Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skchin
Did you remind him that his country is about to be hammered by a category 5 hurricane?
Would've been sort of d***ish to do that don't you think?

BTW was likely on way to opening of UN session.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
From the news, he returned today, to be there for the hurricane instead of staying for the UN General Assembly.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
From the news, he returned today, to be there for the hurricane instead of staying for the UN General Assembly.
Good optics on the priorities and dedication to the voters.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
The rule is that non-revs are to be offered a meal selection only after all other passengers have been given their choice. The rule used to be that even among non-revs, the FAs are supposed to go in priority order (i.e., buddy passes last), but I don't know if that's still the rule.
The rule changed. New policy is purser manifests meals seat-by-seat without skipping around the cabin. If a nonrev's choice becomes unavailable, they come back and ask for a second choice.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
The rule changed. New policy is purser manifests meals seat-by-seat without skipping around the cabin. If a nonrev's choice becomes unavailable, they come back and ask for a second choice.
Many nonrevs will discretely volunteer a second choice or even say that it doesn't matter to them and offer to take what's left.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bergamini
I wasn't aware that non-revs got last meal choice but it makes sense though I'm also torn between knowing if it's a benefit and they use it, that they should get the full experience.
Non-revs should get last choice. And I say that as one.

The order ought to be:
1. Paid passengers. Doesn't matter if they paid cash, miles, cash+miles, cash+RUC/GUC, whatever. Those are all paid.
2. Op-ups.
3. Non-rev.
ESPECIALROB and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many nonrevs will discretely volunteer a second choice or even say that it doesn't matter to them and offer to take what's left.
Those of us who understand, yes. (I'll volunteer a second choice because there's usually at least one meal I can't eat due to dietary restrictions.)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On my TPAC flight (to be clear, in paid D1 so the "want D1, buy D1" crowd here can't get excited), meal orders were being taken in some nonstandard way. In fact, I had to remind the FA doing that task three times that my meal choice hadn't been requested yet. I might have been the last business class passenger to order as a result.

When the FA finally diegned to let me order dinner, she said that my choice, the beef, was out. My response: "Really? As a Diamond on a paid D1 ticket, I would have expected to get my first choice especially since I know that there are a lot of nonrevs in D1 on this flight today." Implicitly I knew that she understood that I was prepared to file a complaint with DL if I didn't get the beef. She said that she would have the purser come talk to me. However, a few minutes later the FA came back and said that they had somehow "found" a beef entree for me.

For the record, there were about seventeen nonrevs in D1 on the flight and of course every D1 seat was occupied, with a few additional nonrevs getting coach seats and no one left behind.

Really it shouldn't be necessary to remind the FAs working in D1 on prime long haul routes (and this was a FA who looked older, so she presumably has been a FA for DL/PMNW for a very long time) of the rule that nonrevs are supposed to get the meals that are left over after all revenue passengers have made their selections. It would have been extremely improbable that none of the seventeen or so nonrevs had picked the beef and I knew it, so I would have been ready to file a complaint on that basis and point out that procedures weren't followed, starting with the initial order in which meal choices were taken.
Actually it is your fault. Delta used to go by status but one Diamond complained that several others came before him. Now they go down one aisle and back another. Once seated "all in first are equal" (including non-revs). Next you will say that the diamond who used miles and is thus also a non-rev, should come last. FOR SHAME ON YOU!!!!
You should have ordered what you wanted online prior to the flight.

It is you who are a DYKWIA and what this forum is about!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
addendum.
Deadheads in uniform don't count on "all equal"
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Actually it is your fault. Delta used to go by status but one Diamond complained that several others came before him. Now they go down one aisle and back another. Once seated "all in first are equal" (including non-revs). Next you will say that the diamond who used miles and is thus also a non-rev, should come last. FOR SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Someone who paid miles is not a non-rev. Delta's accounting includes a charge for miles in customers' accounts, so spending miles counts as revenue.

Only someone who isn't paying anything (except maybe taxes, which don't affect Delta's revenue) is a non-rev.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

I've never passed on an opportunity to poke MSP, but this is terrible post, probably belongs in a hall of shame.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:12 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

Delta doesn't have online meal preordering except for special meals.

I think it is entirely appropriate for revenue passengers to get their meal choices before non-revs and I think that MSPeconomist addressed it well.

While you might disagree in substance, your personal attack against her is uncalled for.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Do you even know what airline you're talking about? DL has no pre-order. DL FA at least on D1 flights generally ask DM for selection before others. Non-revs are certainly not equal to revenue (paid or mileage or cert) customers.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Isn't the new rule effectively the same thing? If I'm understanding what you've written correctly, if a paying passenger asks for steak, and a non-rev already asked for steak, the FA is supposed to give steak to the paying passenger and ask the non-rev to choose something else. Under this new process, just like the old rule when they wouldn't ask the non-revs until the paying passengers had chosen, the FA is not supposed to give steak to a non-rev when a paying passenger wants one.

("Paying" includes upgrades and FF mile awards, by the way.)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:13 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I was on DL985 on Sunday huge DYKWIA moment.

Last dude on the plane takes his sweet time to introduce himself to everyone in first. Shaking hands etc as if he was some big shot.

Turned out he was some big shot, the president of the Dominican Republic.
A case of IKWIA ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.