Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by tennessetom
- woman gets out phone and says i am writing to delta about this right now - we push back FA stands in front of the first class section and announces to the passengers - we are very sorry that we were unable to provide pre-flight beverages but we were specifically told by operations not to so that we could get this flight out and have all of you make your connections -
Wow, those ladies have SOME stones. FA actually addresses the issue by giving a reasonable response and they're still hot and bothered? I love my PDBs, but come on. From your account, it's not like the FAs were standing in the galley chit-chatting. Feel bad for all parties involved.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by tennessetom
. . .women says to her friend well i can see not serving everyone drinks but he should have gotten us our drinks
Good grief!

BDP in a sippy cup or baby bottle for the baaaaaabies?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DM MM
Originally Posted by ACCDraw
BDP in a sippy cup or baby bottle for the baaaaaabies?
I don't know what a BDP is, but I am sitting in FC and I also want one of those with my PDB before we push back.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Man, you elites want everything ...

(Ha ha.)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by RoadGame
I don't know what a BDP is, but I am sitting in FC and I also want one of those with my PDB before we push back.
Blush. I'm slightly dyslexic or maybe my keyboard is.

(BDP is enantiomer of PDB?)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Don't know if this qualifies for DYKWIA status as it didn't happen on the plane but here goes:

At TSA Pre in IAD this morning which was actually moving pretty fast, something a little out of the ordinary because of IAD's physical setup. There is a choke point between the podium agents checking IDs and the staging table for the baggage scanner; three feet separates the two. Generally IAD has two podium agents. Both lines feed the lone baggage scanner.

There were maybe 12 PAX total in the two podium lines. The agents in the first line were in some kind of shift change as I arrived so I got in the other line. Little Miss was at the end of first line and got impatient so she got behind me. Naturally the line slowed way down once PAX from the first line started clearing again as they were waiting their turn for the staging table. PAX ahead of me got his docs clears and there was enough room for the agent to motion me forward. Mine cleared but there was nowhere for me to go so I just stood there, until I felt a nudge behind me.

"Excuse me please, I have these", said Little Miss while trying to extend/push her docs and ID past me.
"No one's going anywhere quickly", I replied as kindly as I could as I was in a very good mood for that time of the morning and I really couldn't move. There was just no where to go.
But she continued to push her docs forward. "It's really not all that important".
"I'm sorry, yes it is", was my final reply as the gentleman ahead of me glanced back to get a look at what was going on.

I don't get it, in any TSA line you are simply not going anywhere quickly. She was not in any rush because after clearing security she took her time walking to wherever she was going and she did not have that "Oh my I'm going to miss my flight if you don't let me skip ahead right now" which I am generally pretty happy to accommodate. It was just "I'm here, let me through".
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
That took place right in front of a TSA officer doing ID check, right? If so they should've said something.

Unfortunately impatient people understand that there isn't anything you (as an employee, person in line, car on the road, etc.) can do.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:22 am

Today's 2297 ATL-JAX on a Mad Dog. Usually a very tame crowd. Call for pre-boards and the FC passengers started to line up. Mrs AB and I were 5th and 6th. There were 10 or 12 people in line. Man and woman came across and ducked under the tape in front of the 3rd person in line. She let them have it. They moved to the side of the line and then the guy hip checked me to have their boarding passes scanned. I told my wife that we should wait since the people in 4A and 4B were much more important than the rest of us. Laughter from the rest of the line. The woman turned back to me and said, "We JUST want to get home."

Mrs. AB is putting the over/under on alcoholic beverages for the 45 minute flight at 1.5 apiece. Betting line is moving higher after the PDB.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
Today's 2297 ATL-JAX on a Mad Dog. Usually a very tame crowd. Call for pre-boards and the FC passengers started to line up. Mrs AB and I were 5th and 6th. There were 10 or 12 people in line. Man and woman came across and ducked under the tape in front of the 3rd person in line. She let them have it. They moved to the side of the line and then the guy hip checked me to have their boarding passes scanned. I told my wife that we should wait since the people in 4A and 4B were much more important than the rest of us. Laughter from the rest of the line. The woman turned back to me and said, "We JUST want to get home."
Last Wed I was in JAX sitting at A10 waiting for my UA flight and witnessed the same thing for a MD flight headed to ATL. Wonder if this is the same couple.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:14 am

Possible DYKWIA. A woman and her 2 kids were seated near the back of the plane. For a majority of the flight, these two little girls (maybe 3 and 5) were just running up and down the length of the plane (and sitting in the aisle towards FC) while the mother sat in the back on her iPad. No bad behavior by the kids, but seemed unusual that you would be ok with letting your kids do that on a plane. The FAs walked the girls back to the mother a few times, but she obviously didn't get the hint as this continued for a while longer.

Second case: getting ready to push back but my seat mate is on his phone. FA sees him and says the plane won't leave with him on the phone. He says it's an emergency phone call, so they offer to let him off. "Just hang on, I'll be done in a few minutes." FA asks if it's an emergency then he needs to get off the plane or deal with it when we land. This continues for a few minutes, then the guy in the row behind us starts talking about how has been flying on Delta for 40 years, and I need to leave right now to make my meeting.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This reminds me of the incident (and lawsuit) about WN demanding that a passenger get off the phone instantly when she was trying to talk her husband out of committing suicide. FAs could well feel a bit gun-shy about demanding that the phone be turned off immediately as soon as the person claims it's an emergency.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Maybe, but if it's really that type of emergency, the person shouldn't still be sitting in the seat.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Maybe, but if it's really that type of emergency, the person shouldn't still be sitting in the seat.
Maybe, but staying on the flight could get the passenger back to the dying relative or whatever ASAP versus deplaning to finish the conversation and at best hoping to get space on the next flight. It could be a very difficult dilemma to face at a difficult time.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This reminds me of the incident (and lawsuit) about WN demanding that a passenger get off the phone instantly when she was trying to talk her husband out of committing suicide. FAs could well feel a bit gun-shy about demanding that the phone be turned off immediately as soon as the person claims it's an emergency.
FA wasn't gun shy about it at all. She was ready to boot him if he didn't hang up. She asked if he needed to stay or go several times. They were ready to open the door for him depending on what the emergency was. No one asked and he never shared.

Originally Posted by jsk1973
The real DYKWIA was the 40-year Delta flyer. I probably should have expanded on that more. His insistence that his years of loyalty trumped everyone else was quite laughable.

I have no clue what the emergency was and whether it was/was not justified. I won't speculate on that point, but I thought it was interesting that no explanation was given, then the 40-year flyer chimed in that we needed to leave so he could make his meeting.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 13, 2016 at 8:29 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:45 pm

Question

What emergency can one resolve on the other end of a phone?

Not being sarcastic, just asking for scenarios.

If it is an emergency, why are you calling me instead of emergency services? Do you think I can deplane and get to you faster than an ambulance? Do you want me to talk you through the steps to do after snakebite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.