thin route and you've to route through DTW/ATL or go with UA or AA connection in ORD?

UA Fan Mar 12, 2012 1:58 am

Shouldn't this be in the DL forum? BTW, OP how do you like the award availability?

MPLS1969 Mar 12, 2012 4:09 am

Sorry folks. I posted this from my phone...any chance a mod can move this to the delta area?

BusTrav8yrs Mar 12, 2012 6:59 am

I do feel for you. I am fortunate that I can drive an extra 30 miles to get to an airport that has real planes (LGA) versus those barbie jets (HPN). I avoid them like the plague :)

I didn't realize that so many are used from MSP, I guess the trade off is would you rather be in a SaaB prop.

2 hours is 1hr and 40 mins too long in those things, especially if you are over 5 feet tall.

But don't feel like you are alone UA/CO actually use more of these from large market airports than DL. The AA Embrarer regional jets are a little better than the CRJ.

ashill Mar 12, 2012 7:02 am

You do have the option of connecting on two mainline or larger regional jets with F on those routes, don't you?

Aside: 110 nights in hotels this year, 72 days into the year? Now that's something!

hazelrah Mar 12, 2012 7:05 am

I was searching for some flight options yesteday and was surprised at the number of CRJ options that came up out of MSP, "operated by dBa Pinnacle" or some such.

It wasn't only MSP but also DTW. Makes one wish for the DC-9s :(

3Cforme Mar 12, 2012 7:19 am

Delta made a commitment to place 2-cabin planes on domestic routes > 750 miles. I don't see where UA and AA have done the same thing. DL is fairly far along in installing wifi in those RJs, too.

A significant part of the problem can be the OP's destinations. A look at Flightstats shows only nine mainline jets scheduled into Jackson all day, three of which are Delta's. The other six don't have F cabins, Economy Comfort or even assigned seats.

bubbashow Mar 12, 2012 7:24 am

I feel your pain. I fly frequently DTWYUL. NOT a cheap ticket by any means. Always on a CRJ. Awful plane...worst in the fleet!

AlohaDaveKennedy Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am

Always great to start off for Europe or Asia on a Barbie Jet!:rolleyes: Have gotten pretty good packing Barbie Jet backpacks and gym bags since even my smaller rollers won't fit in the overhead. Just not big on gatechecking after a flight where the gatechecked luggage went missing for a week.

DLdweeb Mar 12, 2012 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MPLS1969 (Post 18182463)
200k+ miles with delta last year. Already 50k this year. All to and from MSP. I have started doing a lot more flights in the Midwest and South. Louisville, Jackson, Little Rock, Shreveport, Columbus...etc.

I have never dread flying more. Delta has clearly screwed over MSP flyers with an abundance of crappy 50 seat, no first class, tiny seat, no wifi CRJs...if you don't have to go through Atlanta or Memphis or Detroit instead.

What's the advantage of being Diamond? NOTHING!

Where are the newer planes?

2 hours in one of these pikes of junk? Wow.

There's no way Delta can understand how you truly feel if you keep holding back like this...

hazelrah Mar 12, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 18183337)
I didn't realize that so many are used from MSP, I guess the trade off is would you rather be in a SaaB prop

Personally I'd rather be on a Saab prop.

2 hours is 1hr and 40 mins too long in those things, especially if you are over 5 feet tall.

An hour and 15 minutes is my threshhold. If longer I try to find another option including driving or the AA ERJ rather than CRJ.

FlytheTail Mar 12, 2012 8:19 am

Originally Posted by MPLS1969 (Post 18182463)
... an abundance of crappy 50 seat, no first class, tiny seat, no wifi CRJs...

They are crap, the most uncomfortable planes in the sky -- other regional jets are better IMO.

I guess the trade off is would you rather be in a SaaB prop.

Yes; although noisy, Saabs have the single aisle and allows much more personal space.

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 18183464)
Awful plane...worst in the fleet!

+1000

One of the reasons I continued to fly DL (NW) was they had LAN-DTW mainline service. That ended with the merger, and thus, one less reason to fly DL. I know I'm a minority, but I'd prefer less frequent service with bigger planes.

motytrah Mar 12, 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah (Post 18183620)
Personally I'd rather be on a Saab prop.

I agree. The Sabb is 1x2 seat config. Being on the single seat side isn't all that bad compared to a 2x2 of the CRJ.

cardood Mar 12, 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 18183753)
They are crap, the most uncomfortable planes in the sky -- other regional jets are better IMO.

But at least the windows are tiny and well below your natural sight line. :)

My strategy for avoiding the Barbie jets to Chicago at least is to choose - yes choose - to fly into ORD. I even have a DC-9 trip later today.

c|d