Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's CRJs are KILLING me!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As for CRJ complaints, where have you guys been? It's all been said. The fifty-seat CRJs have nearly twenty years in commercial service at dozens of carriers.
I think the issue is using them for stages much longer than an hour.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by GaryD
See, I don't get this. Woudn't everyone be better off if they ALL reclined? If the seat is that bad with the seat in front reclined, isn't the problem with the airline, rather than with the other passenger?

Avoiding spreading obnoxious sounds is one thing, more up to each passenger/hotel guest. Avoiding use of space one has (presumably) paid for is another. Let the airlines limit the ability of the seats to recline, then, perhaps in Economy Class Minus or something.
On quite a few CRJ-200s I've flown with DL, particularly the Mesaba and ASA ones, there are seats scattered throughout the cabin that randomly don't recline. Not the pre-exit row seats, but row 10, row 4, row 2 for example will randomly be locked upright. It's more the mechanical state of these birds and the already-cramped feeling of them that keep me from reclining into the person behind me, because I don't know if they're one of the lucky winners who have a broken seat.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:46 am

It's funny there's this all this talk of "oh no, frequency rocks, no CRJs and the smal communities are screwed", yet Allegiant is doing very well with mainline, yet less-than-daily, point-to-point service to the small communities...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
It's funny there's this all this talk of "oh no, frequency rocks, no CRJs and the smal communities are screwed", yet Allegiant is doing very well with mainline, yet less-than-daily, point-to-point service to the small communities...
Allegiant is an entirely different business model. They fly primarily to vacation destinations, and yes, they do serve some small underserved cities. Comparing them to a mainline airline, however, is more apples to oranges.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:49 am

Flying on an ERJ-175 in FC this Friday. Are they roomier and more comfortable than the CRJ's?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Allegiant is an entirely different business model. They fly primarily to vacation destinations, and yes, they do serve some small underserved cities. Comparing them to a mainline airline, however, is more apples to oranges.
I understand what you mean, though it's still a stretch to call Grand Forks or Gary "vacation cities"
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Gold
Seats!

It is all about the seats in both the Embraers and the CRJs. They are terrible. (Embraer is Portuguese for "no seat padding".) When the CRJs are new the seats are at least tolerable. But once they have been in service awhile all the padding is crushed.

The best thing about Lufthansa is their seats. If Delta could get those on the Barbie jets it would help a lot.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I understand what you mean, though it's still a stretch to call Grand Forks or Gary "vacation cities"
Hold on now, Gary in the summer is quite lovely. I hear Gary is to Chicago as the Hamptons are to New York....
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
On quite a few CRJ-200s I've flown with DL, particularly the Mesaba and ASA ones, there are seats scattered throughout the cabin that randomly don't recline. Not the pre-exit row seats, but row 10, row 4, row 2 for example will randomly be locked upright. It's more the mechanical state of these birds and the already-cramped feeling of them that keep me from reclining into the person behind me, because I don't know if they're one of the lucky winners who have a broken seat.
Now this is thoughtful. DL messes up, and passenger willingly bears the brunt. Well played, sir.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Tiger Dude
I dodn't understand the issue with CRJ's except for overheads. The seats are not noticeably smaller than regular jets. I think it's phychological.
The curvature of the fuselage forces shoulder contact if normal-sized people are occupying both seats.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laf747
Flying on an ERJ-175 in FC this Friday. Are they roomier and more comfortable than the CRJ's?
Yes, I actually like the 175's, front OR back, much better than any CRJ. Maybe it's an illusion, but the cabin seems wider and not as cramped. Only flew on them a few times into MOT a year or two ago, but I remember being pleasantly surprised, comapred to other RJ's. FC has 2/1 seating, like the other Regionals, but, it just seems bigger somehow.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by laf747
F on the E75's is top-notch, especially if you can get 1A, the rest of the single-seat side is almost as nice.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nick207
F on the E75's is top-notch, especially if you can get 1A, the rest of the single-seat side is almost as nice.
We are 1C & 1D
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal

Yes, I actually like the 175's, front OR back, much better than any CRJ. Maybe it's an illusion, but the cabin seems wider and not as cramped. Only flew on them a few times into MOT a year or two ago, but I remember being pleasantly surprised, comapred to other RJ's. FC has 2/1 seating, like the other Regionals, but, it just seems bigger somehow.
Yup the cabin is actually a few inches larger. I believe the seats are bigger too. I love riding on the 175. It's the most comfortable RJ out there.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
<<<<<Yes, I actually like the 175's, front OR back, much better than any CRJ. Maybe it's an illusion...

No, it is not an illusion. The CRJ's 100 & 200 are genuinely, universally, miserably uncomfortable (unless you have a seat in row 1 with nobody next to you, so you can stretch out at an angle). Every other small aircraft (145's, 175's, CRJ-700's & 900's - - even Saab turboprops) are vastly more comfortable. The CRJ 100s & 200s are miniature torture chambers. The other small aircraft are perfectly acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.